Kill a Person for $500

BoxingFanUK

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/990586--driver-fined-500-after-killing-pedestrian?bn=1

Please have a read of this article it talks about a woman (white) pedestrian who was hit and killed in Toronto by a black male driver, while correctly crossing on a green light. The driver's explanation was that he "didn't see the victim" crossing. The driver was fined $500 and criminal charges of careless driving against him were dropped, even though he acknowledged it was his fault and he was at error.

So, basically, in Canada, you can kill a pedestrian and simply pay a $500 fine, and no criminal charges. Even if the pedestrian was crossing correctly on a green light, and the driver makes the error and is at fault. Only a $500 fine will come your way. You can kill a person and just pay $500.

Article said:
On Thursday, Obarasiagbon Umanmwen, 39, of Brampton pleaded guilty
to failing to yield to a pedestrian at a cross walk. He was fined $500,
the maximum fine for the offence under the Highway Traffic Act. He will
also make a $500 charitable donation.

"The
fine in no way reflects the loss that is deeply and sincerely felt by
her family and the community,"Â￾ Justice of the Peace Mangesh Singh
Duggal told a Brampton court in accepting the plea.

Umanmwen
was initially charged with careless driving by Peel Cst. Ken Wright.
Police say careless driving is one of the toughest offences under the
Highway Traffic Act to prove. In the end, he was allowed to plead to a
lesser charged instead of going to trial.
This is disgusting and its degrading Canadian social norms to a third-world level.

I'm not even concerned with the racial aspect (black perp, white victim), Im just speaking in general terms. Criminals are afforded too much luxury and leniency in Canada.

Having lived in Canada (my username is BoxingfanUK, but I actually reside in Canada) for over 10 years, let me just say I notice the quality of life in Canada is decreasing perpetually.

I mean, I **honestly** have friends who have been fined for consuming alcohol in a public space and they got a 200$ fine. Smoking in public is more than 1,000$ fine.

Killing a person is only $500. Smoking a cigarette in public is more expensive, and a more significant fine than killing a pedestrian when the driver is at fault.

I honestly believe Canada is going backwards and incidents like this just prove it. The driver is at fault, kills someone, and pays $500, and everythings fine.

What does everyone think about this?

Edited by: BoxingFanUK

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"What does everyone think about this?"

I guarantee you that if a Canadian white person called this guy the "N-word" or was heard saying that blacks have lower IQs than whites or commit more crimes, that he/she would get much more than a $500 fine.

Anak

Mentor
Liverlips said:
"What does everyone think about this?"

I guarantee you that if a Canadian white person called this guy the "N-word" or was heard saying that blacks have lower IQs than whites or commit more crimes, that he/she would get much more than a $500 fine.

A Canadian stand-up comedian was just recently sued for $15,000 by a lesbian heckler for hurting her feelings and violating her "human rights." The owner of the club where the incident took place also had to pay her $7,500.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The untermensch (like most) has no business operating a motor vehicle. He oughta get a taste of the bullwhip & thrown into the can (as he certainly doesn't have the $ to pay restitution to that woman's family).

waterbed

Mentor
In europe this is called dood door schuld(accident with responsiblity) and you get often 2 to 3 years prison for it, the prison is for taking such amount of risk.