Herschel Walker Enters MMA

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
UGA legend (& DWF "god") Herschel Walker has signed with Strikeforce to fight in MMA. Although he's remained in good shape, I seriously doubt he'll have the skills to match-up with younger fighters.

Former NFLer Herschel Walker signed with Strikeforce

By Maggie Hendricks

Herschel Walker, the Heisman Trophy-winning running back and former NFL player with the Minnesota Vikings and Dallas Cowboys, has found a new career: mixed martial arts. The 47-year-old Walker has signed a contract with Strikeforce to fight at an unspecified date. He will begin training with American Kickboxing Academy, the high-profile camp in San Jose, Calif., that trains UFC standouts Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, Jon Fitch, Cain Velasquez and Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

"I've been training for several years. I would play college football games on Saturday and then compete in martial arts tournaments on Sunday after church. I'm now looking forward to opening up another chapter in my life and to competing in MMA," said Walker in a news release.

Walker is not the first high-profile athlete to make the jump to MMA. In the current season of "The Ultimate Fighter," four former NFL players are trying for a chance at a contract with the UFC, most notably Marcus Jones, who played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for seven years. Cleveland Cavaliers star Shaquille O'Neal has trained in mixed martial arts for years, and made jokes about challenging former UFC champ Chuck Liddell.

That doesn't mean that the road to MMA success will be easy for Walker, who retired from football in 1997. During last week's episode of "The Ultimate Fighter," Jones became sick from the intense workouts that MMA requires. Afterwards, he noted that he never had to work that hard in the NFL.

Walker will also have the obstacle of age in front of him. Though there are fighters who compete well into their forties -- most notably Randy Couture, who is 46 -- but those fighters did not spend much of their lives being tackled by 265 pound linebackers. The wear and tear on a running back should not be dismissed when looking at Walker's chances.

At the same time, it will be hard not to root for him. He's been an MMA fan for years, and was even at UFC 103 this past weekend in Dallas. Walker is a modern-day Jim Thorpe, having competed in the Olympic bobsled, professional football and now MMA. Now, he will test the bounds of his age and health again in MMA. Seeing a 47-year-old man walk the walk in this manner is downright inspirational.

***Reference article...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This is a joke. Just because a guy was a good runningback doesn't mean he can fight. The clowns who run Strikeforce think they can make lots of money by putting in over the hill affletes in fights.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Dana loaded up TUF with former football players, albeit younger ones, so maybe Walker figures why not? lol He probably saw Ray Mercer knock out Tim Sylvia with one punch and thinks he can do the same. I bet he is in better shape than Jose Canseco!
smiley17.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Maybe Walker belongs with that other post about football players who run out of money after retiring? Anyway I always disliked the SOB so the chance to see him get his butt kicked is a plus.

He allegedly has multiple personalities (ie. also did ballet), so maybe this is one.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Even though he's training with a good MMA camp (AKA), I think the DWF "Dawg Nation" legend will get crushed, because being "in shape" & being a great "afflete" aren't enough to cut it in MMA. The 47 year old Walker's fighting on the Strikeforce card on January 30th against James Thompson (6-4, 270) who's 26-14 & a tomato can, BUT his experience, size & skill should enable him to beat the UGA legend. Thompson has wins over MMA legend Don Frye & the 7-2, 385 lb Paulo Cesar "The Giant" Silva. Thompson also took "Bimbo Lice" to the mat & delivered about 3 dozen un-answered punches (which technically should have ended the fight...with a TKO victory for Thompson). I'd love to see "#34" get KTFO'd in round 1!
smiley2.gif

Walker Discusses MMA Career

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yes, Thompson is a can and I can see a situation where they might pay James to take a dive. But if this is a legit fight Thompson should take Walker to the mat and win via G&P.

hawkeye

Guru
Thompson is 2-7 in his last 9 and has a record of 14-9. Still I can't see him lossing to Walker.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Yes, Thompson is a can and I can see a situation where they might pay James to take a dive. But if this is a legit fight Thompson should take Walker to the mat and win via G&P.

I agree 100%.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Liverlips said:

I agree 100%.

Ditto here. He's too big, strong & experienced for Walker. Plus, we don't know what kind of skill level or chin Walker has.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Dana's probably right about this, BUT I think he's jealous due to the MSM attention the Walker fight got. Remember, Dana "had the ballz" to (rightfully) trash-talk "Bimbo Lice", but then signed him (hoping for a gravy train). Dana also previously dismissed Fedor (when Fedor didn't sign with Zuffa), saying Couture could handle him
smiley8.gif
. "Sailor Mouth" White is hypocritical, and a bit unprofessional at times. I appreciate what him & the Ferittas have done for MMA, but White is an arrogant douchebag IMO.

Dana White : Herschel Walker in UFC = 1st (In Fight) Death in MMA

Edited by: DixieDestroyer