Greatest music bands and solo artists ever

Zeus

Guru
Guys, feel welcome to give your top 10 (or top whatever) of your favorite music artists/bands of all time............Here's mine

Top 5 groups :

1. The Prodigy (Keith is the heart of the group)
2. Bee Gees
3. Aerosmith
4. The Smiths
5. The Doors

Top 5 solo artists :

1. George Michael (great voice, I wish he wasn't such a gay filthy liberal)
2. Elvis the King
3. Vangelis (The King of Electronica which I love)
4. Celine Dion
5. Bing Crosby (cause he singed White Christmas hahaha)

There are too many more to mention, but I will give a honorable mention to Eminem, who disgusts me personally, be he's the biggest selling and most awarded rapper of all time and I know it hurts them much and deeply.

For the record :

A) 9 out of 10 biggest selling artists of all time are white folks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

B) 38 out of the 40 highest grossing music tours of all time belong to white artists as well, with top 25 being all white:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_grossing_tours

Not bad for people with no "soul", no "rhythm" and no "artistic creativity and talent"..........imagine how better we could have done if we had any of those huh? hehehe! By the way, the ones who usually claim all the previous silly things for our kind, are usually people who used the notes whites invented, the music instruments whites invented and used as their music basis to create their "jazz and r&b" the classical music themes...........isn't it sweet how grateful and honest some people really are? And we are the ones stealing music from other races? Weeee, sweet :panda:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Guys, feel welcome to give your top 10 (or top whatever) of your favorite music artists/bands of all time............Here's mine

Top 5 groups :

2. Bee Gees
3. Aerosmith
4. The Smiths
5. The Doors

Top 5 solo artists :

2. Elvis the King
4. Celine Dion

There are too many more to mention, but I will give a honorable mention to Eminem, who disgusts me personally, be he's the biggest selling and most awarded rapper of all time and I know it hurts them much and deeply.

For the record :

B) 38 out of the 40 highest grossing music tours of all time belong to white artists as well, with top 25 being all white:

Not bad for people with no "soul", no "rhythm" and no "artistic creativity and talent"..........imagine how better we could have done if we had any of those huh? hehehe! By the way, the ones who usually claim all the previous silly things for our kind, are usually people who used the notes whites invented, the music instruments white invented and had as their basis to create their "jazz and r&b" the classical music themes...........isn't it sweet how grateful some people really are? And we are the ones stealing music from other race? Weeee, sweet :panda:

Eminem is a wigger but he's very good at what he does. He makes the negroes look silly in a music genre they "invented."

I like a lot of groups but Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, and The Cars are my favorites.

Zeus

Guru
Eminem is a wigger but he's very good at what he does. He makes the negroes look silly in a music genre they "invented."

I like a lot of groups but Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, and The Cars are my favorites.

Mate trust me, Eminem and his "wiggerish" kind makes me literally ILL, but I can't help it but getting so much pleasure and a good laughter every time I see the lists of the biggest selling rappers of all time and I see his pale, blonde, blue eyed face on the top with some angry black faces following..........I mean it's pure comedy for various reasons. They must be mad, think about it.

Metallica actually is one of my favorite groups as well, top 10 for sure, but I picked to mention only 5...... Enter the sadman, One, Nothing else matters great tunes. As for Guns, man I love these dudes, I won't even lie I love Slash too even though he's kinda overrated skills wise.

Whiteathlete are you aware of Yngwie Malmsteen? He's in my top 5 players of all time next to Page, Van Halen, Blackmore and Duane Allman.........not to sound "crazy" but man I think he's the greatest ever, not trying to turn this into nationality again, but if this dude was an American or British (especially black) he would now be considered the greatest of all time. Check here man, he's A GOD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvKqxNea9iA

Seriously no man has the right to be so divine in what he does, his technical skills are UNMATCHED, hands down............Who said that I hate North Europeans again? lol

1:59 of the video, when he starts playing classical theme after his solo........DAMN, every time I hear it I get chills on my body!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Mate trust me, Eminem and his "wiggerish" kind makes me literally ILL, but I can't help it but getting so much pleasure and a good laughter every time I see the lists of the biggest selling rappers of all time and I see his pale, blonde, blue eyed face on the top with some angry black faces following..........I mean it's pure comedy for various reasons. They must be mad, think about it.

Metallica actually is one of my favorite groups as well, top 10 for sure, but I picked to mention only 5...... Enter the sadman, One, Nothing else matters great tunes. As for Guns, man I love these dudes, I won't even lie I love Slash too even though he's kinda overrated skills wise.

Whiteathlete are you aware of Yngwie Malmsteen? He's in my top 5 players of all time next to Page, Van Halen, Blackmore and Duane Allman.........not to sound "crazy" but man I think he's the greatest ever, not trying to turn this into nationality again, but if this dude was an American or British (especially black) he would now be considered the greatest of all time. Check here man, he's A GOD:

Seriously no man has the right to be so divine in what he does, his technical skills are UNMATCHED, hands down............Who said that I hate North Europeans again? lol

1:59 of the video, when he starts playing classical theme after his solo........DAMN, every time I hear it I get chills on my body!

No, I don't know who Malsteen is. I like quite a few of the older groups as well such as Jefferson Starship. Listen to Jefferson Starship song name Miracles on Youtube. That song brings me back in time, seriously. Incredible!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Bands:

Uriah Heep
Cream
Moody Blues
The Beatles
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Who
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Kansas
Eagles
Aerosmith

Individual singers:

John Denver
Enya
Glen Campbell
Rod Stewart
Sarah McLaughlin
Jim Croce
Cat Stevens
Tom Jones
Gordon Lightfoot
Karen Carpenter

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Miracles has a good grove about it.

Malmsteen is great and more well known among rock fans, but for sheer skill, the late Shawn Lane was (and imho) still is the man. However, I think trying to determine who the "best" guitarist is is an impossible task because of the subjectivity of it all and because everybody plays differently.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
IMO, it's hard to narrow down the best bands...Beatles, (vintage) Aerosmith, Led Zep, Sabbath, Everly Brothers, the Who, Eagles and the Doors are amongst the best. Some of my favorites (secular) rock bands are (classic) Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Pantera and GnR (circa 87). Nowadays, I pretty much listen to Southern Gospel and Bluegrass...in which case my faves are the Statesmen Quartet, Florida Boys, The Hinsons, Flatt and Scruggs and Quicksilver.

As for best singers (voices), IMO...

1) Elvis
2) Kenny Hinson
3) Sinatra
4) Karen Carpenter
5) Roy Orbison

***My favorite singers include Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Kitty Wells, Bruce D1ckinson, Ronnie James Dio, Billy Todd, Glen Allred, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, George Jones and Unknown Hinson :wink:.

P.S. - Best guitar pickers (IMO) = Clapton, Beck, Page, Yngwie, Allman, Satriani, Darrell Abbott, Jerry Reed, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Iommi and Chet Atkins. Best bass pickers IMO include Stuart Hamm, John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Rex Brown, Flea and Billy Sheehan.

Last edited:

Deus Vult

Mentor
Mate trust me, Eminem and his "wiggerish" kind makes me literally ILL, but I can't help it but getting so much pleasure and a good laughter every time I see the lists of the biggest selling rappers of all time and I see his pale, blonde, blue eyed face on the top...

... As for Guns, man I love these dudes, I won't even lie I love Slash too even though he's kinda overrated skills wise.

Seriously no man has the right to be so divine in what he does, his technical skills are UNMATCHED...

Rap/Hip-Hop is the musical/moral/cultural/intellectual equivalent of flossing one's ass-crack with a wire brush. So, I take no pleasure in any white brother "excelling" at this type of stupidity. Wiggerism, indeed, is a sad and unfortunate pox coerced upon the lesser lights of our kind. The wigger, IMHO, is every bit as reprehensible as the mudshark.

On a lighter note, I'm with you on a couple points, Zeus... "Slash" is popularly overrated, skill-wise; and Yngwie Johann Malmsteen IS The Maestro!! I would caution, however, on emphasizing Yngwie's technical chops as it appears to de-emphasize his pure musical genius.

As Colonel Reb said, rating musicians (or vocalists) is always part subjective. Yet in terms of skill and total musicality, Slash is not in the same universe as Malmsteen, Vai, Satch, Rhoads, Van Halen, Blackmore, Jan Akkermann, George Lynch, Paul Gilbert, Steve Morse, Schenker, Petrucci, Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, and many other elite players. If guitarists were QB's, Malmsteen, Via, Rhoads, et al would be Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and John Elway, et al; whereas Slash would be more comparable to the 3rd string QB at Mississippi State -- a good player, but one who is not comparable to the elite in his craft.

5. Dream Theater
4. Scorpions
3. classic Van Halen (1978-1981)
2. Queensryche
1. Iron Maiden

Deus Vult

Mentor
... Best bass pickers IMO include Stuart Hamm, John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Rex Brown, Flea and Billy Sheehan.

DD, this old bass player is grinnin' ear-to-ear! It is so uncommon to happen across someone who knows a thing or two about bass guitar and the players who excel. Are you (or were you) a bassist?

P.S. I'd sure throw Chris Squire onto that short list... :icon_smile:

Highlander

Mentor
IMO, it's hard to narrow down the best bands...Beatles, (vintage) Aerosmith, Led Zep, Sabbath, Everly Brothers, the Who, Eagles and the Doors are amongst the best. Some of my favorites (secular) rock bands are (classic) Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Pantera and GnR (circa 87). Nowadays, I pretty much listen to Southern Gospel and Bluegrass...in which case my faves are the Statesmen Quartet, Florida Boys, The Hinsons, Flatt and Scruggs and Quicksilver.

As for best singers (voices), IMO...

1) Elvis
2) Kenny Hinson
3) Sinatra
4) Karen Carpenter
5) Roy Orbison

***My favorite singers include Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Kitty Wells, Bruce D1ckinson, Ronnie James Dio, Billy Todd, Glen Allred, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, George Jones and Unknown Hinson :wink:.

P.S. - Best guitar pickers (IMO) = Clapton, Beck, Page, Yngwie, Allman, Satriani, Darrell Abbott, Jerry Reed, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Iommi and Chet Atkins. Best bass pickers IMO include Stuart Hamm, John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Rex Brown, Flea and Billy Sheehan.
Nice selection, DD. I like various genres of music, but for rock/metal I'm with you on the vintage Aerosmith...don't care at all for the post-heroin-addicted Aerosmith:

Vintage Aerosmith "Kings and Queens":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCv80Ac3ls&feature=related

and also the classic Van Halen...don't care for the Sammy Haggar era, although Sammy's solo stuff from the late 70's/early 80's is very good. The Van Halen bro's ego's are unbearable.

Iron Maiden is the best overall metal band with exemplar and energetic vocalist Bruce D1ckinson leading the way along with his superlative cast of musicians. A "thinking mans" band with emotional resonance.

Most people know about or only focus on their classic works (pre-1985), but their albums over the past ten years have been stellar, including these perfectly melodic heavy metal gems replete with said emotional resonance:

"Paschendale":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20-fm_WNew

"Brighter Than a Thousand Suns":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXiSNWImhw0

"Starblind":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT53Qbiw5vs

Megadeth is another one I'm a big fan of. Dave Mustaine is a very talented, intelligent, and articulate artist who's been very aware of the NWO and railing against them for a few decades now.

Metallica's stuff from the 80's is another one. Hard to beat that era of them.

And for a particular "moment" in time, Rush in 1981 was unparalleled:
"Exit Stage Left" 1981, HD and Remastered, "Moving Pictures" Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKn_umW2zcY&feature=related

I agree with ColReb that determining who the "best" guitarist is is a subjective quest at best. My personal favorite is Alex Lifeson.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
DD, this old bass player is grinnin' ear-to-ear! It is so uncommon to happen across someone who knows a thing or two about bass guitar and the players who excel. Are you (or were you) a bassist?

P.S. I'd sure throw Chris Squire onto that short list... :icon_smile:

DV, Nah, I tried to play guitar (via lessons) when I was 10, but couldn't coordinate my pickin' w/ manuevering on the fret board. :eek: I like to think I've a good ear for music...especially guitar/bass players. I've been told I can sing fairly well (baritone and bass), and do so in church choir.

BTW, my favorite bass player is Steve Harris of Maiden. I've always enjoyed his "trottin", rythmn bass style.

Highlander, thanks partner. While I don't listen to much secular music these days, I've (naturally) enjoyed a wide array of musical genres...in particular classic rock, southern rock, hard rock, classic metal, Christian rock (circa late 70s/early 80s), thrash metal, sludge metal, traditional bluegrass, classic C&W and vintage Southern Gospel. As a tyke, I cut my teeth on C&W and Southern Gospel), and 'grew' into hard rock and metal in late elementary school and junior high. Metal was a mainstay on my walkman before football and basketball games. However, as I've aged...I've gained more appreciation for the classics....in all the above genres. :)

Last edited:

Deus Vult

Mentor
I like to think I've a good ear for music...especially guitar/bass players...
BTW, my favorite bass player is Steve Harris of Maiden. I've always enjoyed his "trottin", rythmn bass style. :)

It's a shame, in this inverted Orwellian world, that a true, high-calibre artist like Steve Harris goes virtually unrecognized outside hard rock circles. In rock, he is a writer, composer, arranger -- an artist -- without peer.

Kaptain

Master

The DWF response to greatest guitarist is almost always "Jimmy Hendrix". I recently challenged someone to find one youtube video of Hendrix even coming close to the guy I posted below. He failed miserably. This guy started playing banjo, guitar, and other instruments at 14 and by 15 he had won national and world competitions.

[video=youtube;lxDQQDF6j0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDQQDF6j0Y[/video]

Westside

Hall of Famer

Top 5 groups :

2. Bee Gees
3. Aerosmith
4. The Smiths
5. The Doors

Top 5 solo artists :

2. Elvis the King
4. Celine Dion

For the record :

Not bad for people with no "soul", no "rhythm" and no "artistic creativity and talent"..........imagine how better we could have done if we had any of those huh? hehehe! By the way, the ones who usually claim all the previous silly things for our kind, are usually people who used the notes whites invented, the music instruments whites invented and used as their music basis to create their "jazz and r&b" the classical music themes...........isn't it sweet how grateful and honest some people really are? And we are the ones stealing music from other races? Weeee, sweet :panda:
Zeus you back yet? LOL. Anyways, that group "Prodigy" is that the same group who sung the 2 inspirational classics "Slap Your Bitch Up" and the awe inspiring "Fire Starta" ? LOL. Anyways I like all types of tunes. I was hooked for a week on both of these tunes back in the very late 90s.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It's a shame, in this inverted Orwellian world, that a true, high-calibre artist like Steve Harris goes virtually unrecognized outside hard rock circles. In rock, he is a writer, composer, arranger -- an artist -- without peer.

Yessir, Steve is a tremendous lyricist and music writer. He penned the majority of IM's early songs. His creative lyrics always had solid substance (referencing literature & lore, etc.)...versus the standard metal fare of random bloodshed, partying and f0rnication. :icon_rolleyes: I've always felt Harris is the heart of Maiden. BTW, his daughter Lauren is a fairly talented (rock & metal) singer, and a pretty young lady.

ironmaiden_fathervsdaughter.jpg

***P.S. - Steve's solo LP "British Lion" is due out on 9/24...

http://www.steveharrisbritishlion.com/

Kaptain
, ol' Roy Clark is a world class picker and 1 of the best in C&W history. I remember watching Roy sing, pick and co-host "Hee Haw" as a kid. :smiley: He and Buck Owens are C&W legends....whom the modern pop "country" (fake, plastic) stars cannot touch. As for Jimi Hendrix, I won't take the DWF route and claim he was the best, but I'd say he is in the top 50 overall. In my pre-awakened days, I must admit I enjoyed his "Band of Gypsies" & "Nine to the Universe" albums. :blush:

Last edited: