fedor vs lindland saturday

patriot

Guru
this is the bodog pay-per-view. I expect fedor to finish him in round 2. the are both good wrestlers however Lindland is out of his element fighting the much bigger guy in fedor. also fedor brother alex takes on eric pele.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Should be a good fight. Lindland is a gamer and should make Fedor work for it.

I'll be watching the PPV tonight. I'll update after the fights.

Triad

Mentor
Spoiler alert - they actually fought this morning our time. Those that care can see how the Emelianenko brothers did on sherdog's main page.

freedom1

Mentor
Fedor made quick work of Lindland, arm barred him in a little over 2 minutes.

Poacher

Mentor
Fedor is a friggin' beast. Subbing a world class grappler like Lindland so quickly is impressive weight difference or no weight difference. I don't know how many people on the planet (excluding the freakishly big) could take Fedor in unarmed combat right now. He is in such a strong place mentally that he seems unassailable.

Triad

Mentor
I think Lindland bulked up to 212 pounds for the fight (he usually fights at 185) and Fedor was his usual 233.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The fight was actually pretty good and competitive enough to make you say, "Damn!"

Lindland went straight after Fedor at the bell and hit him with a hard left that cut Fedor's eyebrow and upper eye wide open. Fedor stepped back wiping the blood away and Lindland went after him and got under hooks. Lindland went to throw Fedor Greco-Roman style but Fedor actually held on to the top rope a couple times. When the ref snapped his hand off, Fedor ended up rolling with the takedown and landed on top of Lindland. They grappled for a moment with Fedor going for an ankle lock that Lindland escaped. After more maneuvering, Fedor transitioned into the arm bar that eventually forced Lindland to tap.

In the post-fight interview, Lindland complained that Fedor held onto the ropes and prevented the takedown, so that Fedor landed on top instead of Lindland. He wants a rematch. They asked him if he wanted to come back to Bodog, and Lindland said, "Hell yeah I want come back to Bodog! I want to come back here and beat somebody's ass, I'm embarrassed!"
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks Shogun. Lindland is pretty much a legend in his neck of the woods and he just got beat by what is becoming a larger than life figure. Chuck Norris said this week that Fedor was "the toughest man in the world".

Triad

Mentor
Lindland was impressive in defeat. Fedor is an icon and a MMA beast. Yet, Lindland was able to cut him in the fight's first exchange and be in position to slam Fedor except for the ropes. Fedor hooked the ropes several times to avoid the slam and was able to grab the ropes and spin on top when Lindland did get him off the ground. I don't blame him I would have grabbed the ropes also if the ref didn't break it. Entertaining fight with both men earning additional respect.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Those of you that watched the fight, did you notice all the marks or bruises on Fedor's chest and stomach? I couldn't tell if he was bruised or if they were from some type of patch or what. His upper abdomen had at least six bruises across the top in a semi-circle, and his upper chest was red and appeared bruised as well. This was before the fight, not after.

JD074

Master
I'm disappointed that Fedor grabbed the ropes. I don't know what the rules are, but I wish the ref stood them up after Fedor reversed the takedown. But it's doubtful that Lindland would've stopped him even if he finished that takedown. Fedor would've defended against the ground and pound and any submissions, and eventually pop back up, reverse, or submit Lindland from his back. But that's just speculation. I would have loved to see this fight last longer. Oh well.

Lindland landed a great left and seemed very strong against the bigger man. And a sweet arm bar from Fedor, as well. Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There are gifs floating around that show Lindland grabbing the ropes when he was driving Fedor into the corner, and hitting Fedor in the back of the head with his forearm. The one of Lindland using the rope for leverage is the most telling. He had one arm around Fedor and was driving with his left shoulder, while his right hand grabbed a lower rope and made a pulling motion.

Triad

Mentor
White Shogun said:
There are gifs floating around that show Lindland grabbing the ropes when he was driving Fedor into the corner, and hitting Fedor in the back of the head with his forearm.
The reason the gif's are floating around is if you watch the fight Lidland's hand was on the rope for a fraction of a second.

The Actual Fight

After rewatching the fight again. It's even worse. Fedor was grabbing the ropes with his arm and even wrapping his leg in the ropes to avoid the slam. When ML finally got Fedor in the air, Fedor used the ropes to end up on top. So using the ropes, Fedor as able to end up in a mounted position on the ground and eventually get the sub. As opposed to ML being on top of a bloody Fedor. It's only speculation if the result would have been different.

So in Lindland's 2 previous fights he moved up in weight to fight Rampage Jackson and then Fedor. Both losses with a little controversy. Regardless, he is one bad 185 pounder.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Thank you for the link Triad.

ML went straight after Fedor because there wasn't anything else he could do. Anyone that has had any success at all against Fedor earned it by being agressive and catching him off guard.

Fedor initially had 1 elbow over the ropes as he was being forced against the ropes by ML. Later during the takedown attempt Fedor grabbed at the ropes as he had lost footing. That seems like instinct to me.

On the ground that fight didn't even look close. ML was guarding for dear life. What a mismatch. Fedor actually appeared angry at ML for his audacity and appeared to really crank that armbar to teach him a lesson.

Bottom line is ML got smoked. He really should fight guys more his size.

My thoughts anyway...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Triad, thanks for the link partner!
smiley1.gif
Looks like "The Law" should've tried to keep the fight standing a while longer, as Fedor's superior in submissions. The Eric Pele vs. Aleksander E. fight wasn't too bad for SHWs either. I'm glad Aleks won, and think Pele should cut another 25-35 lbs & fight around 250-260 max.

guest301

Hall of Famer
You rock Triad! Thanks for the link.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
I read somewhere that Lindland got his arm cranked pretty bad by Fedor.

Lindland said in the post-fight interview that his arm snapped, crackled and popped when Fedor slapped on the arm bar, and that he'd never had that happen before. He said he was going to have 'take a look at it.'