How good is Jerome Bettis?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Great article on ESPN sums up Bettis' career. Good news? Its accurate. It points out that Bettis' career numbers are fairly pedestrian for a starting running back, and that his average yards per carry are less than the motley assortment of full backs and running backs with whom he has shared the backfield in Pittsburgh all these years. I remarked to a friend during the AFC Championship game that Bettis' 3.9 avg YPC is too low for a starting running back. You have to get 4.0 to be even be considered decent.

His touchdown average, despite being a short yardage, goal line running back, is below average for players at his position, too.

Bout the only thing has done well is last, which is somewhat difficult to do as a running back.

It is amazing that a fat, slow kid with asthma like Bettis could even make it as a starting running back in the NFL. A true testament to the caste system, as there is no way a white guy like Bettis would even get a second glance. He would be laughed off the field.

But he's still a nice guy though.
smiley36.gif

ESPN article

emt1

Guru
i said it once and i'll say it again..big ben is the reason why the steelers r in the superbowl yet all we hear is bettis this and bettis that
smiley7.gif

Kaptain

Master
Though out of shape and old for a running back, his success shows the void in the NFL in the power RB position. The position the used to be dominated by White RB's like Csonka and Riggins. With today's defenses (small DBs, CBs, and poor tackling)power running backs could be hugely successful. They just don't exist anymore except for the fat and old Jerome Bettis. He is successful only because he is unique in today's NFL.

backrow

Hall of Famer
if Alstott had Pittsburgh line and adequate number of carries he would be in-line with Riggins, Csonka and others and better than Jerome...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This would undoubtedly make 99% plus of football fans laugh, but Dan Kreider has the size, strength and potential running skills to be better than The Bus.

One would think Bettis is a former mayor of Detroit the way the "hometown" angle is being played up by the media. Like a lot of athletes and people in general who move around, his ties to Detroit are pretty tenuous. But we know how the media loves story lines when it comes to black athletes -- despite being a part-time player Bettis has been on the cover of Sports Illustrated two of the past three issues (the western edition has Shaun Alexander this week), and is also The Sporting News' coverboy this week.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Kreider is a beast... and yeah Bettis being a motown guy is all over media, but back in 2002 i remember that John Lynch being from San Diego was a big deal, too... however he was a starter and all-pro safety leader of Bucs championship team not a goalline back...

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don..You are right about Dan Kreider being potentially a better back than bettis and you are also right about 99% of football fans laughing about that observation. What a sad belief! All we want is a opportunity to prove ourself on the field of play..shouldn't be too much too ask. If a 4.6 speed guy like bettis can make it and a 4.55 guy like emmitt(those are not fast times for a tb) then why can't supposedly slow white tb's be given a chance? Just a rheotorical question, everybody at CF knows the answer.

JD074

Master
guest301 said:
Don..You are right about Dan Kreider being potentially a better back than bettis and you are also right about 99% of football fans laughing about that observation. What a sad belief! All we want is a opportunity to prove ourself on the field of play..shouldn't be too much too ask. If a 4.6 speed guy like bettis can make it and a 4.55 guy like emmitt(those are not fast times for a tb) then why can't supposedly slow white tb's be given a chance? Just a rheotorical question, everybody at CF knows the answer.

4.6? Really??? I assume you mean in his prime, which is still surprising. There's no way he even comes close to 4.6 now.

REDNOSE

Guru
I honestly believe Bettis is about a 5 flat forty at this point in his career putting him close to lineman speed. I have to say I have nothing against him personally, but if he were white....... I don't have that kind of imagination to dream up that scenario.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If football fans weren't so well trained by Caste System propaganda, they would look at Bettis and ask themselves, what exactly is it about The Bus that is so special that no white is capable of playing the position -- it's not his speed, it's not his short obese frame, it's not his power, it's not his moves, it's not his "hip fluidity" or fast twitch muscles. I like The Bus, but come on. It's like baseball fans observing Bill Madlock and Tony Gwynn and believing that no whites can ever be good hitters.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
If football fans weren't so well trained by Caste System propaganda, they would look at Bettis and ask themselves, what exactly is it about The Bus that is so special that no white is capable of playing the position -- it's not his speed, it's not his short obese frame, it's not his power, it's not his moves, it's not his "hip fluidity" or fast twitch muscles. I like The Bus, but come on. It's like baseball fans observing Bill Madlock and Tony Gwynn and believing that no whites can ever be good hitters.

Don, haven't you heard the announcers talk of his marvelous feet?
smiley36.gif

Yes, white running backs used to be the major runners on championship teams. Jim Taylor with the Packer teams of the Sixties. Larry Csonka with the Seventies Dolphins. Even Mark Van Eeghen on the Raiders.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What happened to hard working blue collar guys like those getting a chance anymore these days.It really is sad that these guys never get a chance to do anything other than block.Kreider would be an animal at running back.It probably scares them to think about it.They just can't let it happen,can they?We know it,hopefully someday they will realize it when that little light bulb in their heads finally turns on!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Don Wassall said:

Don, haven't you heard the announcers talk of his marvelous feet?

You know it'd be funny if it wasn't so true - they do talk about Bettis' quick feet and his remarkable 'balance' for a big man.

There has to be some reason he made it, right?
smiley5.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
Bettis also played on 2 teams dedicated to running the ball. First the Rams(before Martz) and then the Steelers. He would not fit into most NFL teams offenses.

JD074

Master
white lightning said:
Kreider would be an animal at running back.It probably scares them to think about it.They just can't let it happen,can they?

It does scare them... most coaches are scared to death because they think a "slow, unathletic" white man running the ball will destroy the team and that they'll get fired!

sport historian said:
Yes, white running backs used to be the major runners on championship teams. Jim Taylor with the Packer teams of the Sixties. Larry Csonka with the Seventies Dolphins. Even Mark Van Eeghen on the Raiders.

[/QUOTE=sport historian]

I remember the Vikings backfield that included Bill Brown and Dave Osborn. No blinding speed, but plenty of power.Edited by: Cassiodorus

whiteCB

Master
Jerome Bettis's "sick" statistics are more a result of opportunity rather than ability. He's 3rd all time in rushing carries and yet only 5th in rushing yards. So if he could keep pace with other great backs that means he would be at least 3rd in rushing yards becuase that would correlate to how many attempts hes had. Jerome Bettis Hall of Famer yes but only by circumstance and opportunity and not by pure ablity.

lokkon

first of all, I think that you can't blame somebody for being lucky. For sure bettis is a fat guy but from my point of view he deserve a bit of respect for being a gentleman however I would be pleased to see a big white RB doing the same thing at pittsburg.

white tornado

Mentor
Im glad to see Jerome go out on top. It says alot about Jerome how much his teamates wanted to win for him.