Last Time a team started 11 whites

Freedom

Mentor
I think the Patriots started 10 or 11 whites today. Brady, Evans, an all white O-line, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Mike Wright. David Thomas, I don't know if he technically started, but he led the entire team in receiving with 5 catches for roughly 85 yards. So that would be 11, if it matters.

I believe I've seen the Saints start 9 or 10 with 4 whites on defense, Brees, Carney, and the white offensive lineman.

I think the Rams may have reached 11 white starters with Sehorn, Sorensen, and Curtis.

When can you guys recall teams starting at least 11 whites?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Consistently? Probably the early 90s Bills were the last. Don has mentioned them on here several times as maybe being the last half white team.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the early '90s Bills come to mind as having half white starters along with a half white roster. Those seem to be the official maximums allowed under the Caste System.

Jacksonville's playoff teams of the late '90s had around 10 white starters, and Dan Reeves' last couple teams in Atlanta had 10 at times. The Rams and Colts and Lions have been close at times but I can't recall a team that consistently started a half white team since the Bills.

Freedom

Mentor
Thanks. I recall seeing the Bills games on ESPN classic. I wonder if things could've gone differently if Buffalo beat Dallas once. Nothing against Norwood though.

But I didn't mean consistently and I just meant really, this decade and one time, or for a couple of games.

Edited by: Freedom

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't see the point in knowing that, freedom, because if it isn't consistent, it doesn't really mean much. Yeah, some people will point to the Dolphins as being the first team to start all blacks, but the team that will really be remembered is the one that starts all blacks for a whole season, or has an entirely black roster. I was a huge Bills fan back then, way before I knew about the Caste System, and I always wanted them to get just 1 Super Bowl. I learned a lesson through being a fan of them, and that is that sometimes what you want, even if you hope for it for years, doesn't materialize. Scott Norwood lost the first Bills Super Bowl against the Giants. I watched it and was crushed. To try to answer your question though, because I myself am a stats junkie, I'm really not sure who the last team was to field half white starters. I think I speak for several people on this board who don't root for NFL teams anymore, even if they happen to be close to half white, we just root for certain players. Ideally, I'd like to see the two whitest teams in the Super Bowl every year, but given the current state of the National Fro League, they wouldn't be all that white.

devans

Mentor
I've had a look and the results are depressing.
First I checked the Colts because they have a lot of white players on Offence - but the defence is all black.
So I then looked at the Bills (who have a lot of white defensive players) and was amazed to find that their entire Offensive Line including tight end, was all black.
I've stopped now. I can't go on.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bucs started 9 whites several weeks ago, Gradkowski QB, Becht TE, Alstott FB, Wade, Buenning, Mahan, Trueblood on O-Line and Rudd and Hovan on defense.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
devans said:
I've had a look and the results are depressing.

First I checked the Colts because they have a lot of white players on Offence - but the defence is all black.
So I then looked at the Bills (who have a lot of white defensive players) and was amazed to find that their entire Offensive Line including tight end, was all black.
I've stopped now. I can't go on.

Well, at least they can't blame the Colts atrocious defense on a lack of affaletes.