Gang Signs

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Only in America -- a league of "professional athletes" that has to be monitored for gang signs on the field.

NFL to review tape for evidence of on-field gang signs

The NFL has hired experts to study game footage to determine whether players are displaying street-gang hand signals as part of their on-field celebrations, the Los Angeles Times reports.

"There have been some suspected things we've seen," said Milt Ahlerich, the league's vice president of security, according to the Times' report. "When we see it, we quietly jump on it immediately, directly with the team and the player or employee involved to cease and desist. Period."

Gang signs in pro sports gained a higher profile during the NBA playoffs, when Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce was fined $25,000 for making "menacing gestures" toward the Atlanta Hawks' bench during a game.

Pierce was contrite at the time, saying in a statement "I 100 percent do not in any way promote gang violence or anything close to it. I am sorry if it was misinterpreted that way."

"We were always suspicious that [gang-related hand signals] might be happening," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, according to the report. "But the Paul Pierce thing is what brought it to light. When he was fined ... that's when we said we need to take a look at it and see if we need to be aware of it."

Ahlerich said he does not believe the problem is widespread, but added that the league has spoken to some players -- whom he declined to identify -- about their use of hand signals, according to the report.

First-year players were counseled on gangs at the league's recent rookie symposium, and a video on the dangers of gangs was required viewing for every player in the NFL last year, according to the report.

But differentiating between a gang sign and something less menacing can involve some guesswork, according to at least one player.

"Guys come from all over the country, and who knows what they're really doing?" Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Dennis Northcutt said, according to the Times' report. "People have got signs for their kids, signs for their fraternities. How do you differentiate who's really throwing up gang signs?

"This is a gang sign," he added, touching his index finger to his thumb to form a squished version of the hand sign for OK. "But at the same time, it's a sign for a personnel group."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3491580

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I'm actually shocked that this "supposed" idiotic behavoir isnt being promoted, mimmicked, commercialized, adored, worshiped, and praised....instead of "investigated." Havent these NFL fat-cat morons ever seen a rap video? BET?

A joke of an investigation, for a joke of a league, for a joke of a country. Every aspect of race relations in this country (and most of the world) is just plain wrong.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Ireally like this blog. Since the Political Cesspool has been backit has acquired a sharper edge. [url]http://www.thepoliticalcesspool.org/jamesedwards/2008/07/17/ whats-the-difference-between-the-nfl-and-the-nhl/ [/url]
<H2>What's the difference between the NFL and the NHL?</H2>
<DIV =post-entry>

Well, for one, the players in the National Football League are predominantly black, while the players in the National Hockey League are nearly all white. So that's one difference I can think of. Let me see if I can think of any more...

Oh, yeah - I just remembered another difference. I knew it would come to me. The overwhelmingly white NHL doesn't have to hire gang experts to scrutinize game tapes to see if their players are throwing gang signs. The overwhelmingly black NFL does.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What a bunch of morons these players are trying to look tough in football games. Thats how it always is with blacks, doesnt matter if they win or lose games as long as they look good and tough.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Yeah, they'll look really tough fifteen years from now after their career went south, they misspent all their money and now they're begging me for change outside of Starbucks.Edited by: GiovaniMarcon

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I hear the Giants are accusing the Patriots of trying to steal their gang signs.

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
I hear the Giants are accusing the Patriots of trying to steal their gang signs.

Could be some truth to that.They Patriots were clueless in the gang sign department. They picked up Randy Moss and now they are experts.