License to Pill

There is a lot of truth to this little parody video, Shogun. In the past twenty years or so, a riduculous amount of "disorders" have emerged, and as a result, the world has turned to medication to fix them. Unfortunately, we live in the "medication age", and many people (probably the majority of the population) feels that every problem we have can be fixed with a prescription. Most of the population has completely evicted the phrase "natural remedy" from their vocabulary. Instead, everyone runs to a practitioner and demands pills to fix whatever problem (usually psychological) arises.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Human beings have lived an existance of nearly unrelenting pain and discomfort since the beginning of time. An age has come about with tremendous stresses unparelled in history and something we are not in the least evolved for. It's hard to criticize the desire of a person to relieve their own suffering even if it's all imagined. I believe in the freedom of a person to put what they want into their body, it effects me very little (or at least should) so why should I care?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know, I see it both ways. Yes, the libertarian streak in me says let them take whatever they want. On the other hand, our attitudes toward illness could be seen as a sort of marker of how we want to avoid pain, any pain, all pain, regardless of the consequences. Sort of symptomatic (no pun intended) of the over all dumbing down of our country, in a way.

As far as how it effects me personally, I'm not educated enough to know whether the abundant supply, advertisement, and pushing of thousands of different meds effects my health insurance premiums, doctor's fees, or other tangential medical costs.

On a personal note, I know of several people personally who have been over-medicated to the point that the medicine made them ill, rather than well.

There is also the problem with over-prescription of antibiotics that same say are breeding stronger viruses.

Really though, I just thought the cartoon was very funny, poignant and a sign of the times.
smiley36.gif