K1

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Had a chance to watch a few K1 bouts on ESPN2 at the local pub last night. I don't know how old the show was or if it was a repeat, but the black fighters KO'd the white fighters 3-1, and the one white fighter to win was by decision.

Not a good night for fans of white fighters.

This particular K1 was the kickboxing version, no grappling or takedowns.

I checked out the website and noted that Bob Sapp is a Grand Prix winner and is awaiting the winners of other regional K1 tournaments before the finals. Didn't Sapp bomb out of actual mixed martial arts competitions, like the UFC and Pride?

White_Savage

Mentor
I saw part of that.

If Vondrachek (sp?) had remembered he wasn't fighting under MMA rules, he'd have won. Pounced on the guy he knocked down, thus giving him extra time to recover from the knockdown. Then his opponent scored with a roundhouse kick, and it was basically two woozy fighters slugging it out to see who would get the winning knockdown. It was a close fight.

dkr77

Guru
Most of the good K-1 guys are getting old or are broken down from injuries over the years. Peter Aerts,Rick Rufusand Jerome Lebanner are a few who have been outstandingbut their time is about over. The onecaucasian who looked very promising was, Mirko "CRO-COP" Filipovic,who was then lured over to Pride (MMA) and has become a superstaron their show.Cro-Cop ( Croation cop ) is fighting the current heavyweight champion, another caucasian fighter named Fedor Emelianko, later this summer.

White Shogun said:
Didn't Sapp bomb out of actual mixed martial
arts competitions, like the UFC and Pride?

Yeah, Sapp was KO'd by Crocop and pummeled by Ernesto Hoost (a black
guy from Holland). Sapp then received help from officials to 'win' against
Kimo in a fight in Las Vegas. Sapp was getting creamed, and the ref
helped him recover etc. until he could finally, finally, get one in on a tired
Kimo. Being big (or black) doesn't mean you can fight.

White guys seem to excel in the NHB fights, as brute strength and
endurance are generally big factors, rather than a thick skull. Sapp is
incredibly popular in Japan, as are other fighters like Crocop, Silva,
Jackson, Shamrock and so on.Crocop will have his hands full against
Fedor - I think the Russian is going to take him to the mat and beat on
him, as much as I like Mirko.