Georges St. Pierre

SteveB

Mentor
I have to admit that reading the UFC threads have gotten me interested in UFC and MMA. Now I find myself flicking through the Spike TV schedule to see when the next UFC Live program is on or the Fox Sports channels to see when the next Pride program is on.

I was watching the Spike UFC fights last night and Georges St. Pierre was fighting Frank Trigg then they showed last years fight against Matt Hughes. The guy is very exciting to watch. He totally dominated Trigg and was doing very well against Hughes until Hughes got him in an armbar. He is very fast, a good striker, and very strong on the ground.

I really enjoy watching the Jiu-Jitsu fighters like St. Pierre and Diaz because they seem to have more variety to their game.

White_Savage

Mentor
St. Pierre is an awesome fighter yes.

Unfortunately for all welter-weights, there's a giant roadblock named Matt Hughes in their way. I don't see anyone taking the belt until Hughes A. retires or B. just gets too damn old for this.Edited by: White_Savage

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Did you see the hype-show on Spike last night? It featured bios and interviews of the fighters in the upcoming PPV; Hughes, Franklin, Quarry, and Riggs.

Dana White is making a big deal out of Riggs being bigger and stronger than Hughes. "Hughes has never fought someone stronger than him, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it." Riggs is talking major doo-doo. Hughes is responding somewhat but is still mostly low-key, the "we'll see what happens" attitude. He is breaking things down by techniques, whereas Riggs seems to think (and say)he is going KO Hughes early.
smiley36.gif

Although I hope for Matt's continued success, Riggs has to get some respect - he used to weigh over 300 lbs! and now fights as a rock-solid welterweight. Very inspiring.
smiley32.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Yeah. I think the point of that show was "We're not just throwing these guys in there because we can't find anyone else, really...."

Though I do have a higher opinion of Quarry's chances now.

Riggs stronger than Hughes? I just don't know. Bigger doesn't nessecarily equal stronger.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Though I do have a higher opinion of Quarry's chances now.

What did you see that makes you think his odds are better than you first thought?

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun:
Looked like from his fight clips he's got more skill, as well as power, than I thought.