Eagles - Saints

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Man, Garcia is exciting to watch! He just escaped a certain sack to throw the ball downfield. The Saints are all over him but he keeps making plays.

I said it before but it bears repeating here - Jeff Garcia is the quarterback Mike Vick oughta be. Garcia can run, he can beat the rush, but most importantly - he keeps his head and he can throw crisp, accurate passes.

I don't know why, but I keep expecting the Eagles to choke - fumble, INT, something, but they keep making plays. I'm impressed with both of these team's offenses.

Does settling for a field goal inside the Saints 10 yard line with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter count as a choke?

Edited by: White Shogun

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Great clip, Reb. That guy is hilarious. He is dead on in his impersonations. I'm downloading the second clip right now.

But what happened during the game while I was watching Caliendo?
smiley4.gif

FUMBLE!! Talk about bad timing! Igles ball!

I'm surprised they didn't call a blow to the head on the Saints for that muffed tackle on Westbrook.

Eagles gotta do something here. Third down already. Scott Fujita gets credit for the pressure on Garcia that caused him to throw the ball incomplete.

I know we haven't seen the Bears/Hawks yet, but I find it hard to believe that either of those teams will beat the Saints.

This could be the game. Eagles are going for it on 4th down.

Wow, they get the first and have it called a non-play for a false start. Looked like a BS call to me though.

I don't understand why the Eagles didn't go for it on 4th and 15. There is less than two minutes left.. one first down and the Saints win. Edited by: White Shogun

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A lot has happened for sure, but I'm having fun watching Reggie (the fumble) Bush sucking on his pacifier!
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The Eagles haven't been able to stop the Saints running game all night. Punting with under 2 minutes left in the game and losing by three in this situation is suicide. Andy Reid has cost the Eagles this game with his play call. They may not have made it on 4th down, but they had a better chance and making 4th and 15 than preventing the Saints from making a first down.

One could question Reid's decision to go for the field goal instead of the TD the last time they were down in the Saints red zone, too.

That's it. Saints win.

Guess we'll have to wait a couple years for another chance at a quarterback controversy in Philadelphia.

smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Billy Miller finishes with a team high 4 for 64.
Mark Campbell has a 23 yarder.
Steve Weatherford had a 15 yard run.
Matt Schobel had a 5 yard catch.
Jeff Garcia had 4 runs for 9 yards.

Sean Considine had 9 total tackles.
Scott Fujita had 4 total tackles.
Mark Simoneau had 2 tackles.
Scott Shanle had 2 tackles and a sack.

Good game, although Mike Karney should have gotten a couple of runs and a throw or two. He opened up bowling lanes tonight!
smiley32.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
If you guys have a chance, watch those clips Reb posted. That guy is dead on with his impersonations. They were worth the wait, even at my slow as snails DL speed.
smiley20.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Considine looks very close to being astar already. And there's some incredible talent at DB eligible for this year's NFL Draft, though some or all could be screwed by the Caste System machine. But between Considine, Stuart Schweigert and the upcoming rookie class, the ridiculous lack of white safeties may be alleviated a bit.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Punting with under 2 minutes left in the game and losing by three in this situation is suicide.

I agree, they should have gone for it instead of punting. It's fortunate for Westbrook that he can run, because his hands are bricks.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
White Shogun said:
Punting with under 2 minutes left in the game and losing by three in this situation is suicide.

I agree, they should have gone for it instead of punting. It's fortunate for Westbrook that he can run, because his hands are bricks.

When you're down by three with less than two minutes left, and your defense has been bleeding all day long, 5 yards isn't going to make that much difference. They go for it on 4th and 10 and make it, but don't have enough confidence to try it again when it's 4th and 15?

The Eagles beat the Packers in a playoff game by going for it on 4th and 26. I guess they didn't have enough confidence in their quarterback this time around, huh..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the "script" is for the woebegone Saints to overcome the tragedy caused by Katrina and the government and go to the Super Bowl, much like the "Patriots" won it in the 2001 season.
smiley2.gif

hedgehog

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Maybe the "script" is for the woebegone Saints to overcome the tragedy caused by Katrina and the government and go to the Super Bowl, much like the "Patriots" won it in the 2001 season.
smiley2.gif

I was thinking the same thing.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
smiley2.gif

LOL, good one, Don, It will be interesting to see if it plays out that way. Now I'll be wondering about all the calls and watching the refs more closely.

Now that I think about it, one of the announcers said Sean Payton has said he wants the Saints to be like the Patriots...

It's pretty inexplicable to me why Reid makes that call at this point in the game. Does he really think his D is gonna hold McAllister to less than 10 yards in 3 carries? They didn't accomplish that feat all night long.

Thoughts? Edited by: White Shogun

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it a couple years too late? It was just last season that the Saints were homeless. This season marked their return to New Orleans and the rejuvenated Super Dome (what a fun job that clean-up must have been).

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I edited the post too late, Don. Can't sneak anything past this board.
smiley2.gif

I was thinking the Saints have had two seasons at home, but it's only been one. Not sure how I could forget something like that, considering all the hype that accompanied the Saints first home game this year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One season removed from 3-13 and playing in the wake of the horrific real-life disaster of Katrina, the Saints will play for the NFC title.

That's on the ESPN homepage right now. I don't think that pro wrestling, I mean pro football, is necessarily rigged, but certainly feel-good tweaking isn't beyond the realm of possibility. We know that rosters are "tweaked" big time because of an agenda. The system likes nothing better than feel-good stories, especially if it involves lots of blacks. Edited by: Don Wassall

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, too, but I just don't see either the Bears or the Seahawks beating the Saints. I wasn't going to watch tomorrow's NFC game but I might now just to get a preview for next weekend.

It's almost enough to make root against the Saints. I'm not sure I can handle another two months of Katrina stories. Edited by: White Shogun

Bart

Hall of Famer
Did you notice the Saints owner jumping around like they won the Super Bowl? Didn't he petition the NFL for the right to move the team to a different city --permanently? I think Jeff Garcia made a couple big, big plays that were called back on penalties. Kind of ticky tacky if you ask me, but I was not an impartial viewer.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'll reluctantly root for the Saints over the Seahawks because of my long-standing dislike of Mr. Caste System, Mike Holmgren. Lovie Smith is almost as bad. Then again the way Mike Hass was treated (along with Chase Lyman) by Sean Payton is something that can't be brushed aside. Marques Colston obviously is talented, but it burns me up every time I watch the Saints and Hass isn't out there showing that he has even more ability than Colston.

For me, it's Go Colts all the way. If not Indy, then New England.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I felt the same way, Bart, the most glaring example being the false start on the 4th and 10. The flag came out late, whereas a false start flag should be thrown before or right at the snap of the ball. The play rarely ever gets off at all, but somehow the Saints almost sacked Garcia before he threw for the completion.. only to have the play called back for a false start.

Honestly though.. the defense let this team down, not the refs. Too many missed tackles.

I'm with Don. Colts first, Patriots second.

The only thing I'm thankful for right now is that I don't have to worry about the Ravens making it to the Super Bowl. Edited by: White Shogun

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Neither announcer said anything about how far Garcia threw that perfect bomb to Stallworth. It had to be at least 60 yards in the air. Meantime the Caste System consensus has been that Garcia's supposed weak armcan no longer out throw Pop Warner quarterbacks.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Pop Warner quarterbacks... did anybody else notice there was not a single black kid in any age group among the winners of the Punt, Pass, Kick competition?

White Shogun said:
I felt the same way, Bart, the most glaring example being the false start on the 4th and 10. The flag came out late, whereas a false start flag should be thrown before or right at the snap of the ball. The play rarely ever gets off at all, but somehow the Saints almost sacked Garcia before he threw for the completion.. only to have the play called back for a false start.

Honestly though.. the defense let this team down, not the refs. Too many missed tackles.

I'm with Don. Colts first, Patriots second.

I saw the false start... it was a good call.
The only thing I'm thankful for right now is that I don't have to worry about the Ravens making it to the Super Bowl.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, better Saints than Eagles... Saints do play 5 whites on defense, plus Mike Karney and Mark Campbell on offense.

Deus Vult

Mentor
In his post-game remarks, Deuce McAlister heaped praise on FB Mike Karney. Deuce is a pretty good sport. He's not a bling-blinging hotdog or a me-me-me motormouth, a la Chad Johnson or Neon Deion. Deuce is a decent cat.

Its hard to argue in retrospect with the Saints keeping Colston (over Hass). It is not hard to argue that Hass should have made the roster over Terrance Copper!

And speaking of Frank Caliendo, did y'all catch his Andy Rooney skit just before the Saints-Eagles game?