Goofy white guys

Bart

Hall of Famer
I was listening to the afternoon sports broadcast from Chicago yesterday and this afternoon.Just a couple things I noticed that wouldn't be obvious to the casual fan. When they were trying to rermember the names of two players on aMichigan football team many years ago, McNeil who was stumped, askedTiny if they were white guys.He answered no, and said they were African Americans.Why didn't he just sayno, they were black guys?Why do blacks always have to be elevated higher in status by using loftier words, and expressions? Is it demeaning for them to be called black guys? Are informal, common words reserved for whites only now?

Then they discussed baseball. Would anyone go to a game specifically to watch a pitcher?Would they pay to see Clemens, or Maddux, orRandy Johnson for example?McNeil saidhe could understand why people would pay to see Johnsonpitch, because he was so oddly tall, and goofy looking.
smiley13.gif
Reminds me of Padraig Harrington who won the last two Briitish Opens, and was described as having a goofy smile. The word goofy is an adjective often used for whites, but I can't think of a time it has been used for blacks.

McNeil went on to saythat the very first baseball game his father took him to see set the standard for him and forty years later it has not been surpassed. What was he referring to? He watched Ferguson Jenkins pitch against Bob Gibson, what could be better? And the frosting on the cake? His hero Billy Williams (of course) hit a home run to win the game.
smiley36.gif
Wehear this stuff all day, every day, on the airwaves.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Pretty much everyone in sports radiois too much of a pansy to refer to blacks as blacks, unless they have to say it 3 or 4 times or more in close proximity. I make it a point to never refer to them by the PC, inaccurate title, even when I am teaching sociology.