Keith Lincoln

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Keith Lincoln was the Christian McCaffrey of his era, a running and receiving threat in the AFL in the 1960s who averaged 4.5 yards per rush and 13.6 yards per catch in his career. In 1963 he led the AFL with 6.5 yards per carry and put up 329 total yards running and receiving in that year's AFL championship game. Here's highlights from that game, the only footage I can find on Lincoln.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
That's great. My goodness, how we've had been robbed of countless Keith Lincoln's and Christian McCaffrey's over the years. The elusive Dickie Post followed Keith Lincoln at San Diego, I believe. They may have been contemporaries. I should check.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at that video again just now I see it was put on YouTube by "cfhighlightvideo." Sure enough all his videos are of White players: https://www.youtube.com/@cfhighlightvideo. Poster dwid posted a bunch of videos some years ago but I think under the name dwid1984. Maybe this is another of his names, or they were posted by another poster here or possibly a lurker.

I also liked this comment below the Lincoln video: "Now days Mr. Lincon would be moved to TE, or be forced to block all game with maybe 1, or 2 carries."

He wouldn't have made a good tight end or blocking fullback today at just 215 pounds, more like a safety if he'd gotten any chance at all at any position. Back then, "fullback" was pretty much interchangeable with "halfback" as both ran the ball a lot.

This is his 1964 Topps card:

1-Keith Lincoln card.jpg

Attachments

• 1-Keith Lincoln card.jpeg
    1-Keith Lincoln card.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 2
I saw the 1963 AFL Championship game on TV. Keith Lincoln was one of my favorite players in those days.

In the 1964 Bills-Chargers AFL title game, Lincoln was off to a hot start putting the Chargers ahead 7-0 on the first possession. Soon after, Lincoln caught a pass in the flat and Bills LB Mike Stratton hit him in the ribs knocking Lincoln out of the game. It was a legal hit.

Lincoln was slowed by injuries in 1965-66. He was traded to Buffalo in 1967, had a good year for a losing team, over 1100 yards rushing and receiving.

In 1968, the Bills went with younger players in a 1-12-1 season and traded Lincoln back to San Diego. He got injured again, ending his career.

Sis Gillman, Charger coach, compared Lincoln to Frank Gifford, a player who ran, caught, passed. Paul Hornung was another Lincoln was similar to. At his best, Keith Lincoln was faster and more athletic than Gifford and Hornung but had too many injuries.