Fedor/UFC Deal Falls Short

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It appears Fedor & his (greedy) Manager/agent Finkelchtein couldn't reach a deal with UFC (Dana White, inc.). I don't agree that it's all Fedor's fault, but I think he gives his agent too much pull. This is unfortunate for MMA fans, because we'd get to see the dream match-up between The Russian Cyborg & the Nordic Monster, Brock Lesnar.
smiley5.gif

"One Man to Blame for Fedor/UFC Breakdown"

Dana White on Fedor Deal - "We Tried Everything!"

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Damn this sucks! What do they mean co-promote? That M-1 would put up half the money only as far as advertising/ marketing, but expect a huge payback? I don't know if it is like giving half of UFC to this greedy Finkelchtein, but it still would have been an unfair deal for the UFC and made them look weak.

I'm gravely disappointed. This is one UFC payperview I would have shelled out the money for even with my current financial constraints.
smiley103.gif

Bear Backer

Mentor
Very unfortunate, but I never expected it to happen. Asking UFC to co-promote with M-1 is obviously not going to be smart business, but neither would it be for M-1 just to give over Fedor to UFC either.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Fedor needs to get it together. He's going to lose his #1 exalted status if he never signs with the UFC. Maybe his fans care more about his legend status than he does, he may start to lose some of those fans. The UFC has bent over backward for this guy while at the same time trying to protect the business. It's up to Fedor.

Patriot09

Fedor Signs with Strikeforce

Monday, August 03, 2009
by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Fedor Emelianenko has signed a multi-fight agreement that will see the world's No. 1-ranked heavyweight compete for Strikeforce, the promotion announced Monday.

Emelianenko, who became a free agent after Affliction Entertainment canceled its Aug. 1 event two weeks ago, will make his debut on Showtime under a co-promoted Strikeforce/M-1 Global production this fall. Emelianenko was to have faced Josh Barnett at Affliction "Trilogy"Â￾ on Aug. 1, but Barnett failed a pre-fight test for anabolic steroids and was refused licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.

Emelianenko, along with his promoters and management team M-1 Global, negotiated with the UFC last week, but could not come to an agreement over co-promotion.

"Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world," said Emelianenko in a press release. "I am prepared to fight any of them."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com last week that he plans to match the stoic Russian against the likes of Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and the promotion's heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem.

"I feel pretty confident that we could give him four or five opponents that would make sense for him,"Â￾ Coker told Sherdog.com in an exclusive video interview.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I like it.

I like the fact that Fedor does what he wants, the unconventional. I suppose he may be led around the nose by Finkelstein or whatever his name is, but I still rather like the fact the guy doesn't just sign on the dotted line for whoever has the biggest paycheck.

Last great act of defiance.

Bear Backer

Mentor
I would prefer Fedor in UFC over Strikeforce. IMO UFC is a definite notch above Strikeforce, but Strikeforce has some pretty good fighters as well. Competition between companies is always good. The UFC really does need a rival.

guest301

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I like it.

I like the fact that Fedor does what he wants, the unconventional. I suppose he may be led around the nose by Finkelstein or whatever his name is, but I still rather like the fact the guy doesn't just sign on the dotted line for whoever has the biggest paycheck.

Last great act of defiance.

The best fighters are in the UFC and that's where Fedor should be. The UFC bent over backwards to sign this guy and offered concessions that no other fighter has ever gotten but he still signs elsewhere. Lesnar/Fedor would have been the biggest fight in MMA history,with crazy hype and buzz about two bad ass white MEN and we may never see it now. It's his life and he has a right to do what he wants to do but right now I think it's a bad career move.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I agree Guest, I wouldn't be surprised if people start to claim Fedor ducked Brock..

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Fedor should tear through the Strikeforce competition. In fact, I'd like to see him stomp a mudhole in "The Grim" Rogers @$$. The UFC has better fighters, but Fedor has chosen to go his own route. I'm sure many will indeed claim he ducked Lesnar...but I doubt that's the case.

guest301

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
I agree Guest, I wouldn't be surprised if people start to claim Fedor ducked Brock..

I have had similar thoughts. I don't think that about Fedor but plenty of people will.

Bear Backer

Mentor
celticdb15 said:

I am starting to think there is perhaps a glimmer of truth in it. It seems like a clear cut case of Fedor's slimy little Yehudi manager wanting everything and caring more about himself than Fedor. No doubt he has been in his ear telling him lies and trying to persuade him to do what is best for Finkelstein. It is good business for Finkelstein but not for Fedor. I don't believe Fedor would intentionally duck Lesnar, thinking he couldn't beat him, but his slimy little manager probably has him thinking he doesn't need to fight him to secure his legacy as the greatest ever.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Do we really know all the details of the offer the UFC gave to Fedor? It talked about millions of dollars, but were there any clauses about what happens if he lost one fight? Were the fights guaranteed, win or lose? What about his image and his likeness? Would he sign away the rights to his own name and face like so many other UFC fighters have done?

Fedor has been undefeated for six years; he has always comported himself well. He has never shown a moment of baseness or low class behavior. He is respectful to his opponents before and after the fight. He still lives in the same town and drives the same car, a car which was given to him by the townspeople. He fights in combat Sambo and takes pride in representing himself and his people in their national sport.

On the other hand, the UFC cuts fighters without excuse. They have admitted reaching out to the 'urban' and Latino markets. They purposely ensure that almost every card will have a black or Latino fighter; they deliberately match those fighters with cans in order to notch up wins and impress the 'fans.' If a fighter makes the wrong comment in public, they are blackballed and shuffled to the undercard, or worse yet, not given any fights at all.

I suppose I may be beating a dead horse, as others have stated their opinions and indeed, some have some valid points. But as for me, I will choose to support Fedor. I have not been given a reason not to.