John Lynch to officially retire.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/11/14/lyn ch.ap/index.html[/url]

All I must say is bravo. Probably the first white player I really loved to watch, and definitely my favorite NFL player ever. My dad would point him out to me whenever the Eagles would play the Bucs when I was younger.

A Hall of Fame-worthy career comes to an end. Thanks for the memories, John.

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

AAGM202~John-Lynch-04-Blocking-Posters.jpg
Edited by: PhillyBirds

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Even a future Hall of Famer like Lynch had to do a three year racial "apprenticeship" as a white special teams demon. He didn't become a starter until 1996, his fourth year in the NFL.

Lynch will be the last white DBin the Hallfor a long time.Maybe Eric Weddle will be in Canton someday. And the very deservingDickLeBeau, an all-time great cornerback,may yet be enshrined.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think Lynch was forced to retire. His last name is an affront to all black americans who have had to endure the never ending racism of Jim Crow and the memories of lynching. If hanging a noose can put someone in jail then having the name Lynch is also racist.
smiley2.gif

Freedom

Mentor
The greatest Caste defier EVER! He played defensive back consistently well for years and years on a black dominated defense. That's exceptional.

Anyone here think the NFL has used the rule changes to deliberately hurt white athletes? Crisp hitting and tackling, traits that whites have excelled at, are now being deemphasized in Troy Polamalu's "pansy game." Lynch is the end of an era. Edited by: Freedom

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He put the STRONG in strong safety!!!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Even a future Hall of Famer like Lynch had to do a three year racial "apprenticeship" as a white special teams demon. He didn't become a starter until 1996, his fourth year in the NFL.

Lynch will be the last white DB in the Hall for a long time. Maybe Eric Weddle will be in Canton someday. And the very deserving Dick LeBeau, an all-time great cornerback, may yet be enshrined. <!-- Message ''"" -->
I think Pat Fischer has a shot with the veterans committee. Beyond that it doesn't look very good. It amazes me he is virtually a lock and wasn't a starter until he was about 26?Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's toJohn Lynch'sgreat career!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
I am sad to see you go.

Years ago, I read that the younger writers who vote for the Pro Football HOF don't like to vote in white DB's who began their careers after 1960. They don't believe a white DB can be of HOF caliber. The article I read was explaining why Paul Krause hadn't been admitted despite intercepting more passes than the DB's who were in. A few years later, Krause and Roger Wehrli did get in, so this may have changed.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I also suspect writers are trying to make the roster of the hall of fame more reflective of the ratio of black to white players in the modern NFL. Marginal hall of fame candidates like Charlie Sanders have made it recently. I also have seen lobbying for Chuck Foreman. Yet nobody has been lobbying Casares, Bill Brown and Ken Willard all white running fullbacks with similar lifetime stats and historical impact. Edited by: white is right

sport historian said:
Years ago, I read that the younger writers who vote for the Pro Football HOF don't like to vote in white DB's who began their careers after 1960. They don't believe a white DB can be of HOF caliber. The article I read was explaining why Paul Krause hadn't been admitted despite intercepting more passes than the DB's who were in. A few years later, Krause and Roger Wehrli did get in, so this may have changed.

I'm biased, as Krause was one of my sports heroes when I was a kid, but it speaks very, very poorly of the HOF that it took them so long to admit Krause. Just what the hell do you have to do?? When you've done more of something than anyone else, shouldn't you get in? There's no active DB within 25 INTs of Krause. In fact I think Krause's record will be very hard to beat, especially considering how stupid most DBs in today's game are (Krause has said as much in so many words).

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Cassiodorus said:
sport historian said:

I'm biased, as Krause was one of my sports heroes when I was a kid, but it speaks very, very poorly of the HOF that it took them so long to admit Krause. Just what the hell do you have to do?? When you've done more of something than anyone else, shouldn't you get in? There's no active DB within 25 INTs of Krause. In fact I think Krause's record will be very hard to beat, especially considering how stupid most DBs in today's game are (Krause has said as much in so many words).

That last part is funny
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
!

DWFan

Mentor
Lynch was one of my favorite players. I'm sorry to see him go but it is good that he's going with his health.