High Schoolers

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is the fastest high school boys in the 100 meters All Time for the US. Notice Boling is there twice but Bair & Buffington on the
fringe of the fastest boys ever to run in high school. Gatlin Bair did this as a high school junior but is quiting track for football. :(

100 METERS
10.00Trentavis Friday (Cherryville, North Carolina)2014
10.01Jeff Demps (South Lake, Groveland, Florida)2008
10.09(A)Anthony Schwartz (American Heritage, Plantation, Florida)2018
10.09Jaylen Slade (IMG, Bradenton, Florida)2021
10.10Issam Asinga (Academy, Montverde, Florida)2023
10.11(A)Matthew Boling (Strake, Houston, Texas)2019
10.12Jeff Demps2008
10.13Derrick Florence (Ball, Galveston, Texas)1986
10.13Anthony Schwartz2018
10.13Matthew Boling2019
10.13T’Mars McCallum (Carolina Forest, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)2022
10.13Jordan Ware (Central, Memphis, Tennessee)2023
10.15 Brody Buffington(Maryland) and Gatlin Bair(Oregon) 2023

Last edited:

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Even if Boling doesn’t go on to greater glory in the 100, his time clearly inspired some kids.

The way I read this is that there are clearly lots of fast black kids over 100m but whitey is capable of hanging and if this continues may even begin to overtake.

Not that I think the 100 is the ultimate test of athleticism for whites or blacks but it is significant that the last few years have seen a lot more noise from out side in the event.

Couple that w success in hurdling and maybe we have a trend!

freedom1

Mentor
If a Boling or Lemaitre type could break through to that next level, it would cause an avalanche of white kid interest. I personally don't think Lemaitre had the character, but Boling really puzzles me. Boling seems like a hard worker with a great attitude. It's probably what other people here have brought up, i.e., there is something wrong with his coaching.

mastermulti

Master
If a Boling or Lemaitre type could break through to that next level, it would cause an avalanche of white kid interest. I personally don't think Lemaitre had the character, but Boling really puzzles me. Boling seems like a hard worker with a great attitude. It's probably what other people here have brought up, i.e., there is something wrong with his coaching.
with his early successes I saw much joy in Lemaitre. That seemed to vanish as the novelty wore off and he felt the weight of expectation. Happened to a young Shirvington too - he believed the newspapers' hype and couldn't bear to let them (and us) down.
When a particular event id dominated by a particular grouping then there are dozens of potential replacements if you are injured. Pressure is on when you're the best in a small grouping and can't afford NOT to run well at every appearance. That's really tough!

freedom1

Mentor
Shirvington over trained. Lemaitre under trained (I remember those vids of him squatting with 135). We need something in the middle.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shirvington over trained. Lemaitre under trained (I remember those vids of him squatting with 135). We need something in the middle.

Your exactly right Freedom. You nailed it. I'm sure there were also other factors but the overworkload with Shirvo and the
lack of enough with Lemaitre hurt them both. I've often said Lemaitre being a super shy introvert hurt him alot. He was
painfully shy growing up and was also bullied when younger. I think this had a lifelong effect on him as it does to many people.

freedom1

Mentor
Shirvo was bombarding himself with weights and plyo before he hit is 10.03 into a negative wind. See link regarding how heavy his poundage was. He was only 19 when he got that mark and everyone was surprised. His coach, Michael Khmel, then proceeded to drive him even harder.

freedom1

Mentor
Shirvo was bombarding himself with weights and plyo before he hit is 10.03 into a negative wind. See link regarding how heavy his poundage was. He was only 19 when he got that mark and everyone was surprised. His coach, Michael Khmel, then proceeded to drive him even harder.

And Lemaitre, he was just a genetic freak, probably the best white sprinter genetics ever. His top speed was off the charts.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I also think that Boling is probably someone who wants to benefit the team so he commits to a variety of events in a way that didn’t help him. He could be world class with the right prep and coaching. The good news is he is plenty young enough to do so.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brody Buffington will be running at the USATF Under 20 Championships next week.

With all the racing he is doing this summer he might want to skip the indoor season at Georgia. Then again he is 18 and you
recover so much faster when your young. He will be fine. Great article and yeah the officials don't like him for some reason when he
is so much less arrogant than many of the sprinters he runs against yet they don't get disqualified. Good luck to him in a weeks time!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer

maxres.jpg

Who is the next Matthew Boling?​

RICO KNOWS

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gatlin Bair is down to his top 5 schools recruiting him. Oregon and Boise State are 2 of the 5 along with Michigan and a couple
of others. From a non football standpoint I hope he picks Oregon. They are very good in football for decades now and their
track program is always one of the top 10 schools for running from sprints to distances. They could help him even more and the
history at Hayword Stadium on that track is amazing. Maybe he would reconsider and play both sports.? If not there I hope he picks
Boise State as he is from Idaho and he is used the the weather and the surroundings. I just want him to have a chance to continue to
be a 2 sport athlete if he changes his mind about football. I'm still beyond depressed he is giving up track! :(

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Mia Brahe-Pedersen continued her incredible season by winning the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m relay at the NACAC (North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association) U23 Championships.

She won the 100m in 11.08. (wind legal)
The 200m in 23.05. (wind legal)
And anchored the 4x100m relay in meet record time.
A fantastic ending to her incredible season!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mia Brahe-Pedersen continued her incredible season by winning the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m relay at the NACAC (North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association) U23 Championships.

She won the 100m in 11.08. (wind legal)
The 200m in 23.05. (wind legal)
And anchored the 4x100m relay in meet record time.
A fantastic ending to her incredible season!!

Congrats to Mia Brahe-Perdersen. A true sprinting superstar and someone all of the young girls can look up to as she is truely a class act
both on and off the track. Amazing Season. Just simply incredible.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Another nice feature on 14 year old Aria Pearce.
It's nice to know that the pipeline of very fast girls continues.
It started with Jenna Prandini, followed by Hannah Cunliffe and Mary Beth Sant Price.
Then continued with Abby Steiner and high school phenom Mia Brahe-Pedersen.
Aria Pearce appears to be next in line.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another nice feature on 14 year old Aria Pearce.
It's nice to know that the pipeline of very fast girls continues.
It started with Jenna Prandini, followed by Hannah Cunliffe and Mary Beth Sant Price.
Then continued with Abby Steiner and high school phenom Mia Brahe-Pedersen.
Aria Pearce appears to be next in line.

We are living in some exciting times for us track fans. At least with the women we won't lose them to
other sports like with Cole Beck and Gatlin Bair to name just a few guys. So sad when elite talent goes
into another sport. Aria Pearce is not only incredibly talented but she also is very smart. Bright future for sure!

mastermulti

Master
Aria - what a talented young lady. And doesn't she present as sensible, bright and mature. She will be a sponsor's dream providing it all hangs together for the next 1/2 dozen years

mastermulti

Master
We are living in some exciting times for us track fans. At least with the women we won't lose them to
other sports like with Cole Beck and Gatlin Bair to name just a few guys. So sad when elite talent goes
into another sport. Aria Pearce is not only incredibly talented but she also is very smart. Bright future for sure!
well, there's an increasing chance they could be lost to soccer. The World Cup women's soccer game here in Australia 3 days ago between Denmark and Australia became the top rated TV sports audience in history - ahead of the men's AFL final and Rugby League state v state series (our football codes).
ODDS are that will be beaten again this Saturday when Australia play France in the quarter finals

Here are a few kids to look out for in the coming years. 9th Grader Landon Fye has ran a 10.73 and 22.00 and dipped into the 10 a few times this year

gman2024

It's not just white sprinters that sometimes peak very young. I've seen countless black sprinters do the same. It's hard to explain just why.

One white sprinter that has make me scratch my head recently is Gavin Schurr. He was almost unbeatable in high school and looked like
the next Boling. He got to college and has disapeared into average to below average. Maybe he parties too much. Who knows?

Hey jacknyc. I sent you a private message.
partying no, coaches trying to reinvent the wheel? yes

white is right

Hall of Famer
Gatlin Bair is down to his top 5 schools recruiting him. Oregon and Boise State are 2 of the 5 along with Michigan and a couple
of others. From a non football standpoint I hope he picks Oregon. They are very good in football for decades now and their
track program is always one of the top 10 schools for running from sprints to distances. They could help him even more and the
history at Hayword Stadium on that track is amazing. Maybe he would reconsider and play both sports.? If not there I hope he picks
Boise State as he is from Idaho and he is used the the weather and the surroundings. I just want him to have a chance to continue to
be a 2 sport athlete if he changes his mind about football. I'm still beyond depressed he is giving up track! :(
Many casual observers don't realize it but to make the US track teams in the sprints and field events is harder than making a big 4 league roster and the pay if you make a national team can be similar to minor league big 4 league pay. As long as the economic demographics are similar to what it is now track and field will always have this problem.