Ever see World Without End?

Sean

Mentor
World Without End is one of the favorite movies of my dad and I. It's a science fiction movie from 1956.

The movie centers around 4 astronauts who return to earth to find that they have encountered a time displacement in space. It is centuries in the future, and the earth has been destroyed by nuclear war. They find the surface is home to violent mutants, while the "normal" humans live underground. Being underground, with no sun for all those centuries, has "drained all the courage out of these people", to quote from the movie.

Anyway, the astronauts are portrayed as very masculine, intelligent, strong, and very aware of the situation of the normal humans (something that the humans won't admit to). It becomes their mission to lead the humans back to the surface to defeat the mutants and save the human race from extinction.

I found this movie, despite it's age, to be very refreshing. Not one, but four white heroes shown in a positive light. Even though this movie is over 50 years old, it's still a very entertaining tale of four white heores, trying to give courage back to a group that is terrified of leaving their comforts to get back what is rightfully theirs.