Heath Evans replaces Konrad with Miami

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Heath Evans was drafted in the 3rd round by Seattle, but was used almost exclusively as a special teamer by Mike Holmgren. Len Pasquarelli of ESPN actually wrote a nice blurb about Evans after the signing:

"Less than a week after the Dolphins released fullback Rob Konrad, the team has signed his likely replacement. Unrestricted free agent Heath Evans received a one-year contract that is believed to include the minimum base salary of $540,000.

"A four-year veteran who played his entire previous career with the Seattle Seahawks, who chose him in the third round of the 2001 draft, Evans is a player with considerable talent. His problem in Seattle, though, was that he was stuck behind standout fullback Mack Strong and never logged much playing time. That should not be a sticking point in Miami, where the versatile offense being installed under new coach Nick Saban should play to Evans' strengths.

"The former Auburn star is a tough inside runner, good lead blocker and solid receiver, and could benefit from playing in a system where the fullback is often in motion. After releasing Konrad, a former second-round pick whose career has been slowed in a series of injuries, the Dolphins quickly targeted Evans as his replacement.

"Evans, 26, has carried only 33 times for 108 yards and has 12 receptions for 87 yards. He has appeared in 61 games with just one start."

Maybe Saban will utilize Evans, though I wouldn't bet on it. Here's Caste Football's description of Evans from the Archives:

"(8/23/02) This guy knows how to run with the ball. He is 6'0" 245 lbs. and can run the 40 in an impressive 4.59. Didn't get to run the ball much with Auburn but produced very, very well when he did. In '99, his junior year, he actually led Auburn with 330 yards rushing and followed that up with 260 yards (6.2 yards per carry) as a senior in '00. Went 82 straight rushing attempts over two seasons without losing yardage.

"Was drafted in the third round of the '01 draft, but unfortunately went to the Seahawks, where he sat on the bench and finished the season with 2 carries for 11 yards. Seattle head coach Mike Holmgren seems to have a fear of developing white talent other than at quarterback and offensive line â€â€￾- when he was at Green Bay, Bill Schroeder and Travis Jervey were inserted in Holmgren's "doghouse" rather than developed, so Evans, if and when he replaces Mack Strong at fullback, will probably be strictly a blocking back rather than utilizing his athleticism and running skills."

Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, I can't believe I've never heard of Evans. I call myself an SEC fan, but I swear I never heard of him at Auburn. Thanks again Caste System!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wish him luck in Miami.I hope he gets to carry the
ball a little bit more than Konrad did.He has good
size and speed.Lets see if the Dolphins can figure out
out to make him a part of their offense.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I checked the Dolphins website and it shows Brock Forsey
still on the roster.I really hope they give him alot of
carrys in pre-season.I don't know why they signed him
to breifly play him twice and then sit him the rest of
the season.They were the worst rushing team that I have
ever seen.They should have let Brock play more and gave
him the opportunity to start!Maybe somehow him and
Heath Evans will strike up a friendship and find some
playing time together.They are both young and very
talented.