Hitch-Hiking

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
When I was young hitch-hiking was common place and I did a lot of it myself as a teenager. But it's all but extinct now in the land of the fearful conformists.

Holding a Thumb to the Wind: America, Land of the Fearful, is No Place to Hitch-Hike

by Dave Lindorff

Yesterday, I hitch-hiked to the gym.

If I tell that to any of my friends, they look at me like I’m crazy.

Yet if I had said the same thing 40 years ago, it would have been like saying, "I just drove over to the store" or "I just had lunch." No one would have batted an eye.

Actually though, it was a remarkable experience. The day was pretty cold, with a biting dry wind, and I had planned to walk the three-mile distance, because my wife had one car and my son had the other, my bicycle had a flat tire, and I was happy for the extra exercise. But then, when I got into the little market center of Maple Glen, about a quarter mile from my house, I decided it would be a good time to stick out my thumb and take a reading on the state of American community-mindedness. It’s a week before Christmas, after all, so people should be in an especially friendly, sympathetic mood, right?

Wrong.

I watched in wonder as over 100 cars drove past me, most of the drivers averting their faces or staring stonily ahead so as to appear not to notice me. Some of the cars were driven by women. Okay I get that. Everyone’s a potential rapist when you’re a woman alone, but then again, it’s daytime, and I’m a 62-year-old guy with a Santa-like white beard. And how about two women in a car or three? Well, I’m a forgiving guy, so I still get that.

But what about all the guys who drove past? Big guys in pick-up trucks. Often two guys or even three guys in a car. What are they afraid of? Really nothing. It’s more about not wanting to let anyone else in your bubble, I think. Having to converse with a stranger. Having to be a minute or two later getting to the mall (this was a Sunday afternoon).

Remember too, Maple Glen, PA is a small town. Certainly some of the people passing me had seen me in the local stores. But because they were so intent on avoiding my gaze, they weren’t really looking closely.
I was musing on all this, and thinking about how, whenever I’ve mentioned hitch-hiking, the immediate response is, "Oh, that’s really dangerous. People are crazy these days." That’s immediately followed by a line about how, "I never pick up hitch-hikers."

My own background with regard to hitch-hiking is, I confess, a bit extreme. I hitched everywhere as a teenager, criss-crossing the country several times, making one trip at 17 with a friend from high school all the way from Connecticut to Alaska and back over the sumer of 1966. My wife and I, back in the early 1970s, hitched a lot of places together -- from New York to Florida, all over the northeast, and from Aspen, Colorado to the Grand Canyon and back (with a stretch on a freight train from Moab, Utah to Grand Junction, Colorado). Hell, we hitch-hiked to our own wedding, from Cambridge, Mass. to Middletown, Connecticut!

There were some difficult times, to be sure, like in Moab late at night when some rowdy teenagers with nothing better to do than race up and down the main street in pick-up trucks, decided to pitch some empty beer bottles at us (that experience led us to opt for the freight hopping to get out of town). But in general, as long as you stayed out of the cars that reeked of alcohol, thumbing was a pretty safe way to travel, especially by twos. Same for picking people up. I haver never had a problem myself giving people rides who were thumbing, though a couple of times I admit I’ve had qualms -- but never if there were two of us in the car.

Are things crazier today?

No! They are safer. That’s what is so weird about people’s unwillingness to give a hitcher a ride these days. All the crime statistics show that crime is about where it was in the ‘70s (total crime in 2009 was the same as in 1968, with homicides down to the lowest rate since 1964, while violent crime in general has been falling since 1990 and is now at the level it was in 1973). What’s way up is fear. We have a media that live and breathe crime reporting, and always as lurid as possible. The more gruesome the story, the better. And we have a government that is all about generating fear -- fear of crime, fear of immigrants, fear of terrorists, fear of poor people, fear of the 99%, fear of hitch-hikers, you name it.

My grandfather, back in the Second World War, was a traveling salesman. One night on a long intercity drive, he picked up a hitchhiker in uniform--a sailor. It was at night, and the guy, dog-tired, fell asleep almost right away in the passenger seat. As he drove along, my grandfather turned on the radio for company, and heard a news report about a killer who was hitchhiking, last seen in a Navy uniform. My grandfather drove on, and left the guy off at the nearest restaurant lying that he was turning off the highway. The poor sailor was probably not a criminal -- just one lonely guy trying to make his way home on leave.

It was probably a prudent move on my grandfather’s part, but it shows that there has always been an element of risk in hitching or in picking up hitch-hikers, and yet people used to do it easily, so that hitching was a viable way to get around if you didn’t have a car.

In fact hitch-hiking was a way of life for people without cars for nearly a century, before fear took over this country. Now almost nobody will pick up a hitch-hiker.

It’s gotten so that almost nobody even thinks to hitch-hike. What that means is that the people who still hitch-hike tend to be real down-on-their-luck types, often winos and homeless folks. I generally pick people up, figuring that I owe a lifetime of favors to such people for all the thumbing I did over the years, but there are times I wish I’d put down a newspaper before the rider sat down! The odor of urine can be overpowering.

It’s a sad commentary on the state of our society that today most--or nearly all-- Americans in cars will not stop for anyone trying to hitch a ride, however well dressed or coifed.

I did finally get a ride Sunday. It was a big SUV that stopped. When I got in, I found myself seated in a vehicle among three immigrants from India. I was sitting in back with the teenaged son. The father, who was driving, said he had "only stopped because my wife said she was afraid you were one of those people with dementia, who was lost. I was afraid if I didn’t pick you up, I’d be hearing about it from her all day long!"

The wife, my benefactor, sitting in the passenger seat, laughed in embarrassment.

It took this family from a whole different cultural background from our own fear-crazed American society to see the human need before them, and to act out of generosity or concern, offering a fellow human being some assistance.

I thank them, but end up thinking: how sad for us that we’ve come to this as a nation.

http://poorrichards-blog.blogspot.com/2011/12/holding-thumb-to-wind-america-land-of.html

backrow

Hall of Famer
No! They are safer. That’s what is so weird about people’s unwillingness to give a hitcher a ride these days. All the crime statistics show that crime is about where it was in the ‘70s (total crime in 2009 was the same as in 1968, with homicides down to the lowest rate since 1964, while violent crime in general has been falling since 1990 and is now at the level it was in 1973). What’s way up is fear. We have a media that live and breathe crime reporting, and always as lurid as possible. The more gruesome the story, the better. And we have a government that is all about generating fear -- fear of crime, fear of immigrants, fear of terrorists, fear of poor people, fear of the 99%, fear of hitch-hikers, you name it.

i didn't realize that. i normally don't give rides to people either, but i used to. it's not a common practice in Europe which i guess is where i get it from now.

too bad, as it must be a great adventure, to hike all over US!!!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"And we have a government that is all about generating fear -- fear of crime, fear of immigrants, fear of terrorists, fear of poor people, fear of the 99%, fear of hitch-hikers, you name it."

Fear of immigrants!?!

What world is this clown living in?

The whole government/media/political/business/religious/academic establishment is 100% behind the immigration invasion. They make sure white people are bombarded with messages portraying Third Worlders as nice, polite, family values types who come here "bearing gifts."

This old fool is clearly crazy and the people who passed him by knew what they were doing.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hitch-hiking was very common in the South and especially in my neck of the Mississippi Delta when I was growing up. I know a couple of blacks who don't own cars who still hitch-hike on a regular basis. Of course their situation is a bit different than someone trying to hitch-hike across the U.S.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I have picked up youths in the country that wanted to get to points on the road that I was traveling, it's quite common in the country. The only draw back living in the country has is poor public transportation and poor and relatively expensive cab service. I know where I live buses coming into the two biggest cities in the area(Toronto and Buffalo) aren't direct and really only run during prime commuting hours.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
[video=youtube;uCJ8DJHSSjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJ8DJHSSjg[/video]

The real reason most people dont pick up hitch-hikers today is they actually dont give a damn about each other any more! They look at the world like "Hey, I got things to do. If he doesn't have a car, thats not my problem."

Selfishness is killing the White race, we hate each other. And I think the media has had a lot to do with it.
But I still pick up hitch hikers and I still stop when some one is having trouble on the side of the road...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I used to hitch hike a lot as a youth. I once hitched across the country and would also do it to get home from school occasionally (and that was in the city of Detroit!). There are a lot of reasons NOT to pick up hitch hikers now, especially since anyone doing it usually has a problem or ulterior motive. I think hitch hiking died out as the White working class increased in financial status and more cars become available. You have to be a real loser not to have a car nowadays what with the glut in vehicles.

The main reason I stopped hitching before I got a car was because of homo's. At the end of the hitch hiking era it seemed to me that the only ones that would pick you up were gay. Having a pervert hit on you a couple of times is enough to make the poorly run and operated bus system attractive.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The real reason most people dont pick up hitch-hikers today is they actually dont give a damn about each other any more! They look at the world like "Hey, I got things to do. If he doesn't have a car, thats not my problem."

Selfishness is killing the White race, we hate each other. And I think the media has had a lot to do with it.
But I still pick up hitch hikers and I still stop when some one is having trouble on the side of the road...

Excellent posts Don, Jaxvid, and Spacehillbily. I wish life would get back to "normal" whatever that is.

It's all in your situation. I drive a pickup, so when the weather is ok I tell a hitch-hiker to get on the back. That way I know they must stand up to try anything and if you hit your brakes at 60 MPH, no one is staying on the back for long. If they get in the truck, I have a gun and my girlfriend always sits next to me, so I know I can use her for a human shield while shooting back...

white is right

Hall of Famer
I used to hitch hike a lot as a youth. I once hitched across the country and would also do it to get home from school occasionally (and that was in the city of Detroit!). There are a lot of reasons NOT to pick up hitch hikers now, especially since anyone doing it usually has a problem or ulterior motive. I think hitch hiking died out as the White working class increased in financial status and more cars become available. You have to be a real loser not to have a car nowadays what with the glut in vehicles.

The main reason I stopped hitching before I got a car was because of homo's. At the end of the hitch hiking era it seemed to me that the only ones that would pick you up were gay. Having a pervert hit on you a couple of times is enough to make the poorly run and operated bus system attractive.
This is funny and one of the reasons why I won't pick up a drifter type, well really because I could get jacked as usually I am alone when traveling country side roads. Of course I could run into a rural youth axe murderer...:biggrin: No joke there was a guy about 21 who trolled the internet and killed young girls in small Northern British Columbia towns I think he was caught after killing about 3 girls on arranged dates.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
It's all in your situation. I drive a pickup, so when the weather is ok I tell a hitch-hiker to get on the back. That way I know they must stand up to try anything and if you hit your brakes at 60 MPH, no one is staying on the back for long. If they get in the truck, I have a gun and my girlfriend always sits next to me, so I know I can use her for a human shield while shooting back...
This post gave me a good laugh.

I'm too young to have ever hitch-hiked but my dad has shared stories about hitch-hiking all over Europe. He went across the center of Iceland with a guy with a jeep. Sounded cool. I wonder if it's still more common to hitch-hike in Europe these days?

backrow

Hall of Famer
Freethinker:

no bud,not common at all. moreso in rural areas i'd imagine, but not frequently either

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

LOL! I've a pickup as well, but have my kids to look after. Besides, I'd not want to pickup a nut or qu33r....as I'd then have to (then) kick their @$$ out the passenger side door....sans stopping. :icon_cool:

Quiet Speed

Mentor
[video=youtube;nQKDQCYsEZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDQCYsEZM[/video]

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
[video=youtube;nQKDQCYsEZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDQCYsEZM[/video]

LOL! That was late character actor Bill McKinney of "Deliverance" fame. He was in Clint's Malpasso actors stable for a while....in films like "Any Which Way But Loose", "Pink Cadillac" & "The Outlaw Josey Wales". Oft noted for instucting ol' Ned Beatty's character to "Squeal like a pig!!!"

billmc.jpg

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Interesting topic, Don.

Last winter, my company sent me to a job at a hotel in downtown Pittsburg. While I was surveying the property, an expensive SUV (a “Denali,†I believe) with a flat tire pulled off the road and into the parking lot. A wimpy, frail, 40-something man and his wife (or girlfriend) got out of the vehicle and were obviously panicked. I watched for a while as the man attempted to locate one of those crappy scissor jacks and tire irons (that come will all cars) to change the flat. He looked pretty lost, his loud-mouthed wife/girlfriend was screaming at him, and he didn’t seem to have any tools.

Feeling bad, I asked if he needed anything, mentioning that I have a bottle jack, a good lugnut remover, a jack stand, a miniature air compressor and other tools in my personal vehicle. He obliged, and I began to jack up his back tire. After removing the tire, I asked him if he even had a spare, which, for whatever insane reason, he didn’t. So we found the source of the leak, which was only a small puncture. Luckily, I had some of those red tire plugs and some silicone in my toolbox and was able to patch and inflate the tire with my small compressor (powered by the cigarette lighter).

After it was fixed, the man, who seemed like a totally clueless city boy, was very nice and pleaded for me to take some money for my trouble. I kept declining, and when he opening the door and got into his car, I noticed a blue “Star of David†sticker on his visor. He begged for my address, and I reluctantly gave it to him. A few weeks later, he then sent me some sort of expensive crystal bowl in the mail. His return address featured a stereotypical Jewish name. Oh well, even though he was a total p-ssy, at least he was a pleasant Jew.

I’ve stopped to help stranded motorists plenty of times (mostly women) but with so many weirdos, I’m becoming more reluctant to do so. When my alternator caught on fire 2 years ago (something I certainly couldn’t fix along the road), literally thousands of motorists “passed up†the opportunity to help me, haha.

Anak

Mentor

I agree with this, the one time I can remember not stopping is when it was raining out and I didn't want to get my car soaked and I figured someone else would give him a ride, but I usually give hitch-hikers rides. Once there was this dirty hoboish older man desperately waving at passing cars so I gave him a ride, I rather regretted it because he smelled nothing too pleasant.