Job Cuts

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dang! I hate to hear about that, Michael. I remember eating Yarnell's when I was a boy. Pretty good stuff, too. Sad to see more folks losing jobs, but especially jobs like these in the South where there aren't many left. I'll put a large part of the blame for this on the Federal Reserve.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Cuts like this are going on all over the country. A temp agency I used to work for was very busy just a few years ago. Now all the staffr has been cut and the owner works from home because of lack of work.

Riddlewire

Master
My father is distraught.
Yarnell's was the only ice cream he would eat.
And they make the stuff right down the road from here, so we got the freshest batches.

I never forgave them for 'cancelling' their Praline Pecan flavor, so I stopped eating their ice cream. But that's a lot of lost jobs in a small area.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

Take a look at dailyjobcuts.com. Heavy duty job cuts everywhere in the country. Really lousy stuff going on and the govt. is trying to shove this "recovery" baloney down everyones throat.

Tom Iron...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Tom Iron

Mentor
Probably the wrong thread, but I'll vent a bit. My Local Union (Brooklyn Ironwokers, Local 361) is giving an apprentice examination soon. So they sent out copies of the proceedure to follow to get an application to take the exam. There's three parts, written, physical fitness, and if you pass those two, they give you a drug test. You have to be eighteen and have a HS diploma or GED. I asked if I could talk to some graduating students in surrounding high schools and the principals/"guidance" councilors either didn't get back to me or told me right out they wouldn't let me speak to the young men about it. All these people know is academics. They think anything to do with using your hands for work is undignified. But the worst part is they won't even allow the young men to see the flier. Everything is about college with these people.

I more or less get the same response from people who have sons or relatives of their own under or unemployed. They'd rather have their son or relative it seems just live at home than give him a shot at something. This is unbelievable. Not even the the money means anything, $30 per hr. + benefits (apprentice money). Is that bad money for a young guy getting out of HS? I only ask because of the way the people react. You'd think I was handing them a piece of steaming excrement the way people react when I show them the flier. Holy Moly.

Tom Iron...

Tom Iron

Mentor
I forgot (I'd forget my head if it wasn't nailed on). If anyone is close by and wants to give this a shot, here's the website with all the scoop you need.

nycironworkers.org

Tom Iron...