Its a Raid!

Menelik

Mentor
Well it looks like another church done went and got itself raided. I'm wondering is this legit or another replay of what happened in Texas...
smiley11.gif

Church Raid

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I wonder what will come of this one. The raid on the quasi-Mormons in Texas resulted in no charges being filed and the children being returned to their parents.

What is the government's issue with polygamy anyway? It seems like half of the states in this country are ready to legalize gay marriage, why not allow polyamory as well? Would it mess up the tax code and allow for too many dependents or what?

Menelik

Mentor
White Shogun said:
I wonder what will come of this one. The raid on the quasi-Mormons in Texas resulted in no charges being filed and the children being returned to their parents.

What is the government's issue with polygamy anyway? It seems like half of the states in this country are ready to legalize gay marriage, why not allow polyamory as well? Would it mess up the tax code and allow for too many dependents or what?

I've wondered that same thing myself.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If homosexual marriage is allowed nationwide, polygamy won't be far behind it, IMHO.

I know polygamy is a drain on the welfare system, but that is not a federal matter.

There are many reasons to be against polygamy.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
screamingeagle said:
I know polygamy is a drain on the welfare system, but that is not a federal matter.

There are many reasons to be against polygamy.

I don't understand how polygamy is a drain on the welfare system? Could you explain that?

Also what other reasons are there to be against polygamy?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I know of one guy from Australia who had a series of girlfriends/ wives and hit up the Australian government to the tune 250K+ a year. He had about 60 dependants and 8 to 10 wives. This was about 20 years ago and he lived in tents in the desert with his "family". An extreme example but that's probably what he is talking about.Edited by: white is right

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bart said:
Tony Alamo again. He has an interesting history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Alamo

Yeah, I think he's the one that's funded "Chick Publications" literature, that's sometimes in comic book format, that I've encounteredoften over the years. I've always been all for alternative political viewpoints, but his stuff always struck me asirrationalanti-Catholic crap designed for no other reason than to spread disinformation and factionalism.

Have also read articles over the years about "Alamo." Seems like a sleazy criminal. This could well be one of those raids that is praiseworthy and overdue. Edited by: Don Wassall

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
I know of one guy from Australia who had a series of girlfriends/ wives and hit up the Australian government to the tune 250K+ a year. He had about 60 dependants and 8 to 10 wives. This was about 20 years ago and he lived in tents in the desert with his "family". An extreme example but that's probably what he is talking about.

Sounds like the behavior of every black guy in Detroit. What does welfare fraud have to do with polygamy?

Is your argument that a guy with multiple wives will have more children and then ask for welfare? If that is the problem then reform welfare not restrict freedom. That same argument could be made by single people against married people.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Nothing, the Australian wasn't breaking his countries laws. I was just highlighting an example of what eagle was implying. I'm not for or against it really. Also how is a guy like this going to support his "family". I could see his welfare case worker trying to get him a job as a CEO of a large corporation and him turning it down because it still couldn't support that heard.......
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Well, if you own a farm and raise your own food, and opt out of cable TV, movies, designer clothes, etc, it wouldn't be that hard to raise a family that large. Everyone in a family like that would be assigned some form of productive work on the farm, i.e. milking cows, chopping wood, plowing fields, etc. You have a built-in, ready, labor force.

Modern families find it expensive to raise children because of all the peripheral expenses, like automobiles and insurance, entertainment, the 'best' clothing, iPods, video games, entertainment, computers and Internet service... on and on. Not to mention the enormous cost of a college eduction with more and more diminishing returns.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
If homosexual marriage is allowed nationwide, polygamy won't be far behind it, IMHO.

Yep...then beastiality, necrophilia, etc. The agents of Old Scratch will have their Marxist, hedonistic dystopia!
smiley11.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
No one else wants to try and explain why polygamy should be banned?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
No one else wants to try and explain why polygamy should be banned?

I asked several of my wives about it and they think it's fine.
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There seems to be an aspect about it that's inherently unfair. If a man has nine wives, that means eight men have no wives. You never hear about what happened to the Mormon men who weren't the lucky chieftan type. Were they shut out completely or did they have to go the Barney Frank/Richard Simmonsroute?
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
There seems to be an aspect about it that's inherently unfair. If a man has nine wives, that means eight men have no wives. You never hear about what happened to the Mormon men who weren't the lucky chieftan type. Were they shut out completely or did they have to go the Barney Frank/Richard Simmons route?
smiley36.gif

If a guy ain't man enough to get one, maybe he doesn't deserve one.

But your thought parallels that of an article I read years ago, that men came up with monogamous marriage so they could all get laid, not just the big guys.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Don Wassall said:
There seems to be an aspect about it that's inherently unfair. If a man has nine wives, that means eight men have no wives. You never hear about what happened to the Mormon men who weren't the lucky chieftan type. Were they shut out completely or did they have to go the Barney Frank/Richard Simmons route?
smiley36.gif

If a guy ain't man enough to get one, maybe he doesn't deserve one.

But your thought parallels that of an article I read years ago, that men came up with monogamous marriage so they could all get laid, not just the big guys.

Sailer wrote an article like that, he made the point that monogamy benefits men since women are cheated out of getting a shot at a share of someone like Bill Gates tremendous wealth and instead get stuck with guys like me.
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Polygamy is disgusting and immoral, that's why it is wrong. I don't mind the goverment setting some basic standards for protecting civilization and families like banning gay marriage, polygamy, bestiality and so forth. I understand and respect the libertarian philosophy some guys have here but there has to be some line in the sand that doesn't get crossed.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If you notice where it is practiced, you know why it is practiced. Generally it's practiced in primitive societies with great class/economic inequities and have a warrior tradition, which lowers the male to female ratio. It's still in our society its called having a concubine/gomat. Or for others its called being client number #9(who wants the lifestyle at the ID level).

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Polygamy is disgusting and immoral, that's why it is wrong. I don't mind the goverment setting some basic standards for protecting civilization and families like banning gay marriage, polygamy, bestiality and so forth. I understand and respect the libertarian philosophy some guys have here but there has to be some line in the sand that doesn't get crossed.

Yes, you wouldn't want people doing disgusting and immoral practices from the old testament like the Jews and early Christians.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
No I wouldn't and there were laws given in the Old and New testament to later prohibit and punish such activities. Every racial, ethnic and religous group throughout history has done such things and are still doing them. Not just Old Testament Jews and early Christians.
smiley2.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
You know one of the hero's of the Bible was David who had Bathseeba as his concubine. There is a lot of hypocrisy in that book.Edited by: white is right

guest301

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
You know one of the hero's of the Bible was David who had Bathseeba as his concubine. There is a lot of hypocrisy in that book.

If you read a little further into that story, David paid a price for that sin and there is hypocrisy everywhere. The Bible is just about as much a story on the human condition and possible redemption as it is about God's written word for those of us who are believers. King David got away with nothing and everybody knows of his hypocrisy and yes he's still a hero of the Bible as you put it.

Menelik

Mentor
guest301 said:
white is right said:
You know one of the hero's of the Bible was David who had Bathseeba as his concubine. There is a lot of hypocrisy in that book.

If you read a little further into that story, David paid a price for that sin and there is hypocrisy everywhere. The Bible is just about as much a story on the human condition and possible redemption as it is about God's written word for those of us who are believers. King David got away with nothing and everybody knows of his hypocrisy and yes he's still a hero of the Bible as you put it.

Don't let em get to you Guest, even ole scratch can use the scripture to suit his purpose.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Menelik