Kevin Kaesviharn

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No its not a Thai name. Just because his dad lived in Thailand doesn't mean he is all Thai anyway.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I definitely agree that this is not an Arian site or I wouldn't be posting on this board. This is a site that demands equality for whites and uses sports discrimination as an example of injustice. I have seen a few racist comments posted, but for the most part most of us are pretty fair minded.

There are even times that I root for blacks. In the NFL I only would root for a black coach or maybe a black QB (there will always be lots of white QBs) because I don't consider them enablers of the Pro black athlete caste system.

I really root for Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards as coaches, because they are fairer to white players than most of the white coaches. In fact Dungy may be tied with Martz for fairest in the league.

I do like Tiki Barber, even though he's a black RB, because he is a class act that even had positive things to say about Sean Bennett a white RB who was competing with him for playing time. I sometimes root for Lebron James and Dwayne Wade (Dwayne Wade is also a class act) in basketball because I like their style of play and there is much less of a caste system in basketball although it does exist. I certainly am happy for Kaesviharn b/c he is a caste-buster that beat the odds.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Tough J,
I sometimes root for Lebron James and Dwayne Wade (Dwayne Wade is also a class act) in basketball because I like their style of play and there is much less of a caste system in basketball although it does exist.

Sorry man, but I have to LOL @ "there is much less of a caste system in basketball although it does exist."

How do you define class act? Why do you root for those two guys?

And -
In the NFL I only would root for a black coach or maybe a black QB (there will always be lots of white QBs) because I don't consider them enablers of the Pro black athlete caste system.

How are black quarterbacks not caste system enablers? When Tarvarius Jackson can start at QB in the NFL but the white guy who beat him out in college has to play wide receiver, black quarterbacks are DEFINITELY caste system enablers. Ever hear of Mike Vick?

Lovie Smith said Brock Forsey looked like an equipment manager. Is that not enabling the caste system? Could a white coach get away with saying a black player looked like the janitor?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
WS, I guess a better way of putting it is that I don't think that black QBs are ever going to outnumber white ones. I guess if blacks make up 12.8% of the population they are already overrepresented at QB (Black Head Coaches are overreprensented as well)..but I think most of your average fans (and probably even most GMs, although though they keep that opinion to themselves) still think that whites are usually better at QB. I think that most of the top QBs are always going to be white.

If Jamarcus Russel gets picked before Brady Quinn it would only somewhat be due to his race, you have to remember he did perform better in the Bowl game than Quinn. I would assume Russell has more than just a strong arm if he is going to be picked number one. He must have shown fairly good accuracy as well to be ranked that high. IMHO though, I think that Quinn will have a better pro career.

The reason, I think Wade is a class act is because he is very charitable and picked number 3 because of the holy trinity. He is quite religious, fairly humble and is not a trash talker according to the Sports Illustrated article I read.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
As far as position switching, I agree that they haven't let many big time scrambling white QBs start. You could make the argument that Flutie in essence was mostly a running QB though. He started a few years for Buffalo before getting jyped by Wade Phillips in favor of a stinker known as Rob Johnson. Players like Romo, Plummer, Jeff Garcia and Steve Young have brought scrambling as a weapon in their arsenal. Their are lots of white QB's good on the rollout ie Favre, Palmer etc.

Eric Crouch should have gotten a chance, but I really think he would have been suited better at RB if teams would allow a white guy to play that. In Matt Jones case it was claimed he had a shoulder problem. Troy Smith scrambles a lot and even though he is black, has dropped on draft boards because he is short and showed less accuracy than ideal.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the clarification, TJ Riggins, I understand your point of view much better and find myself somewhat in agreement with your last two posts.

If you're interested, I did a stat comparison between Flutie and Mike Vick a couple of years ago. Vick is only marginally better than Flutie, but to an objective observer the difference in the way they have been treated is nothing short of remarkable. You can see that comparison here. I don't know the numbers, but it would be interesting to see the difference between Russel's numbers and Quinn's over the course of their college careers. Anybody have those figures handy?

I didn't know that about Wade. Was he quoted in the article extensively, especially regarding the reason he chose the number 3 and regarding his religious convictions? Or was it anecdotal evidence offered by the writer? There was another thread recently in which it was pointed out that black stars and coaches are almost always referred to as a 'class act' for whatever reason. I didn't know if your assessment was based on the same knee jerk reaction because of on the court behavior or some other basis. Thanks for the explanation.