Felon Ball

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From the American Spectator:

Felon Ball

Some excerpts:

The NFL is more than giving the NBA a run for its money in the hoodlum department. Reading newspaper stories of another arrest at another nightclub, it becomes difficult to tell the players and the infractions apart without a lineup. Speaking of lineups, the Cincinnati Bengals tallied seven players in legal trouble during the 2006 season, for charges ranging from spousal abuse to drug, gun and burglary charges. Go Cats!

Both the NBA and NFL are almost unwatchable, at least for me -- though I sometimes wonder if I am alone in this -- with all of the buffoonery and hip-hop posturing and carrying on. It reminds you that you watch sports not just for the excitement of the competition or to learn the outcome, but to be inspired. Sport's once-uplifting imagery is more and more challenged by the crass garbage that surrounds it, whether it is another preening, tattooed, superstar felon or the compulsive noise and flashing lights that seem to accompany every big NFL and NBA game.

Some years ago, my consumption of sports began to dwindle as it dawned on me that I felt repulsed by so many of the players. My preferred sport remains baseball, which I grew up with and which happens to have much less of a problem with violent crime...Baseball draws from a pool of talent less populated by players with disturbed backgrounds.

The writer also observes that Ricky Williams is suspended for smoking pot but the NFL lets players convicted of assault, drug trafficking and so on remain in the league.

I'll be surprised it the author isn't soon lambasted as a racist for writing this article.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah Shogun, that article is too transparent. I'm glad the writer said what he said, but he knew he'd have to leave the racial terms out of it to stand any chance of keeping his job. A lot of people see it that way, but few have the guts to come out and say it. The overbearing nature of the PC world we live in makes it difficult for people to say the truth. That means it is more important than ever to stand up and make the truth known, otherwise we just make things worse on those who will be around in the future.