Elections-more of the same, or worse?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I figured I'd start a thread for the venting after the elections are over. Will we get more of the same hypocrisy and spinelessness from the GOP, or a new, more virulent strain of liberalism from the Jack-asses?

Bunnyman

Guru
I live in Va. and voted for a conservative libertarian. Funny thing is, both Allen and Webb at one time were against affirmative action. Now they are fighting over who supports it more.

Bush's twin strategy of open borders and unpopular war thousands of miles away has brought the GOP to likely defeat, the pundits say. It was the GOP House that stopped amnesty this year. If the Dems win the House, Bush will bring it right back in January. That's why Bush looks happy.

Triad

Mentor
I hope the Dems get control of at least one House.

Our government can do less harm if the power is split. They just argue and don't accomplish anything (which is a good thing).Our country's decline hasn't slowed any with 6 years of total Republican control of two branches of gov't.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I see former Tennessee Vol and Redskin Heath Shuler has won a house seat as a "conservative" Democrat in North Carolina.

Triad

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
I see former Tennessee Vol and Redskin Heath Shuler has won a house seat as a "conservative" Democrat in North Carolina.

Hopefully, this stint in Washington will be more successful than his last.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't think a Dem win will be as much of a deadlock as everyone thinks.

We'll see an amnesty bill passed before Bush leaves the White House.

We'll remain in Iraq.

We'll see expansion of social health care programs like the prescription drug program.

We'll see tighter federal control over local schools.

The neo-con globalist agenda won't be slowed any because Dems control Congress, and the domestic social agenda is going to take a decided turn to the left, which is where Bush stands on those issues.

Worst of both worlds, IMO.

According to web reports the Dems have already won enough to take the House. The GOP lost 3 seats in Indiana, of all places. Bush, his war, plus the usual Republican scandals did it.

George Allen is leading Jim Webb by only 1800 votes with 99.10% counted. It will mean a recount. Webb was a disappointment. Allen did come out against amnesty, but not as hard as he should have. Webb just repeated the "border security" mantra and deserves to lose if he comes up short.

Here in Tennessee, Corker leads by 50,000 plus with 85% counted. Shoild be enough to hold on. Corker wasn't a very strong candidate, a typical Republican businessman type. He promised to be strong on immigration, Frist was as bad as they come. Ford was a Great Hope of the Establishment. He positioned himself as a conservative-leaning Democrat, but was still too liberal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Republican challenger Lynn Swann lost by 20 points to incumbent governor Ed Rendell in Pennsylvania. I agree with those who say gridlock is the best result we can get out of this election (the lesser of the possible evils), which is what appears to be happening. There's going to be a large Democrat majority in the House and probably a small one in the Senate.

Webb is now 1800 votes ahead of Allen. Depending on Missouri, the Democrats may well have both houses. I believe Bush actually wanted this, so as to ram through amnesty. The only hope is that there will be more attention to it next year than there was last Spring.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What a messed up country this is when the only alternative to throwing out the bums is a worse group of bums. I was surprised at the number of losses by the Republicans. It amazes me what eventually gets through to the brain dead masses.

In Michigan we had a decent Republican running for govenor, he is a good business man and a decent fellow. But to the sheeple he was a Republican and even though he had no connection to Bush or the War he never had a chance and so we get another term for an air head bimbo that has never run anything well and has so far done a disasterous job in her first term.

Bart

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Webb is now 1800 votes ahead of Allen. Depending on Missouri, the Democrats may well have both houses. I believe Bush actually wanted this, so as to ram through amnesty.

Ithink you're right. I heard his press conference today. He perked up when the prospect of working with the Dems on the amnesty proposal was brought up. He can't wait to ram that through.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
David Keene, president of the American Conservative Union, the largest and oldest grassroots conservative organization in the country, issued the following statement to the National Press Club today, November 8, 2006, regarding the election results.

it is powerful, and i think every member of this site should read it.

Yesterday Republicans paid a heavy price for their failure over the last few years to live up to the principles and standards that the American people believed they represented when they took the House of Representatives from the Democrats a decade ago.

This year's election turned out to be just what many in the GOP leadership and those of us outside Congress had feared: a referendum on the performance of Republicans in the White House and the Congress rather than a contest between competing ideological visions.

Indeed, this may have been the least ideological election in modern memory with voters rejecting Republicans across the board not because they rejected where Republicans want to take the country so much as their performance in taking us their.

In recent years we have seen Republicans who have spent a lifetime professing a belief in a smaller, limited national government band together to spend more money on Washington solutions to state and local problems than their Democratic predecessors.

We have watched Republicans elected by promising the highest standards in terms of integrity come to Washington to do good and stay to do well ... for themselves, their families and their friends and demean the offices to which they were elected in the process.

We have witnessed the hypocrisy of Republican leaders who came to Washington swearing an allegiance to upholding traditional values work to protect those among their number who have flaunted those values, morals and standards.

We have stood by as Republicans have flaunted, twisted and ignored rules to achieve their own partisan rather than principled ends; leaders who have used earmarks to seduce reluctant members to vote for legislation they knew was wrong and kept votes open for hours while they and their White House allies bludgeoned their colleagues into line in support of such legislation.

With yesterday's results in it is time for conservatives, Republicans and those who made them pay for their performance to demand better.

First, House Republicans should heed the advice of Virginia Congressman Eric Cantor who has called for postponing the leadership elections now scheduled to take place on November 15th, but two days after Congress returns.

Those who survived yesterday haven't even had a chance to discuss what happened let alone chart out a strategy for the next Congress. They should do so before electing new leaders and they should reject those who would simply rubberstamp the leadership that contributed to the defeat of so many of their colleagues last night.

It is our hope that the new leadership that emerges will be made up of principled conservatives who will work with the White House when the President is right and even with the new Democratic Congressional leadership when good ideas come from that quarter.

They should remember that many of those Democrats who were elected yesterday ran as moderate conservatives in districts that are traditionally conservative. Democratic candidates didn't articulate much in the way of a concrete agenda, but they did make promises to those whose votes they sought. Many of them promised they won't raise our taxes, demanded fiscal responsibility and attacked their GOP opponents for their participation in the spending binge that has characterized Washington in recent years. Many also disclaimed any intention of abridging traditional second amendment rights and declared themselves pro-life.

If these candidates were sincere ... and we have to believe that they were ... Republicans should be able to work with them on substantive issues where there is agreement ... and they should be prepared to do so.

At the same time, Republicans should go back to the principled stands that made America's voters proud to vote for them; that brought millions of traditionally Democratic voters into the Republican fold ... voters who deserted them yesterday simply because they believed they'd been had.

Nancy Pelosi has said that she wants to reform the way Congress does business and has in the past supported many of the same reforms that have been suggested by the Republican Study Committee and other Conservative members.

In fact, she and 162 of her colleagues signed on to a package of procedural reforms before the election that included earmark reform, limits on the leadership's power through the Rules Committee to alter legislation before it reaches the floor, a requirement that members actually have a day to read the legislation on which they are being asked to vote before the vote is called and a limit on the amount of time a vote can be kept open.

These are needed reforms and if she and her colleagues were serious when they endorsed them, they should enact them as their first order of business in the next Congress.

Most conservatives in and out of Congress think of themselves as conservatives first and Republicans second, but most of us are Republicans because we believe most Republicans share the principles and values we wish to see reflected in public policy.

At the same time, however, we are and have always been willing to cross party and ideological lines to accomplish those goals and continue to be willing to do so.

We hope that the party in which most of us have invested our trust will learn the right lessons from what happened yesterday and work to redeem that trust lest it be lost forever.

Kaptain

Master
More of the same, but satisfying to see the neocons get a resounding NO! get the F-out vote. However, the camilians (sp?) behind the scenes have already switched sides. Many of Bushies "advisors/bosses" have already switched sides just before election day. Perle, Wolfawitz, and others of this ilk bashed Bush and his war on Iraq a few days ago - a war these same people pushed for from day one. Isn't the sudden switching of sides curious? I guess Nancy Pelosi already has close ties to AIPAC. Looks like we'll play musical chairs every two years but still get the same results.

Bunnyman

Guru
George Allen went out of his way to say he supports affirmative action. He also helped black farmers in their shakedown of the American taxpayer.

The best thing that happened was that Allen and DeVos (GOP candidate for Gov. of Michigan) lost after supporting affirmative racism against whites. But the civil rights initiative aimed at halting affirmative racism passed by almost 60% - 40%.

Bronk

Mentor
This election does not reflect a hard turn to the left, in fact, it had many features of a populist uprising (as much of an "uprising" as you can get in a U.S. election).

It was a resounding NO for the neo-cons and a bit of a house cleaning for the GOP which people were well aware had BSed them for the past 10 years. Many of the Dems that ran and won were moderate-to-conservative.

A true turn to the left would have seen Ford elected in TN.

As for amnesty, I may be naive, but I think the signals from the people have been strong enough to keep it from happening. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

This wasn't a triumph for the kind of people who post on these boards, but it wasn't a left-wing coup d' etat either.

KG2422

Mentor
Some of the new Dems are against amnesty. I agree with Bronk; there did seem to be a hint of populism in the air. But part of me says let everyone in. It makes a civil war more likely if there is a mass influx of third worlders. I don't think politics is going to solve our problems, and I don't want to be 70 years old when a war comes. I want to be able to do something. Besides, the longer it takes the weaker our position will be.

Triad

Mentor
Jews take root in Capitol Hill

Democrats may have conquered both houses of Congress, and so have Jewish politicians. Number of Jewish senators rises from 11 t o13 and number of Jewish representatives jumps to 30 thanks to six new faces creating all-time high of Jewish politicians in Congress. Another precedent: First Muslim elected to House.

Full ArticleEdited by: Triad

Bart

Hall of Famer
More of the same! Pelosi replaced Hastert as the newbig cheeseof the house, but both of them march to the same drummer.

http://www.forward.com/articles/pelosi-works-to-shore-up-ima ge/

To demonstrate the extent of Pelosi's support for Israel and for the Jewish community, Jewish activists in the Bay area tell the story of a luncheon given several years ago by pro-Israel lobbying powerhouse the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, at which Pelosi was one of the speakers. Suddenly an alarm went off in the building and the participants began rushing to the doors. All but one â€â€￾ Pelosi, who stood up and recited Israel's national anthem. The impression that this event left on the Jewish activists who were gathered in the room is now one of Pelosi's main assets as she tries to improve her image in pro-Israel circles.

Edited by: Bart

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
To demonstrate the extent of Pelosi's support for Israel and for the Jewish community, Jewish activists in the Bay area tell the story of a luncheon given several years ago by pro-Israel lobbying powerhouse the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, at which Pelosi was one of the speakers. Suddenly an alarm went off in the building and the participants began rushing to the doors. All but one â€â€￾ Pelosi, who stood up and recited Israel's national anthem. The impression that this event left on the Jewish activists who were gathered in the room is now one of Pelosi's main assets as she tries to improve her image in pro-Israel circles.

What do you want to bet the alarm was deliberately triggered by Pelosi's handlers so she could perform this stunt?

Freedom

Mentor
Oh, lovely! This is the new change in government!
Now, I'd consider Olshansky white, but maybe not Pelosi
smiley1.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Today's attachment to the foreign country of Israel is much like the attachment so many Americans had at one time to the USSR -- except the present situation is far worse. Over 98% of the Congress will not criticize the government of Israel, theZionist lobby, and the U.S.-Israeli relationshipunder any circumstances. Ditto for almost all of the corporate media and of course the flocks of Judaized Christians who follow the likes of Hagee, Falwell, Robertson, Ted Haggard and the rest. And the executive branch is blatantly acting out the Zionist agenda.

It was never remotely this bad in the heyday of the influence of the Soviet Union in the '30s. There were always strong bastions of pro-Americans and pro-American institutions to combat and minimize the communists and the agents of the USSR. But not when it comes to Israel today. The Zionist cheerleadersare for all intents and purposes unregistered agents of a foreign government. The near-total enslavement of the institutions of government and media to a foreign nation is a priori evidence that the very limited "voter rebellion" registered on Tuesday will come to naught -- unless enough people continue to wise up and speak out. The latest column by the great Paul Craig Roberts tells it the way it is:

http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts11092006.html

Post-WWII, there was a lot of pro-Soviet sentiment. Soviet Agents and sympathizers tended to be one of two groups. They were either of Jewish extraction, or old-line WASPS. The execution of the Rosenberg's helped stamp this out. The prosecutor in the Rosenberg trial, and the judge who sentenced them to death, were both Jewish. This was a message to Jewish leftists that pro-Soviet activity wouldn't be tolerated. The Hungarian revolt in 1956 conntinued this thinking.

Alger Hiss was an example of the WASP elitist who spied for the Soviet Union. There were quite a few of these, as well.

Paul Craig Roberts used to write about the immigration crisis, but no longer does. He wrote a book about anti-white racial preferences, but has dropped this subject as well. He recently wrote a column praising Buchanan's latest book, "State Of Emergency." I think that is the only column by Roberts on the third world invasion of America in about 5 years.

I don't like the Bush administration and the neocons any more than anyone else on this Forum. Paul Craig Roberts needs to write more about the "National Question" in the United States.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The battle against the Communist, Soviet-worshipping enemy within raged unabated for decades. No one complained, they knew what had to be done and they did it, because they were Americans. Only a similar commitment will win the current struggle.

Roberts has written extensively, and in my opinion peerlessly, on how outsourcing American blue-collar and white-collar jobs to India and China is destroying the present and future for the American middle class. He has zeroed in on the nature of the Bush/neo-con regime with courageous and deadly accuracy. If America can be resuscitated and liberated from its present comatose state,Paul Craig Robertswill be among those who led the way.