interesting article

nhl411

Guru
here

came across this a while back and thought the guy made a lot of interesting points. the article title is misleading as is the beginning because he goes on to refute some of the points he brings up early so keep reading when it seems he might be a proponent of black athletic supremacy because he isn't (and he's black himself)Edited by: nhl411

cutty

Guru
i thought it was honest, if nothing else. some things he say make sense when he compares them to other competitions and abilities. it very well may be true that blacks have a bigger genetic curve, but the doesn't change the fact there are still a lot of white athletes out there not getting a fair shake.

also i like the term'learned helplessness.' this is a great term to describe the mind set of the average black person in today's america.

Alpha Male

Mentor
It's sad that in today's media, only a black can criticize blacks.Edited by: Alpha Male

nhl411

Guru
oh i didnt get the impression he was saying blacks actually have a bigger GENETIC curve, i thought he was saying there curve is bigger because of the confidence thing, similar to how boys do better than girls in math because they attribute their succes to talent and failure to lack of hard work, while the girls attribute success to hard work and failure to lack of talent. so i felt he meant that black people's curve is bigger because when they succeed they feel it is because they are talented because this is the perception of most people and when blacks fail they figure they just didn't try hard. on the other hand, he said whites were like girls because we are taught by the media that we can only succeed through hard work and that when we fail it must be because we have less talent.

cutty

Guru
no, i got the impression he meant a real biological genetic curve. he went to great lengths eloborating on that by stating that africans are the most genetically diverse humans in the world, which supports the theory that all other races evolved from somebody who evolved from somebody that came from africa.

their curve allows them to produce athletes that push the envelope. those ones you hear about. but they also produce less successful humans on average compared to whites, as far as athletic ability, ability to fight disease etc. those ones of course we never really think about.

but yeah, the confidence comes from feeling like they are all at the top of their genetic curve.

JD074

Master
The idea that there's a "difference in variability," rather than an "average difference," is interesting.

Also, this article was written in 1997, so it's quite dated in some respects. While blacks are still dominant in some areas (men's 100m, RB, CB, WR, and meaningless crap like the NBA Slam Dunk Contest,) there are cracks in the facade that this writer (and pretty much every writer back in the "Black 90's") would've never predicted. Read this passage and remember that he's talking about a white 400m sprinter!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

When I started running, there was a quarter-miler just a few years older than I was by the name of Arnold Stotz. He was a bulldog of a runner, hugely talented, and each year that he moved through the sprinting ranks he invariably broke the existing four-hundred-metre record in his age class. Stotz was white, though, and every time I saw the results of a big track meet I'd keep an eye out for his name, because I was convinced that he could not keep winning. It was as if I saw his whiteness as a degenerative disease, which would eventually claim and cripple him. I never asked him whether he felt the same anxiety, but I can't imagine that he didn't. There was only so long that anyone could defy the rules. One day, at the provincial championships, I looked up at the results board and Stotz was gone.
Edited by: JD074

GWTJ

Mentor
Following that articles logic, I would say that when talking about intellectual achievment, whites are like boys and blacks are like girls.