Jack LaLanne dies at 96.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A life long hero of mine has died. This man is an inspiration to not only the nation but to the world. He taught generations about fitness and how to eat right. He was active up until close to his death. He will be missed. They just don't make them like Jack. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife of 56 years and his family. Here is an article with a few video clips.

http://livingtherun.com/?p=2743Edited by: white lightning

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That man was amazing. A true example of practicing what he preached. RIP

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't sure if he was still alive or not. I remember as a kid watching his daily exercise show. He was incredibly fit and strong into his 80s and maybe even early 90s. RIP

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I didn't much like the guys public image. Sure I admired his enthusiasm for living healthy but at heart he was a joyless fun gestapo. He was always going on about how sugar and wheat were deadly poisons and how neither would ever touch his lips. No drinking, no smoking, no eating candy and sweets, not ever!!! I bet his grandkids loved going over to his house!

Yeah, live 96 years of that and you will be aching for the grim reaper. I prefer the guy that smokes and drinks until he is 80 and then keels over. At least he had some fun on the ride! I think Lalane was able to be such a strict diciple of healthy living because he made money at it. I just saw him on the food network the other day selling some veggie/fruit blender and it's okay for a guy who is profiting off of it to be all wrapped into it but for a regular guy to live like a monk? for 96 years? that would be tough.

He also seemed the type who would foster that stuff on others if he had the authority, the kind of guy who would ban transfat and regulate salt and make sure the gov't had some police force to make it stick. Like the idiots that run NY or SF.

jaxvid said:
I didn't much like the guys public image. Sure I admired his enthusiasm for living healthy but at heart he was a joyless fun gestapo. He was always going on about how sugar and wheat were deadly poisons and how neither would ever touch his lips. No drinking, no smoking, no eating candy and sweets, not ever!!! I bet his grandkids loved going over to his house!

Yeah, live 96 years of that and you will be aching for the grim reaper. I prefer the guy that smokes and drinks until he is 80 and then keels over. At least he had some fun on the ride! I think Lalane was able to be such a strict diciple of healthy living because he made money at it. I just saw him on the food network the other day selling some veggie/fruit blender and it's okay for a guy who is profiting off of it to be all wrapped into it but for a regular guy to live like a monk? for 96 years? that would be tough.

He also seemed the type who would foster that stuff on others if he had the authority, the kind of guy who would ban transfat and regulate salt and make sure the gov't had some police force to make it stick. Like the idiots that run NY or SF.
there's an old man about five miles from me who drinks a pint of 90 proofand smokes twopacks of cigarettes every day, last time i talked with him he said he was 101 years old.....

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:

Yeah, what a shame that the past 40 years of TV presentingan endless parade ofwimpy, emasculated, deracinated, out-of-shape White men had to be marred by the likes of Jack LaLanne devoting his life to encouraging Americans to take better care of themselves. If only he had been another beer-bellied DWF hawking Ray Lewis jerseys instead of veggie/fruit blenders.

And those poor grandchildren! Imagine having to sit quietly and listen to adults converse at Grandpa's house rather than gorging on junk food all day and going on intermittent shrieking banshee runs through the house in between bouts sitting glassy-eyed in front of the television set. The child abuse that must have taken place at the LaLanne household makes my blood boil. Have his grandkids gone on Dr. Phil yet to be analyzed?

For inspiring millions of White Americans of all ages for half a century to eat better and have a level of fitness to take pride in, all I can say is burn in hell, Jack LaLanne, burn in hell!

foobar75

Master
Jaxvid, needless to say, I very strongly disagree with your opinion. I first learned about LaLanne roughly 10 or so years ago. After reading about this history and overall philosophy on health and fitness, he quickly became one of my heroes and role models.

Although I cannot follow as disciplined a nutrition plan as he did his entire life, I've been very good during the last decade. I allow myself an occasional cheat with a pizza here and a little ice-cream there, but 90% of the time, my diet is very clean. Ever since I dramatically reduced my sugar, sodium, and trans/saturated fat intake, my physical well-being has gone to another level. This in turn has impacted my mental state of mind as well, and at 33, I feel I'm in the best shape of my life. I don't think LaLanne has ever advocated forcing anything on people. He's merely pointed out accurate facts his entire life, and then let people make their own decisions. This is quite different than the idiots you mention who want to shove down (pun intended) our throats their own social engineering agendas with regards to food.

All this man did was preach good diet and exercise habits, he lived by them, and the results speak for themselves. I can only wish to be as healthy as he was in his 80s and even early 90s.

RIP, Jack LaLanne.Edited by: foobar75

Westside

Hall of Famer
I, for one don't understand the overt disparagement of an American Icon from this site, who happens to be White! Why?

Approx 10 years ago he swam approx 5 miles pulling a boat full of people at 84 years old. This man should be given respect, not crapped on a day after his death at CF. Ted Kennedy yes, Jack LaLanne no.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I have all the respect in the world for the early innovators of exercise for the masses. The Lalane's, Vic Tannys, Joe Golds. In general these guys lived a healthy lifestyle because they trained natural and didn't take massive amounts of steroids and human growth hormone. Many of the 70's bodybuilders are already dead or weak and sick. By the way where is the Seargent Shriver(for Westside) appreciation thread, he died last week.....
smiley2.gif
Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS, in respect to an elder who was not a Kennedy, I will refrain from speaking ill of him for at least a couple of weeks. I think I gave the same courtesy to uncle teddy a couple of years ago. But, once that week was up, I pretty much unloaded on him with a full barrage, without mercy.
smiley36.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
I meant WIR, not WIS, sorry mate.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
For inspiring millions of White Americans of all ages for half a century to eat better and have a level of fitness to take pride in, all I can say is burn in hell, Jack LaLanne, burn in hell!  </div>

Maybe not burn in hell....all I said was I didn't like the public image, but,,,,,anyway I bet Lalanne didn't spend one minute helping white people specifically, in fact most of the guys I see that are racially conscious are not exactly living Jack Lalanne life styles. And on the other hand virtually every "health nut" I know is a negro loving, cultural marxist pig.

from wikipedia:
LaLanne said his two simple rules of nutrition are: "if man made it, don't eat it", and "if it tastes good, spit it out."[15] He offered his opinion of the average person's diet:

"Look at the average American diet: ice cream, butter, cheese, whole milk, all this fat. People don't realize how much of this stuff you get by the end of the day. High blood pressure is from all this high-fat eating."

The item in bold is one of those puritan comments that he always made that bugged me. And I thought you guys were big believers in the high fat "caveman" way of eating that Lalanne would have hated!

Lalanne also said when asked about sex that despite their advanced age, he and his wife still made love almost every night: "Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost on Wednesday..." Now that's funny! I change my mind about the guy, he was alright.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
For whatever reason, I've been addicted to "infomercials"Â￾ for my entire life. I've never actually ordered anything; I just enjoy mocking the sensationalized nature in which each product is presented. The Magic Bullet, Chef Tony's Miracle Blade Knives, Ron Popeil's Showtime Rotisserie, the Sonic Blade, the Ninja Master Prep, the NuWave Oven, the Ready-Set-Go, the Dual Saw, the Jack LaLanne Juicer, etc., are all quite hilarious.

The Jack LaLanne Juicer infomercial (featuring his wife, Loranne, and Forbes Reilly) has some pretty funny moments. The most comical of which occurs when they take the juicer to a disgustingly non-white kindergarten classroom. The rainbow children are gathered around a black female teacher who is placing fruits and vegetables into the machine while juice emerges into the glass below. Suddenly, a young Indian brat yells out: "Does that juice come from that hole?"Â￾ The answer"¦yes, of course it does.

I've never smoked, drank, or done a drug a day in my life, so I tend to agree with Jack LaLanne's recommendations for those particular items. An inebriated white man is worthless (and even detrimental â€" See DWF) to our cause. Then again, I've know countless "sober"Â￾ white men who are as apathetic towards the future of their race as the classic drunken white buffoon.Edited by: Thrashen

Westside

Hall of Famer
Thrashen, speaking of funny infomercials, what about the "Slap Chop and its buddy the Graddy". The man pitching it, was arrested in "souf beach" a couple of years ago, beating and getting his ass beat by a hooker.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
...speaking of funny infomercials, what about the "Slap Chop ... ?"

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA[/tube]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hilarious video, JC! Thanks for posting it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
Thrashen, speaking of funny infomercials, what about the "Slap Chop and its buddy the Graddy". The man pitching it, was arrested in "souf beach" a couple of years ago, beating and getting his ass beat by a hooker.
From what I remember this fool tried to "tongue" a prostitute and she bit his tongue and they tried to reenact a Jerry Springer fight. Priceless.....
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
RIP LaLanne...an great example of proper health & exercise.

Jack_LaLanne_publicity_shot_1940s.jpg

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Steroids were not even around until the 60's - 70's. Jack LaLanne got that body the old fashioned way. The pic from the 50's is incredible. What a legend.

Westside said:
I'm i wrong but are they just repackaging old products like the "Slap Chop"???? I remember my dad comming home with a box of flea market junk, and it was full of something like Slap Chop's from the 70s!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is a tribute thread to Jack LaLanne, a man who meant a lot to some of us not to mention millions of Americans over the years. Stuff about funny infomercials doesn't belong on this thread.

Observer

Mentor
1984 (age 70): handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's to Jack LaLanne

Jack LaLanne died last week. He was 96, still a bit sweaty from his morning workout when they found him, and had a vicegrip of a handshake that could crush a man half his age â€" even on his deathbed. Old farmers had nothing on his grip.

Jack's TV show was one of my first exposures to the world of fitness, or, as he put it, physical culture. Growing up in New England, I had spent my days exploring the adjacent backwoods, climbing trees, skinning knees, and getting into trouble, but I wasn't "working out."Â I had no concept of it. I was just doing what felt right and what was fun, and most kids did the same. Jack LaLanne introduced us to the formal concept of physical fitness. He was one of the first to realize that the childhood impulse toward physicality and movement needed to be nurtured and developed in adulthood. I still remember sitting in a chair in front of the TV doing knees-to-chests, just like Jack.

Still, something wasn't quite right, I thought. Here Jack would be doing relatively light exercises on camera â€" jumping jacks, jogging in place, various full body movements without weights â€" but he was completely ripped. I mean, he was huge, especially for the time. Big chest, lats like wings that rivaled Bruce Lee's, a thin waist, biceps like softballs. The guy obviously didn't get that body doing the workouts he was showing us. He was keeping the good stuff secret. There had to be an entire other world of exercise lurking out there, and I knew it was a whole lot more intense than what he was doing. And I wanted to know.

So I started looking. Thus began my serious pursuit of physical fitness. Jack LaLanne had it, and I wanted it. Our methods differed, of course. I gravitated toward long distance running, mostly because I was a skinny kid with a propensity for endurance, but I became convinced that pursuing excellence in physical fitness was worth doing because of Jack. I mean, fitness as a concept wasn't even on my radar before him. It was just something you did as a kid because it was fun, and your mom and dad didn't do because it's just kid's stuff.

Jack changed all that. Yeah, LaLanne wasn't Primal, but we had more in common than you might suspect:

He famously said "If man made it, hate it."Â Jack only ate real, whole food and never touched refined sugar. He shunned red meat late in life and ate egg whites, lean meats (mostly fish) and whole grains, but his emphasis on real food is notable.

He worked out every morning in a fasted state before breakfast and ate just twice a day.

He wore ballet flats that might as well have been barefoot shoes.

Before we had easy access to reams of medical journals featuring research on the link between physical activity and brain function, Jack intuitively knew exercise was about mental fitness and psychological well-being as much as it was about physical fitness. A constant refrain of his was that people were unhappy, unfit, and messed up because we had forgotten how to move and live naturally.

He bucked Conventional Wisdom. All the experts insisted that weight training made athletes slow and bulky, turned women into man-beasts, and was bad for older people, heart disease patients, and the libido. We know this to be nonsense, but it was "truth"Â sixty years ago. And it might still be if Jack hadn't opened up the nation's first gym in 1936, popularized strength training, and got a nation of women interested in fitness.

He fed his dog, Happy, raw ground beef and liver every day.

He valued quality over quantity. "I really don't give a damn how long I live, but I want to live while I'm living."Â

Besides all the overlaps with Primal living and not even taking into account his famous feats of strength (beating Arnold in a chinup and pushup contest at Muscle Beach, towing a fleet of 70 ships across the Long Beach Harbor at age 70), Jack LaLanne was just an awesome dude.

He had a penchant for sexual innuendo. Check out his seemingly throwaway comment on the famous fingertip pushup video, and note his preceding form: "Get your husband to try it tonight, but not you."Â And then there's his extremely explicit Playboy interview from 1984.

He influenced my disdain for the overly complicated and drawn-out warmup: "Fifteen minutes to warm up! Does a lion warm up when he's hungry? ‘Uh-oh, here comes an antelope. Better warm up.' No! He just goes out and eats the sucker."Â

Only he could pull off those skintight sleeveless jump suits (paired with those amazing ballet slippers, of course). Actually, this is probably, literally true; LaLanne had to get his jumpsuits tailor made because his body proportions were so exaggerated.

The man was a force to be reckoned with. He was an admitted zealot, a self-described health and fitness nut who, when asked how long he'd live, replied, "The earth will go first." I will say that he seemed to have a poor opinion of human nature. He seemed to buy into the notion that we are savage beasts, constantly struggling against our animal natures, whether it was lust for drugs or junk food or booze or meat â€" and copious amounts of training and ironclad discipline and willpower were his buffers against that side of himself. I think for someone who can pull it off and keep it up, the draconian self-regulation works, but I think it can be harmful for a lot of people, especially when they fail or slip up. And that's his other legacy, one that I shy away from, personally.

In the end, though, all of us involved in physical culture, diet, and health â€" we're all fighting for the same goal. Our methods may differ slightly or massively, we may be vegans or full-blown carnivores, but we can all find common ground. Jack LaLanne wouldn't have agreed with a lot of what I have to say, and I bet he would have agreed that my cookbook was one of the year's unhealthiest, but we were both trying to make people healthier, happier, and stronger.

Well, Jack, you're gone and the earth remains, but it's just not the same. Here's to you. I'll toss an egg yolk in your honor.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/heres-to-jack-lalanne/

foobar75

Master
Good stuff, thanks for sharing this article Don. Also, if anyone has time, check out the Playboy interview mentioned (and linked) in the original piece. It's an interesting reading as well.