ESPN Outside the Lines

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
did anyone see the OTL on Monday night? the first half was about Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, but the second half of the show dealt with the white American basketball player and his future place in the game. i missed it, but i heard a little about it and was wondering what message it related.

the one interesting fact that i was told about was that something like only 8% of the NBA are white American born players.

bigunreal

Mentor
That was a very unusual show, especially for ESPN. All those who commented on the lack of white players in the NBA made good points, but stopped short of even hinting that anyone is disciminating against them. The most laughable participant was former NBA player turned announcer Tim Legler. This guy is the basketball version of Merrill Hoge; a white guy trying desperately to be black. Like Hoge, who related the story of the Steeler coach who told him he was the wrong color to be a running back, but spends all his on-air time blatantly favoring blacks, Legler told the audience about the hard times he faced in the CBA, but he spends all his on-air time blatantly favoring blacks as well. He also apes Hoge's annoying attempt to "sound black." The best commentators, as usual, were the two black guys who were on at the end of the program. They made a lot of good points, saying things that all the wimpy white jocks-sniffers are afraid to say. All in all, a very worthwhile program.