John Cappelletti

Last Sunday, ESPN Classic showed the 1977 TV movie, Something For Joey. I had seen it several times before. After the film, they showed John Cappelletti's actual speech at the Heisman ceremony. He was better in real life than the actor (who did a very good job) who played him.

One of the best parts of the film to me, was the way the family members interacted with each other. Also, they showed a press conference announcing Cappelletti as the 1973 Heisman winner. The first question was, "Do you agree with those who say that 1973 was a lean year for talent?" The implication was that if someone like John Cappelletti won the Heisman, it was a down year talent-wise. John was witty and articulate in the interview which was before his Heisman speech.

John Cappelletti gained over 200 yards in three straight games that year, the first time it had been done. His stats were typical of running backs who win the Heisman. As I remember, Cappelletti winning the Heisman in 1973 was expected after the year he and Penn State (11-0) had.

surfsider

Guru
Capelletti was a tough runner. A Penn State tandem I enjoyed watching was Matt Suhey and Mike Guman in the late '70's. Both of those guys went on to have nice pro careers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
He was the most recent white to win the Heisman who wasn't a QB, and that was 32 years ago.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was attending Penn State when Guman and Suhey played. In fact I was lucky enough to land a job as the statistician for televised home PSU football and basketball games back in the early days of cable. Got to work with several well known broadcasters including thegreat Ray Scott, and NFL player Jimmy Cefalo right after he graduated from Penn State in that era.

At any rate I can still remember a home game when Matt Suhey broke off a 60 yard touchdown run. A black defensive back had the angle on him but still couldn't catch him. After the game everyone I knew,mostly white but also a couple of blacks, marvelled that this had actually happened. Being unaware of the Caste System at the time, I did too.
smiley36.gif
Just shows how the poisonous propaganda is effortlessly instilled in everyone almost like mother's milk.