Holy Bible

What is the Bible to YOU?

• Offensive, and I dont want it pushed on me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know I should study more, so I can decide.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

davidholly

Mentor
I'm a deist, so I certainly don't think it's the word of god. Other than that I have no problems with it.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I wonder what ever happened to P-Nut? He was the one that started this thread. He seemed to have a lot of turmoil in his life. I hope it worked out for him. I also noticed a post by "White Savage" that's a poster I miss. Sure could use some more White Savage's, both at CF and in the real world.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Good choice of options on the poll P-nut, I think that sums up the way most people feel one way or the other.

I wonder how many people who voted on the poll or even respond to this or other Christian threads have actually read the Bible or have had another Christian tell them about Jesus?

When people call Christianity a "Religion", or the Bible is just another book, they're mistaken and that tells me they don't know much about The Bible or Jesus.

I don't know much myself, but I am a Christian, and Jesus did and claimed things that no one that has ever walked this earth has ever did or has done since. So, he's either the Savior or the biggest "liar" that ever lived.

It's interesting that most people will not say bad things about Jesus even if they don't believe in him or the Bible, calling him a good man, a prophet, etc., but how can he be good man or a prophet if he lied about who he is?

Again, he's either a "liar" or he's the Savior! I believe the Bible is the word of God and Jesus is the Savior!

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.
John, 14:6

Last edited:

Old Scratch

Mentor
I wonder how many people who voted on the poll or even respond to this or other Christian threads have actually read the Bible or have had another Christian tell them about Jesus?

When people call Christianity a "Religion", or the Bible is just another book, they're mistaken and that tells me they don't know much about The Bible or Jesus.

I don't know much myself, but I am a Christian, and Jesus did and claimed things that no one that has ever walked this earth has ever did or has done since. So, he's either the Savior or the biggest "liar" that ever lived.

It's interesting that most people will not say bad things about Jesus even if they don't believe in him or the Bible, calling him a good man, a prophet, etc., but how can he be good man or a prophet if he lied about who he is?

Again, he's either a "liar" or he's the Savior! I believe the Bible is the word of God and Jesus is the Savior!

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.
John, 14:6

Jesus wasn't necessarily a liar, the people that constructed the religion about him are liars.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Jesus wasn't necessarily a liar, the people that constructed the religion about him are liars.

Ok, so the people that wrote/constructed, thou shall not lie, steal, commit adultery, murder, etc. are all liars. Every quote from Jesus is a lie? All of history is a lie, everything written in every book is a lie?

I guess we should trust in "Old Scratch", we should believe what you say.

How do you know that the people that wrote the Bible are lying?

What is the truth?

You call Jesus/Christianity, a "Religion," but that is a lie. The truth is you don't know what your talking about when you call Christianity a Religion!

Old Scratch

Mentor
Ok, so the people that wrote/constructed, thou shall not lie, steal, commit adultery, murder, etc. are all liars. Every quote from Jesus is a lie? All of history is a lie, everything written in every book is a lie?

That is Old Testament, and just "do as I say not as I do" laws. The USA has laws, but the federal government isn't exactly on the up and up themselves, are they? By the way the Old Testament was compiled only a few hundred years before Christ. Maybe you should research the history of it.

I guess we should trust in "Old Scratch", we should believe what you say.

:icon_rolleyes: It's a username.

How do you know that the people that wrote the Bible are lying?

How do you know that they were telling the truth and it is the unadulterated word of god? There's more proof on my side.

You call Jesus/Christianity, a "Religion," but that is a lie. The truth is you don't know what your talking about when you call Christianity a Religion!

Uh, the various Christian sects are unequivocally religions. Look up the definition. Now if someone called it a mythology you could quibble about that, but "Christianity" is a religion.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
That is Old Testament, and just "do as I say not as I do" laws. The USA has laws, but the federal government isn't exactly on the up and up themselves, are they? By the way the Old Testament was compiled only a few hundred years before Christ. Maybe you should research the history of it.

:icon_rolleyes: It's a username.

How do you know that they were telling the truth and it is the unadulterated word of god? There's more proof on my side.

Uh, the various Christian sects are unequivocally religions. Look up the definition. Now if someone called it a mythology you could quibble about that, but "Christianity" is a religion.

I believe Genesis was written before Leviticus,( where the Ten Commandments were first introduced!)Leviticus, 20, 3-17.

Genesis, 3:15 says, "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; "he" will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Who is "he?" I believe that is Jesus predicted to defeat Satan before the Ten Commandments were mentioned.

Micah, 5:2 Messiah to be born in Bethlehem, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in Matthew, 2;1-6/Luke 2, 1-20

Isaiah, 7:14, Messiah to be born of a virgin, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in Matthew 1, 18-25 and Luke, 1, 26-38

Exodus, 12:46 Messiah's bones not to be broken, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in John, 19: 31-36.....

How many prophecies do you want? I could go on and on about the coming of Jesus as predicted in the "OLD TESTAMENT."

Jesus said, before Abraham was born, I AM! John, 8:58

What you don't get is, Jesus has always been! That's what the Jews couldn't conceive.

You might want to do your research!

The difference in Religion and Christianity is Religion says what you have to do be "Religious",

now read closely....... Christianity is what Jesus Christ did for you. No other "Religion in the world or history of the world" is like Christianity.

You're really pinning your existence on secular humanism?

Last edited:

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The Old Testament has a great deal more than just Levitical laws. The first 5 books, the Pentateuch, were written by Moses around 1,400 BC, just a few years more than the "few hundred years" before Christ. In these books you'll find the legal stuff you're fretting about. After that their are the historical books, the "poetic" books, and the prophetic books. The "newest" book of the OT, Nehemiah, was written around 425 BC. The 39 books of the Old Testament were written over a 1,200 year period by a couple dozen different authors in different times, places, settings, and predicaments, yet are completely harmonious. Perhaps it is you that should "research the history" of it.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
In the broader meaning of "religion", which essentially under this definition means "faith", yes, Christianity would qualify as a "religion". But so would secular humanism, athiesm, and even agnosticism. Which must mean that you are most definitely a zealot, Anak.

Old Scratch

Mentor
The Old Testament has a great deal more than just Levitical laws. The first 5 books, the Pentateuch, were written by Moses around 1,400 BC, just a few years more than the "few hundred years" before Christ. In these books you'll find the legal stuff you're fretting about. After that their are the historical books, the "poetic" books, and the prophetic books. The "newest" book of the OT, Nehemiah, was written around 425 BC. The 39 books of the Old Testament were written over a 1,200 year period by a couple dozen different authors in different times, places, settings, and predicaments, yet are completely harmonious. Perhaps it is you that should "research the history" of it.

The compilation of all the Biblical writings into one tome happened a few centuries before the putative birth of Christ, I don't agree that they are harmonious they are contradictory and open to wildly different interpretation, Moses is a mythological figure, and the ten commandments that he alluded to are a set of laws. Perhaps it is you that should acquire some reading comprehension.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The compilation of all the Biblical writings into one tome happened a few centuries before the putative birth of Christ, I don't agree that they are harmonious they are contradictory and open to wildly different interpretation, Moses is a mythological figure, and the ten commandments that he alluded to are a set of laws. Perhaps it is you that should acquire some reading comprehension.
You're a funny guy, Anak. Sure, the canonization of the OT occurred from 450 BC for the Pentateuch, or Torah, the others shortly after that. Big deal, doesn't change when they were originally written, and how many thousands of copies that are available that verify the accuracy. You can squawk all day about "contradictions" and "interpretations" but any you can come up with are easy to "esplain". The Ten Commandments are some of the laws that I mention are in the Pentateuch. What's your point? For a mythological figure, Moses sure wrote a lot of stuff! How can you prove or disprove his existence? How about Homer? Was he a mythological figure writing about mythological figures?

Old Scratch

Mentor
For a mythological figure, Moses sure wrote a lot of stuff!

Did he?

I'm not an adherent to ancient Greek mythology, so I'm not sure why you're asking me about Homer. As far as that goes though, there is speculation and debate on whether Homer ever existed and whether or not there were multiple authors for his epics. Yes, he was writing about mythological figures, just like the authors of the Bible. I mean I don't really think that there was a demigod named Achilles that was aided by the goddess Athena, although the Iliad probably has more historical veracity than the Old Testament overall.

nJXw7M0.png

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer

I gave you my answer about Christ and the Ten Commandments in Post #33, which you either ignored or just missed.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I believe Genesis was written before Leviticus,( where the Ten Commandments were first introduced!)Leviticus, 20, 3-17.

Genesis, 3:15 says, "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; "he" will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Who is "he?" I believe that is Jesus predicted to defeat Satan before the Ten Commandments were mentioned.

Micah, 5:2 Messiah to be born in Bethlehem, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in Matthew, 2;1-6/Luke 2, 1-20

Isaiah, 7:14, Messiah to be born of a virgin, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in Matthew 1, 18-25 and Luke, 1, 26-38

Exodus, 12:46 Messiah's bones not to be broken, Old Testament, New Testament fulfilled in John, 19: 31-36.....

How many prophecies do you want? I could go on and on about the coming of Jesus as predicted in the "OLD TESTAMENT."

Jesus said, before Abraham was born, I AM! John, 8:58

What you don't get is, Jesus has always been! That's what the Jews couldn't conceive.

You might want to do your research!

The difference in Religion and Christianity is Religion says what you have to do be "Religious",

now read closely....... Christianity is what Jesus Christ did for you. No other "Religion in the world or history of the world" is like Christianity.

You're really pinning your existence on secular humanism?

Here it is.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
......although the Iliad probably has more historical veracity than the Old Testament overall.
You really need to stop reading the atheist websites where they make up "facts" out of thin air in order to try to discredit the Bible and Christianity. The Bible (both old and new testaments) are the most archeologically verified books in the history of the world! They are digging every day finding new artifacts and ruins that bring even further veracity to the Word.

As to Moses, it is mere conjecture that he is mythological. One day someone looking to muddy waters said, "hey, who met Moses and can come forward and tell us about him?", and then the Anaks of the world said, "well, since no one can, he must be a myth!" Almost any figure in history can become a "myth" by this verification method.

What was that about the evolution of the eye again?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
You really need to stop reading the atheist websites where they make up "facts" out of thin air in order to try to discredit the Bible and Christianity. The Bible (both old and new testaments) are the most archeologically verified books in the history of the world! They are digging every day finding new artifacts and ruins that bring even further veracity to the Word.

As to Moses, it is mere conjecture that he is mythological. One day someone looking to muddy waters said, "hey, who met Moses and can come forward and tell us about him?", and then the Anaks of the world said, "well, since no one can, he must be a myth!" Almost any figure in history can become a "myth" by this verification method.

What was that about the evolution of the eye again?

Quite a lot to respond to FBD, but you are correct about the accounts and history of the Bible being verified.

.....and yes it seems if you want to say certain people in history are myths and others aren't, it really doesn't make much sense!

As I've asked atheists before, to which I don't get an answer... What is truth? Most Atheists do not have an answer for that.

Most atheists are humanists, well, we can see what happens when we rely on ourselves instead of God.

Since 1962/63, when the Bible and Prayer was taken from our schools......

Teen pregnancy up 500%
STD's up over 200%
Divorce rate has skyrocketed!
Violent crime up over 500%, etc., etc,....

We've murdered over 40 million babies since 1973! God Help Us!

Yeah, Humanism has really done a great job in the USA hasn't it!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Quite a lot to respond to FBD, but you are correct about the accounts and history of the Bible being verified.

.....and yes it seems if you want to say certain people in history are myths and others aren't, it really doesn't make much sense!

As I've asked atheists before, to which I don't get an answer... What is truth? Most Atheists do not have an answer for that.

Most atheists are humanists, well, we can see what happens when we rely on ourselves instead of God.

Since 1962/63, when the Bible and Prayer was taken from our schools......

Teen pregnancy up 500%
STD's up over 200%
Divorce rate has skyrocketed!
Violent crime up over 500%, etc., etc,....

We've murdered over 40 million babies since 1973! God Help Us!

Yeah, Humanism has really done a great job in the USA hasn't it!

Oh yeah, and another thing. Why does belief in God and the Bible seem to bother atheists so much!
It doesn't bother me that they're atheists! My only question is, what if the Atheists, in all of their knowledge and human superiority, just happen to be wrong?????

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I was merely responding to Anak's assertion that Moses was somehow a mythological figure, which is ridiculous. I suggested that based on his assumed criteria for someone to be a "real" person, many, many historical figures could be "mythological".

davidholly

Mentor
Speaking of discrediting any historical figure, there's a theory that Charlemagne never existed. He was just invented by Holy Roman Empire scholars to embellish the founding of the empire. It's called the phantom time hypothesis.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I was merely responding to Anak's assertion that Moses was somehow a mythological figure, which is ridiculous. I suggested that based on his assumed criteria for someone to be a "real" person, many, many historical figures could be "mythological".

Yes, I was agreeing with you. I posed the same thing to him in an earlier post.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Speaking of discrediting any historical figure, there's a theory that Charlemagne never existed. He was just invented by Holy Roman Empire scholars to embellish the founding of the empire. It's called the phantom time hypothesis.
I'm sure that he, like Moses, Homer, Platos, Michalangelo, and the tooth fairy are all mythological.

Last edited:

Old Scratch

Mentor

How is it ridiculous? There is no proof outside of the Bible that Moses existed, no where in Egyptian records or otherwise. And the Bible is about as accurate and truthful as the Iliad, so not very.

Old Scratch

Mentor

Likewise, you need to stop reading the Christian websites that make up their own facts as well because none of that is true. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/archeology-hebrew-bible.html