Evaluation tips

aberger

This is a question for future NFLers. Meaning youngsters, I am new to coaching and want to do evaluations for my players. Any tips?

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
This is a question for future NFLers. Meaning youngsters, I am new to coaching and want to do evaluations for my players. Any tips?

At Caste Football, whenever a newbie creates a new thread with their first post…they always seem to get banned shortly thereafter.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Three pronged argument of the credentials of a player are production, film/ playing style and measurables. Other things to consider are intelligence, work ethic, coachability, intangibles etc.

For measurables' evaluations: figure out the "eye test" measurables the NFL looks for at RB. If your tailback doesn't run sub 4.65 than it can send up a red flag although there are exceptions like, Ryan Torain, Arian Foster (they time almost exactly the eye test time) and LeGarrette Blount is a little slower at 4.7. Mike Hart who was moderately successful for the Colts last year ran a 4.69 at the NFL combine at only 5'9 about 200 lbs. Ahmad Bradshaw runs a 4.6 flat.

If you want a good glimpse of power look at highlights of Peyton Hillis (speaking of Hillis- he ran a 4.58) Owen Schmidt, Michael Bush or Brandon Jacobs. A good glimpse of freakish agility is of course Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Danny Woodhead, Justin Beaver etc. or you could look at a high school highlight tape such as Nile Knapp, Noel Devine, Eric Gerber or John Howell.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
At Caste Football, whenever a newbie creates a new thread with their first post…they always seem to get banned shortly thereafter.

That does indeed seem to be the case actually.

Somethiing gives me the feeling though (from the type of first post) that this guy not a troll and is really a coach looking for tips. Unlike that recent Ahmet clown.