How Can we Compete With This?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was just noticing how some of the black starting RBs in the league are playing and how these blacks are supposedly "elites". It is basically a third of the way through the season so let's take a look.

Here are a whole bunch of black RBs getting starting reps at RB that are averaging 4 YPC or less through 5 or 6 games played. I will present them in decreasing rushing yardage order. Of course the thread title is sarcasm.

Rookie Matt Forte: He's getting a "much better" chance in this league than fellow 2nd rounder Brian Leonard from last year. He's in a better situation than Leonard played in for decimated St. Louis last year, yet his YPC is virtually identical.
Stats: 459 yards, 3.6 YPC, 3 TD.

Marion Barber: Plays in an elite Dallas offense yet his YPC is average at best.
Stats: 440 yards, 4 YPC, 4 TD.

Ladamian Tomlinson: He's a good RB I admit, but this year in a good offense he is playing pretty lousy. If a white rookie like Jacob Hester played at this level for the offensivly talented Chargers after 6 games started he would probably be benched. But we will never know because whites don't play at all.
Stats: 405 Yards, 3.7 YPC, 4 TD.

Edgerin James: This guy is pretty washed up, but continues to be a starter.
Stats: 363 yards, 3.6 YPC, 3 TD.

Ryan Grant: This guy is playing pathetic behind an above average o-line made for his type of running style. Jacob Hester or Brian Leonard would certainly outdo him in GB IMO.
Stats: 359 yards, 3.4 YPC, 0 TD.

Steven Jackson: Playing at the same level as Brian Leonard last season with much less injuries on the offense effecting the chemistry.
Stats: 348 yards, 3.6 YPC, 1 TD.

Jamal Lewis: Coming off a good season, he is struggling with the rest of the Browns, who just finally had a good game this week.
Stats 323 yards, 3.6 YPC, 2 TD.

Thomas Jones: Jones continues his career norm of averaging under 4 YPC, this time in an offense with Brett Favre as the QB to counter balance him.
Stats: 319, 3.8 YPC, 3 TD.

Marshawn Lynch: This guy has gotten much more of a chance than Brian Leonard has, but is stinking it up this year for Buffalo despite succesful players around him. I admit the Buffalo o-line is not very good though, but it certainly isn't worse than St. Louis's last season where Leoanard finished the season also with a 3.5 YPC average.
Stats: 319 yards, 3.5 YPC, 4 TD.

Now last but not least lets look at the most ridiculous scenario of them all.

Le'ron McClain: This guy was drafted 2 rounds after Brian Leonard as a pure blocking FB. His career stats in college for Alabama were a paltry 37 attempts for 170 yards and 2 TDs. And to top it off here is the most ridiculous thing of them all: McClain ran a pathetic 4.88 40 at the NFL combine. I thought the NFL was obsessed with speed in their RBs. How is this guy given starter like carries when athletic "FB" Brian Leonard hasn't even been active for many games.
Stats: 264 yards, 4.1 YPC (barely over 4), 4 TD.

The surprising thing is that a guy this ploddingly slow isn't actually playing bad. I wonder how good a 4.6 guy with a much better college resume with at least equal agility and power like Jacob Hester could do for San Deigo; an even better offense?

My, My; how can we compete? (Sarcasm)
smiley11.gif

I think this proves there is a caste system!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
excellent post, Tough.

it's too bad people don't want to be confused by the facts.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Good, informative post!

However,

Facts and statistics are for "racists," while propaganda is for intellectuals.

It's sort of like the old argument -- "As a man, if you had to marry one or the other, would you marry a fat, ugly, mean woman, or an athletic, handsome, and personable MAN?"

Well, of course you'd have to pick the woman, no matter how repulsive, because you're simply not gay.

My point being, the NFL has black running backs -- no matter how bad they are -- for the sake of having black running backs, because the other choice for them is impossible. They consider whites "gay" or something.

I dunno... It made more sense in my mind than when I wrote it.

icsept

Master
Don't forget about LenDale White: 63 carries for 165 yards for 2.6 yards per carry. This guy's career long run is 28 yards (in 427 attempts.) His career yards per carry is 3.6. He lost 5 fumbles last year. Can you imagine a sloppy, fat, slow white guy still in the league with these numbers?

guest301

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
Don't forget about LenDale White: 63 carries for 165 yards for 2.6 yards per carry. This guy's career long run is 28 yards (in 427 attempts.) His career yards per carry is 3.6. He lost 5 fumbles last year. Can you imagine a sloppy, fat, slow white guy still in the league with these numbers?

Good point. I didn't know LenDale's stats were so pathetic.

G

Sports is the human drama that appeals to the emotional it is why most people involved in sports are followers going along with the crowd. Even if it is glaringly stupid in its actions or thoughts the crowd follows content with the approval of others.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
icsept said:

Wow, that is pathetic icsept. That was a good point. I only overlooked Lendale White b/c he was not shown on sports.yahoo.com's top NFL rushers because he didn't have enough yards. But with 63 carries to not be on the top rushers list, which included 50 or so, is so pathetic it's ludicris he gets starter's carries. Will even the NFL allow such a pathetic back to keep running the ball? 2.6 YPC? Thank God for Tennessee that rookie RB Chris Johnson has emerged!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Joseph Addai, 216 yards 3.5 YPC 4 TD. His last 100 yard rushing game was 11/04/2007.

When everybody is mediocre, it doesn't take much to look good.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
GiovaniMarcon said:
Good, informative post!

However,

Facts and statistics are for "racists," while propaganda is for intellectuals.

It's sort of like the old argument -- "As a man, if you had to marry one or the other, would you marry a fat, ugly, mean woman, or an athletic, handsome, and personable MAN?"

Well, of course you'd have to pick the woman, no matter how repulsive, because you're simply not gay.

My point being, the NFL has black running backs -- no matter how bad they are -- for the sake of having black running backs, because the other choice for them is impossible. They consider whites "gay" or something.

I dunno... It made more sense in my mind than when I wrote it.

It was funny until the last part there, uh...Giovani.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Well, in all fairness to LenDale White, it is hard to get that fat, flabby body moving when you have c-cup breasts and short, chubby legs like a woman.

LenDale White, like his fatso brother, Jerome Bettis, is proof that literally anyone with a little athletic ability and size can be a star in the NFL a RB.

Brian Westbrook is one of the few NFL RBs who impresses me and is actually not overrated at all.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Well, in all fairness to LenDale White, it is hard to get that fat, flabby body moving when you have c-cup breasts and short, chubby legs like a woman.

LenDale White, like his fatso brother, Jerome Bettis, is proof that literally anyone with a little athletic ability and size can be a star in the NFL a RB.

Brian Westbrook is one of the few NFL RBs who impresses me and is actually not overrated at all.

I agree with you about Westbrook. He's one of the most talented and versatile running backs in recent NFL history.

Freedom

Mentor
I once asked somebody, "Who was the best white running back they ever saw?" The guy replied LenDale.
smiley18.gif

But the fact is that Running Back is the most Caste inflated positions in all of sports. Many highly touted running backs thrive due to their offensive lines and other blockers.

We can take comfort in the fact that once a back has size and 4.7-4.5 speed, traits like vision and the ability to follow blockers determine the value of a running back. With more big whites that run 4.5's, there will be more potential white running backs.