Drew Bennett

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Colonel_Reb said:
I share your sentiments Doc. I'm just hoping they air a few of the Rams games out in Utah so I can watch the fun.

What games do they usually air out in Utah, the Broncos?

Yeah CB, them and west coast teams mainly. The split national games are almost all western teams. I saw a few Texans games last year, but now we don't have ESPN, so the choices are even more limited.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Drew Bennett, still unsigned,is trying out for the Bucs. Gotta love this squib, which states that Antonio Bryant and Michael Clayton are the starters for Tampa. Bryant is a huge head case, so bad that he was actually out of the league for a year, but still overall has gotten chance after chance and finally produced in a big way last year. Clayton had ahuge rookie year in 2004 buthas beenterrible for the past four seasons and yet is still somehow a starter. That's a joke, a really bad joke.

<DIV =date-er>June 15, 2009
<DIV =entry id=entry-68135797>
<H1 =entry-er>Tampa Bay Buccaneers will work out Drew Bennett</H1>
<DIV =entry->
<DIV =entry->

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers tomorrow will work out former Rams receiver Drew Bennett, according to his agent.

Bennett was the Rams' No. 2 receiver last season after they released Isaac Bruce, but he broke his foot on the fourth play of the Rams' regular-season opener.

Prior to that, Bennett had only missed five games in his career. He could provide the Bucs with a veteran at their No. 3 wide receiver, behind Antonio Bryant and Michael Clayton.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Drew is done:

Drew Bennett retires.

At only 31 years of age, Drew decided to call it quits when old injury flared up...
smiley19.gif

i was hoping for him to have a huge year with Flacco and the Ravens, he could have easily gone over a thousand yards but seems like his body wouldn't let him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Its sad to see him go. Having to go through the Caste System's white WR apprenticeship program doesn't help either.

green fire317

Banned
I just hope Flacco can have a good season despite the lack of talent around him. if Flacco starts out bad due to the talent around him i am sure the dwfs will immediatley start calling for Troy Smith.

green fire317

Banned
i was thinking that as well. maybe they will be forced to go after jones now that bennett and mason are gone.

bigunreal

Mentor
I'm surprised this story hasn't received more attention here. What player signs a free agent contract and then retires two days later? How can anyone accept that at face value?

Bennett has shown poor judgment previously; a few years ago, he was the highest profile free agent WR, yet signed a contract with the Rams knowing that he'd be the third receiver. No black WR with similar credentials would ever do that. Now he retires right after working out and being signed by a team that will probably feature him as the #2, if not the #1 WR? What is going on there?

This is why I believe in conspiracies. Did the league mandate that he retire? Were they concerned that, with an already alarming number of white defensive players, an offense featuring a young white QB, prominent white TE and a go-to white WR would just be too much for Don King's America? Inquiring minds want to know....

guest301

Hall of Famer
He reinjured his knee, got frustrated and retired. There is something certainly not right going on in the NFL but I don't see the league making a player retire two days after he signs a contract with the Ravens.

ps by the way, welcome back bigunreal!Edited by: guest301

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Welcome back bigunreal! I hope you come around more often- especially during this football season- cause we enjoy your posts. But so you don't get too down on things- Forget the (N)ot (F)or Whites (L)eague, (N)ational (F)arce (L)eague, the (N)on-white (F)awning (L)eague or whatever you want to call it.

Start avidly watching college football (like I have done). Merely follow the NFL for the few white skill players that actually get a chance to play in a game. And we all know what happens in that case. They prove their studs like Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis and Peyton Hillis. Heck, even the hated position switcher- Matt Jones- made the best of a bad team and situation last year and looked good.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I wish my old external hard drive hadn't crashed, I had a lot of games from 2005 and 06 each year he went over 700 yards, only had a few from his 2004 season when he had over 1,000 and tied the record for most td catches in a 3 game span with 8

Ram_Country

whiteCB said:
WOW len praising Bennett a lot there. He must have had the wrong kool aid this morning.
smiley36.gif
Anyways if the Rams coaches were actually had a functioning brain they would see how Bennett is doing so much bettter than old ass issac Bruce and insert Drew in the starting lineup.

Mother of God.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ram_Country said:
whiteCB said:
WOW len praising Bennett a lot there. He must have had the wrong kool aid this morning.
smiley36.gif
Anyways if the Rams coaches were actually had a functioning brain they would see how Bennett is doing so much bettter than old ass issac Bruce and insert Drew in the starting lineup.
Mother of God.

Funny. Troll replies to a post from June of 2007. Guess he's just waking up from that 4 year coma!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This video shows all of Drew Bennett's NFL touchdown catches. Chris Berman in particular oohs and aahs over Steve McNair after TD throws but has little to say about Bennett, or Billy Volek when he was hitting Bennett over and over for TDs in 2004. If Volek had been the Titan's starting QB instead of McNair, Bennett would have routinely gone over 1,000 yards every season, not just '04 when he led the AFC in receiving yardage. Of course some other reason would probably have been found to lessen his impact him besides McNair's mediocre throwing ability, much as Brandon Stokley was demoted after also going over 1,000 receiving yards in '04.

TwentyTwo

Master
Yes indeed Don! Remember Drew Bennett! Thanks for going down memory lane! Lanky at 6'-5" 200lbs ! During hat 04' season he tied an NFL record by scoring 8 TD's in a three-game span. To think he was an WALK ON ex college QB that switched to WR his Junior year @ UCLA!(turned down Ivy League /Princeton) ...And went Undrafted!

Reminded me of another former WALK ON.....Virginia WR Patrick Jeffers (5th Round pick Broncos '96) 6'-3" 217lbs ...Finally got the chance to play back in 1999 w Carolina PANTHERS ; tore it up ......5 straight 100-yard receiving games (two short of the NFL record)! 1,082 yards & 12 TD's ; only to blow his knee out the next Pre-season of 2000.

Those two followed behind Ed McCaffrey ; the most under rated WR in the History of the NFL according to ex team mate Shannon Sharpe.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've written a lot about Jeffers' tremendous 1999 season. Many great memories of Jeffers and the other White receivers who made that year so memorable -- Ed McCaffrey, Keith Poole, Wayne Chrebet, Bill Schroeder, Tim Dwight and Darren Chiaverini.

Jeffers had his knee blown out by Steelers CB Chad Scott in a meaningless preseason game in 2000 and never recovered. Scott also bullied Danny Farmer after he was drafted by the Steelers in the fourth round in '00; despite Farmer's great talent the Steelers cut him in training camp, the highest drafted player to be cut that pre-season.

That promising 1999 season was quickly snuffed out in 2000, much as Bennett and Stokley never came close to duplicating their success in '04, and the way White receivers in general are once again being marginalized and dropping in numbers the past few years. Can't have too many of those Jordy Nelson, Eric Decker and Wes Welker "types" now can we?