Listening to Games on the Radio

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As a kid I used to listen to as many Pittsburgh Pirates games on the radio as I could. Bob Prince and Jim "The Possum" Woods were like old friends. In fact I met Prince a few times and each time he was very friendly tothe young boy who had approached him.
Used to listen to the Steelers on radio occasionally, and once in a while the Penguins. But that was a long time ago. Was wondering if anyone still goes out of their way to listen to sports events on the radio at home, rather than picking one up for a bit while driving somewhere. With just about everything televised now, radio seems to have lost its appeal.

I grew up listening to ball games on the radio. In the early 1960's, it was the only way to follow sports on a day to day basis. The weekend was the only time you could see sporting events on TV unless you lived in or near a city with a big league team. Younger people would be amazed that you would never see a ball game on TV during the week if you lived out in the country as I did.

Many announcers would take pride in broadcasting a game on the radio. They considered it an art form. When you listen to a game on the radio, you form the picture in your mind.

I used to listen to Harry Caray do the St. Louis Cardinal games during the 1960's. To me, it was fun to root against the Cardinals and Harry. Sometimes I listened to Waite Hoyt on the Cincinnati Red games. When there was a rain delay, Hoyt would talk about his days on the 1920's Yankees. He would tell Babe Ruth stories for a couple of hours until the game either resumed or was called.

I followed the Tennessee Vol football team on the radio. They were only on TV once or at most twice a year.

I don't listen to ball games on the radio any more unless I'm in my car.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great topic, Don! I have always been a fan of radios and listened to
college football games in the 1990s almost exclusively on the radio,
mainly out of necessity. Everyone here knows I love college football
and I still listen to a few games on the radio, but not as much as when
I was
in the South. I grew up living in the country and with no cable TV. We
had just a few channels and maybe 4 or so games on Saturday. So I
became very familiar with the stations that aired college football.

Radio
networks are more extensive there and you can take
your pick of stations and games in some areas. Out here, internet radio
is more effective when trying to listen to a game other than Utah or
BYU. Some of my fondest memories as a teenage college football fan were
in Louisiana, sitting on our living room couch in total darkness
listening to Jim Hawthorne describe the action, "moving left to right
on your radio." Even though I had only driven around Tiger Stadium
once, I could picture what was going on in my mind from what he was
saying. Most of those games were on WWL out of New Orleans.

I
remember listening to LSU get beat by Notre Dame in the 1997 regular
season, and then going to the rematch in the Independence Bowl that
December. The craziest game I heard in 1997 was the first Kentucky win
over Alabama. The celebration after the overtime TD lasted for over an
hour. There was a constant roar behind the voices of the announcers. I
don't know what station I heard it on, but it was a UK network station.
I had a great radio that
would pick up clear channel AM stations from New England to west of
Denver, all from North Louisiana. While living there, I remember barely
picking up the Arkansas radio network when they lost to Ole Miss in

I also remember listening to some colossal SEC overturns in
Mississippi, like Ole Miss coming back from way behind to beat Southern
Methodist in 1998, and Mississippi State coming from behind to beat Ole
Miss in the 1999 Egg Bowl. Radio was the best way I had to listen to
college football, especially from the 1992-1997 seasons, when I was an
Ole Miss fan in enemy territory. I listened to the Ole Miss/LSU game
every year while living in Louisiana. I also listened to some Vol
Network games with John Ward doing the play by play, after moving back
to Mississippi in 1998.

As for baseball, I never
listened to it much because I've never been a baseball fan. In the past, I have
listened to quite a few Monday Night Football games on the radio.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

PhillyBirds

Mentor
When I was younger I grew up listening to the legendary Harry Kalas call Phillies games. However, I was too young to remember him calling games with his longtime partner, Hall of Fame centerfielder Richie "Whitey" Ashburn. Both of them did the TV game too, but I used to just sit on the back porch with my dad and listen to the game while he smoked big cigars.

Now, the radio broadcasters for Philadelphia sports don't carry the same luster that Harry did. Former Eagles WR Mike Quick and his partner Merrill Reese calls the Eagles games, which aren't terrible from a Caste perspective, but not great either. Former Phillie Larry Andersen calls baseball with Scott Frandzke, and are about neutral too.

However, I just found out tonight that former Patriots/Eagles RB Kyle Eckel is on a few broadcasts on local sports talk radio throughout the day! He's a local guy, and I hope he continues his broadcasting endeavors. He stated today, at the behest of a caller, that he still wants to play in the NFL, but would consider looking at the UFL in the future.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Paleocon

Guru
I grew up with the Cincinnati Reds radio broadcast team of Marty Brenneman and "The Old Left-hander" Joe Nuxhall. We didn't have television so radio was how I followed the Reds.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I was always a big fan of the "voice of the Dawgs"...legendary UGA football play-by-play announcer Larry Munson. I remember listening to Ernie Johnson Sr., Skip Caray & Pete van Wieren call Braves games on WSB as well.

Listen to Lions on radio, because they're best served while doing something constructive.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I still listen to almost all sports on TV with radio audio. I like the regular announcers and their familiarity with the players and teams. Local announcers are less likely to have a "caste" perspective because they know the white players and don't label them as "hard-working" or deceptively fast or whatever.

I also don't like to sit in front of the TV for any period of time so I will record the games and listen to them live on the radio while doing something else. If it was worth watching I'll speed through it afterwards, or if the game has an exciting ending I'll watch that.

Like most of the older guys as a kid I got most of my sports, mainly baseball, but also college football and hockey from the radio. I remember as a kid listening to the games and reinacting the plays as they happened.

Here in Detroit a long time and beloved retired Tiger broadcaster Ernie Harwell was recently diagnosed with cancer. He's 90-something but still alert and strong voiced. The whole area is going through a massive downer as he makes a few last visits and interviews before he eventually passes away. So many people remember his voice on the radio and associate it with summer nights and ball games.

He is an exceptional person, even with death right around the corner for him he is upbeat. He is very religious in that humble manner that makes you want to have the same kind of simple faith in God and heaven that he has.

We have had many memorable broadcasters in the Detroit area, and I'm sure that is true for other places as well. It's funny how you can identify with the guy doing the play-by-play and it seems like they are a friend after spending so many years listening to them.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Great topic, Don! I have always been a fan of radios and listened to
college football games in the 1990s almost exclusively on the radio,
mainly out of necessity. Everyone here knows I love college football
and I still listen to a few games on the radio, but not as much as when
I was
in the South. I grew up living in the country and with no cable TV. We
had just a few channels and maybe 4 or so games on Saturday. So I
became very familiar with the stations that aired college football. Radio
networks are more extensive there and you can take
your pick of stations and games in some areas. Out here, internet radio
is more effective when trying to listen to a game other than Utah or
BYU. Some of my fondest memories as a teenage college football fan were
in Louisiana, sitting on our living room couch in total darkness
listening to Jim Hawthorne describe the action, "moving left to right
on your radio." Even though I had only driven around Tiger Stadium
once, I could picture what was going on in my mind from what he was
saying. Most of those games were on WWL out of New Orleans. I
remember listening to LSU get beat by Notre Dame in the 1997 regular
season, and then going to the rematch in the Independence Bowl that
December. The craziest game I heard in 1997 was the first Kentucky win
over Alabama. The celebration after the overtime TD lasted for over an
hour. There was a constant roar behind the voices of the announcers. I
don't know what station I heard it on, but it was a UK network station.
I had a great radio that
would pick up clear channel AM stations from New England to west of
Denver, all from North Louisiana. While living there, I remember barely
picking up the Arkansas radio network when they lost to Ole Miss in
1997. I also remember listening to some colossal SEC overturns in
Mississippi, like Ole Miss coming back from way behind to beat Southern
Methodist in 1998, and Mississippi State coming from behind to beat Ole
Miss in the 1999 Egg Bowl. Radio was the best way I had to listen to
college football, especially from the 1992-1997 seasons, when I was an
Ole Miss fan in enemy territory. I listened to the Ole Miss/LSU game
every year while living in Louisiana. I also listened to some Vol
Network games with John Ward doing the play by play, after moving back
to Mississippi in 1998. As for baseball, I never
listened to it much because I've never been a baseball fan. In the past, I have
listened to quite a few Monday Night Football games on the radio.
I remember Hawthorne during the bluegrass miracle getting the name wrong of who caught it at first but still an exciting moment. Ive liked him as an announcer. Ive listened to a few LSU games this year but just not that interested in the team since Jacob Hester turned pro. It was Jacob Hester that really made me aware of the caste system.

I still listen to WWL during Saints games with the tv sound off. It is a habit I picked up from my dad, I remember as a little kid not really watching the tv but trying to act out what the announcers were saying in my living room. You just cant get that same feel when listening to the tv announcers.

The announcers on tv have an agenda and it is a big reason why dwfs think the way they do. I read Saints message boards and fans come up with the most ridiculous things and I wonder where they get the ideas from, sure enough watching a replay of the game the announcers are pretty much telling fans what to think of the game and players. For instance black receiver drops a catchable ball that wasn't perfectly thrown "pass thrown behind him, you know he had his corner beat, the quarterback has to do a better job of getting that ball on the money" then fans will think the quarterback has to do a better job or a White TE/WR fails to make any catch, regardless of how poorly thrown "hes really got to make that catch right there" then fans think "man i cant believe he dropped it, he should have had that"

For the Saints during the Haslett years I stopped watching them on tv. I would still listen to it on WWL sometimes though. I wasn't aware of the caste system or racially conscious but something about the team just made me lose interest, especially after Jake Delhomme came in and played better than Brooks.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Growing up in Dallas I was very priviledged to listen too the late Mark Holtz call the Texas Ranger games, Ralph Strangis and Razor call the Stars games and it didn't get any better than Verne Lundquist and Brad Sham calling the Cowboy games. Sham and Norm Hitzges also did some great sports call in shows on the radio. I have traveled to many other areas these last few years and nothing comes close to the the guys I grew up with and listened to for most of my life. Baseball is by far the best sport for radio and me and my late grandfather listened to many Ranger games.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i used to listen to Razorback games, both football and basketball, on the radio even when i was watching them on tv. the voice of the Razorbacks was Paul Eells, and he was a class act all the way around. i had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and working with him a couple of times, and he was a complete professional and one of the bare handful of sports media personalities that i enjoyed talking with.

unfortunately, he died in a single car crash on his way home from doing a sports show. some say he was under the influence of alcohol at the time. but regardless, i always liked listening to him call games. he carefully walked the line of being pro-Razorback while not being a complete homer and also giving credit to the opposition with total class. he was also a very humble man when off the air.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood said:
i used to listen to Razorback games, both football and basketball, on the radio even when i was watching them on tv. the voice of the Razorbacks was Paul Eells, and he was a class act all the way around. i had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and working with him a couple of times, and he was a complete professional and one of the bare handful of sports media personalities that i enjoyed talking with.
<div> </div>
<div>unfortunately, he died in a single car crash on his way home from doing a sports show. some say he was under the influence of alcohol at the time. but regardless, i always liked listening to him call games. he carefully walked the line of being pro-Razorback while not being a complete homer and also giving credit to the opposition with total class. he was also a very humble man when off the air.</div>

I remember Paul Eells. Before he went to Arkansas, he worked for the Nashville NBC station. He was the broadcaster for Vanderbilt football and basketball when he was in Nashville.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I still listen to some Nebraska and Steelers games on the radio. Sometimes Penguins and Red Sox as well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Since I don't have cable television I listen to my fair share of radio broadcasts. Local games are my favourite. One sport I miss on the radio is boxing. Boring fights on video are made interesting by a good call. I recall Tyson-Bruno I on the radio and the announcer made it seem that Bruno shook Tyson. Years later when I saw the video the shot wasn't as impressive as it sounded live. Also in Europe radio sports are still a fairly important part of the sporting landscape as the BBC covers tennis and golf on the radio. Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white is right, since you brought up listening to boxing, it made me think of hearing the Holmes/Tyson fight on the radio in 1988. My grandfather had heard about the championship fight and wanted to listen to it, so I sat with him till it was over. That wasn't very long, because Tyson won by TKO in the 4th. That's the only boxing match I ever heard on the radio.

Bronk

Mentor
I grew up in the 1970s when there was only one, sometimes two, college football games on TV on Saturdays (ABC monopoly). As a result, I would listen to SWC games on the radio. At night I would lay in the bed of my dad's pickup and tune them in.

We always took our transitors to the stadium to listen to the broadcast, too. Still do that.

My brother-in-law played football at SMU in the late 1970s, early 1980s and his parents literally notched the spot above the numbers band on the radio where the station was so they could find it quicker. Thirty years later that radio is still in their kitchen and that notch remains.

There are two fights that I heard on the radio that I remember. The first was Patterson-Johansson III in 1961. In the 1st round it went, "Down goes Patterson! Down goes Patterson! Down goes Ingo!"

The second was Clay-Liston I in 1964. When Liston did not come out for the 7th round, Howard Cosell shouted, "He's not coming out! He's not coming out! Sonny Liston is not coming out!"

white is right

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
white is right, since you brought up listening to boxing, it made me think of hearing the Holmes/Tyson fight on the radio in 1988. My grandfather had heard about the championship fight and wanted to listen to it, so I sat with him till it was over. That wasn't very long, because Tyson won by TKO in the 4th. That's the only boxing match I ever heard on the radio. 
Basically radio rights died for boxing when the fights became the property of premium cable networks. I recall some fights were inconsistently broadcast into the late 90's on Westwood I. They all were mid level bouts that weren't worthy of PPV. In England the big bouts are still covered on the radio. Before the net feeds were watchable I used to listen to some big HBO fights on BBC 5 if I didn't feel like looking for a fight in Toronto at various pubs. I listened to Hasbeen Rockhead ko Lennox Lummox off of their feed in 02'.