I’ll bite yer eye out!!!

White_Savage

Mentor
Anyone else about tired of certain martial artists saying "them UFCs ain't real, in a real fight I poke you in the eye and chew on your neck", to say nothing of their "mysterious super-mental death touches" and the like?

I think these "Traditional" martial artists (which is a terrible description btw. Wrestling, jujutsu, boxing, muy thai, etc are all "traditional" by any chronological measure. "Inneffective" would come closer as an honest descrpitive) should get their chance.

Just once, they need to hold a real-no rules fighting competition, on an unclaimed island or a bout in international waters or something. Let all these "traditional" eye-pokers and groin slappers have their go at some NHB champs, or at least contenders. (Ever notice how these people don't seem to realize that a bigger, more athletic and skilled NHB fighter can probably also bite, gouge, and rip fingers at least as well as they can in a no rules encounter?)

You can even scatter some bar stools, pool cues, and bottles around the fighting area, since some of them seem to obsess over these things. (All this might lead to Tank Abbott winning his first championship
smiley4.gif
)

Put it on t.v, offer a nice purse to both the winners and, well, the survivors (assuming there are any.) I bet you could make millions on PPV.

Then again, the idea of big Mark Coleman coming at me with a pool cue in one hand and a bar stool in other would keep me out of the ring, and probably Mr. "deathtouch" as well...

Anyway, it may be an idea whose time has come.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There are a number of holds and joint locks that expose the groin to strikes more than others, you can see these openings regularly in any UFC type event.

But the fact is most people, even if they train and train in mixed martial arts, will *never* be able to beat the likes of Chuck Liddell or Pedro Rizzo or any of a number of other UFC fighters. These guys are top of the line, world class at what they do - fight.

Its the same as saying the local kids at the community college playing intramural football can challenge even a mediocre NFL team in a game of football.

Most people, IMO, should worry more about developing the mental attitude necessary to even hit someone in the face, let alone win a UFC match. They are much more likely to be accosted by a mugger or some criminal type than a UFC fighter. In those cases, I would *never* want to dissuade someone from focusing on vital targets and escape/evasion, if possible, rather than spending hours and hours perfecting an arm bar.

Additionally, if one ever finds themselves in a situation where they are facing a professional fighter and cannot avoid a confrontation, I would not advocate standing still and getting the snot beat of you just because you knew you had no chance. There is always a chance, and the dirtier, meaner, and nastier you are, the better your chances of survival.

You still gotta fight, regardless.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White_savage, I saw a Discovery special about a martial arts system called Juko Kai, or Combat Ki. They filmed dozens of students training in a high school gymnasium. The training consisted of kicking and striking each with 'full power' strikes to the groin, neck, chest, and sides of the head.

The majority of the students were middle-aged and extremely overweight. The voice-over spoke in hushed tones about the capability these people had to withstand such 'crushing blows.' The people I was watching this with were ooohing and aaahing right along with the commentator.

I just shook my head. I told them there is no way these people, with this kind of training, are ever going to be able to defend themselves. I explained that you can't stand there and tense a particular body part in the middle of a body part, you can't WIN a fight without every throwing a punch or kick, and you certainly aren't going to last more than a few seconds if you're that overweight and out of shape.

It ain't gonna happen.

White_Savage

Mentor
I'm not arguing against using all the "dirty fighting" tactics Shogun, but I really think it's ridiculous of these people to assert they can replace a solid grounding in proven grappling and striking fundamentals. The Gracie clan, for example, won numerous real fights as well as ring fights, with their eye4s and groins intact.

I also notice very few traditional martial artist talked about biting and eye-gouging before MMA. Now I hear things like "when you shoot in for a doubleleg takedown, I could just rip your cheeks off the bone with my fingers!" (I kid you not.)

You'll remember also that there were several boxing vrs. karate matches back in the day when martial arts were first becoming popular, and the boxer nearly always won. No one can argue that punches alone are deadlier than punches, kicks, elbows, and everything else the karateka was supposed to be able to use, but it turns you can probably only instictively use in fighting the techniques you can train full speed and full contact in practice.

That stuff you saw on t.v. is funny...if they were taking "full power" groinstrikes, they'd all be singing falsetto right now, you'd think anyone watching would realize this fact.

"Over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the
supreme fighting man of earth." - Robert E. Howard

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Now I hear things like "when you shoot in for a doubleleg takedown, I could just rip your cheeks off the bone with my fingers!" (I kid you not.)

What 'martial artist' said something like that? Was he talking ass or face?
smiley17.gif

I guess I should be glad he'd rather rip the skin off my face than pluck my still-beating heart from my chest
smiley36.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White_Savage

Mentor
I don't know what art he studied.

I definitely HOPE he was talking about my face

"Over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the
supreme fighting man of earth." - Robert E. HowardEdited by: White_Savage

White Savage, With all due respect I must disagree with ya.....

I've never had to face a UFC fighter but it seems like these days everybody trains in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu like the UFC fighters and they try to take you to the ground just like UFC guys....Alot of guys even train with UFC fighters....In real street fights I don't like grappling on the ground cause usually once you go down you'll get piled on by all his friends....So I try to get as uncivilized as I can on the ground...

One can't punch and kick at the exact same time and I feel the same goes for grappling....You can't grapple and gouge at eyes at the exact same time...You can grapple and then find an opening to gouge and bite but that might take time...So I say pick one, Grapple or fight vicious, not both....Even if a grappler gets the better of you and shoots in and is taking you down, he exposes his outside ear...It's not protected...Have a friend slo-motion tackle you and watch as he wraps his arms around you how his outside ear is open ...As your falling backwards grab his ear as hard as you can and rip that SOB off....The bodyguard of Prince did this to a grappler at a club years ago and was arrested for it but he talked afterwards about how easy it was....

One of the jobs of the UFC officials is to check fightersfingernails....If a UFC fighters nails aren't short the official will tell him to file them....It may be "Girl fighting" but fingernails and scratching is one of if not the most violent way to fight on the ground...Watch a street girl fight.LOL!!! In jails most insane inmates will grow their nails for this very purpose...I purposely grow my nails longand then file them so their kinda pointed....People notice my nailson a daily basisand make comments like "Freddy Crouger"LOL!!!....Even if I can't "Gouge someone's eye out" I will take my hands and claw their face fast, hard, and as often as possible...Even if someone closes their eyes as best as they can I can scratch through their eyelid and still scratch their eye...I can honestly turn someone's face into a bloody mess in less than 2 seconds with my nails....It may be girly but trust me you'd crap your pants if you seen me do it to someone.....

Fish hooking is another thing that is banned in cage fighting....That is where you grab the insides of both sides of his mouth and rip it open....You can give someone a wrap around porch doing that....LOL!! They'll look like Jack Nickolson when he was the joker in Batman...

Grabbing someone's nuts and twisting and crushingthem isbanned, as is biting....

JMO but my nails haven't failed me yet..

White_Savage

Mentor
Your point about wanting to avoid groundfighting is a truism, basically correct of course.

I mean honestly, I believe man is a tool using animal, your first line of defense against serious attack should be a handgun if your state allows you to carry one, followed by a blade. (If it doesn't, your first line of OFFENSE should be changing the oppressive laws of whatever province you live in.)

But the rest of your post kind of dovetails with my point. Don't want to go to the ground? Then you need to know how to actually defend that takedown, and that involves learning grappling my friend. For instance, some guy shoots on you and you manage to rip his ear off (NOT as easy as it sounds, since we DON'T shoot in slow motion)...yet he's so drugged up/pissed off he slams you to the pavement anyway, and proceeds to strike you. You'll still need to know how to grapple. Of course, if you had been able to sprawl against his attack, you'd be in a far better position to rip his ears off, eye gouge, guillotine....see where I'm going with this?

We've all seen people keep fighting with their face a bloody mess, too, horrible superficial injuries, etc, so I consider a choke out, a knock out, or the breaking of a joint ultimately more reliable.

I agree with ya on many points...

My particular street where I live isn't too bad but it just seems like everyday somebody is getting shot or stabbed or raped or robbed a block away....You have to walk around kinda paranoid....I can't even go to the movies w/o some gangster or thug trying to stare you down or asking where you from....When I was younger being white in a rough school and neighboorhood meant I got in fights every single day....I was always super skinny but could punch someone's lights out but alot of times they'd just slam me to the ground so I had to learn how to fight I guess what works for me....My family has a huge wrestling background so I've always known how to wrestle and I took BJJ for awhile but it just didn't seem to work for me in real situations...Maybe it's just me LOL!!! I'm alot more built these day also so I can't get slammed as easily...

Like you said though...A gun would be great but it just seems like these days anymore if somebody actually defends themselves succefully their the ones ending up in court...I hear all these crazy stories about how someone defended themselves in their own home and then are theones being charged, bunch of BS...The criminals do whatever they want and it seems like we can't even defend ourselves...

I do carry a knife on me though but never used it...