Draft Day 2007

Triad

Mentor
Carriker and Leonard, the Rams may be CF favorite.

Below are the RB's on the Rams' roster:
32 Rich Alexis RB 26 6-0 213 1 Washington
30 Tony Fisher RB 27 6-1 223 5 Notre Dame
33 Kay-Jay Harris RB 28 6-0 229 1 West Virginia
44 Madison Hedgecock RB 25 6-3 266 2 North Carolina
39 Steven Jackson RB 23 6-2 231 3 Oregon State
45 Chris Massey RB 27 6-0 245 5 Marshall
28 Travis Minor RB 27 5-10 203 6 Florida State
Edited by: Triad

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Brian Leonard to St-Louis!!Is that good?They are a team who pass the ball a lot..And they got Stephen Jackson who carry the ball a lot?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to know how this will work out for Leonard. Jackson was a workhorse the past two seasons. In the worst scenario Leonard is merely a fullback who gets the occasional reception. In the best scenario, the Rams join most of the rest of the league in going to a "committee" at RB and Leonard ends up splitting carries and catches with Jackson.

Kiper gave Leonard some good priase, describing him as a guy who had good speed and good vertical as well as great hands. Interestingly, Kiper said that he thought Leonard would have gone one pick earlier to the Giants where he could have been a running back.

Emphasis may need to be added on could have, because I'm not sure why the Rams picked Leonard. They have Hedgecock as their power blocking fullback and they have Steven Jackson as their starter. The league is continually adapoting a split back approach to the running game, so it is possible they want to spell Jackson with Leonard.

White Mike

Guru
Don Wassall said:
ESPN just listed a graphic of the five fastest 40 times recorded at the Combine by running backs.  Leonard should have been listed fourth but was left off the list.  Another sign that he's just a fullback to ESPN.  At this point it seems as if every team is afraid to draft him because he's a "problematic tweener."

I saw that too Don.
smiley7.gif
Good thing about St Louis tough, the coach plans on using Brian much like Marion Barber in Dallas. I posted an article about it in the Brian Leonard thread last week. Great fit. He's not going to start next year. But he WILL BE A RB I guarantee it.

backrow

Hall of Famer
they wouldn't waste a pick on a fullback, if that was the only thing they had in mind for Brian. he will be h-back with lots of receptions and most likely will spell Jackson at least at times.
that's probably as good of a situation as any, lets' face it, no team in NFL would let a rookie white guy start at the runningback.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
but Backrow, the thing I want to know, Will they put him like Chris Cooley? Cause that cool he caught 4 or 5 pass in a game but I want him to run the ball at least 10 times!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Triad said:
Within seconds of his selection espn had this up on their website. What caste media?
espn bs said:
Weddle's lack of ideal speed, athletic ability and size separated him from the top three safeties in the draft but he is a football player who makes the most of his natural ability.
I saw that to, with quotes like that it sounds like a free agent. I think the writer graduated from stereotype 101....
smiley11.gif
Edited by: white is right

backrow

Hall of Famer
well second round ended well for us. Dan Bazuin and Sabby Piscitelli got drafted by respectively Chicago and (finally a good pick from Gruden and Allen) Bucs

Deus Vult

Mentor
lumsdenpower said:
BRADY QUINN with CLEVELAND!!!

The same Jerry Jones who drafted Quincy Carter traded away a heaven-sent opportunity to nab Brady Quinn!! What a dumbf**k!

My buddy in Dallas is livid. Jones has a lot of 'splainin' to do. He balked at his chance to pick the next Cowboy QB in the Staubach-Aikman mold. Brady Quinn could be that QB.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Deus Vult said:
lumsdenpower said:
BRADY QUINN with CLEVELAND!!!

The same Jerry Jones who drafted Quincy Carter traded away a heaven-sent opportunity to nab Brady Quinn!! What a dumbf**k!

My buddy in Dallas is livid. Jones has a lot of 'splainin' to do. He balked at his chance to pick the next Cowboy QB in the Staubach-Aikman mold. Brady Quinn could be that QB.

Good comparison. Quinn IS in the Staubach-Aikman mold. In fact what is there not to like about him? He certainly has future superstar written all over him. I don't understand why any team with the slightest desire for a QB didn't take him and that includes the Lions with the 2nd pick.

I really hope that he and Leinhart tear it up in the next few years. It will really prove the point that white QB's are the way to go and maybe end this ridiculous black-QB love circus that the league has been on the last few years.

SteveB

Mentor
After their great combine workouts, I can't believe no team has selected Tim Shaw or Brian Robison yet.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Wendling, Shaw and Robinson should still go in 3rd round, but they won't, not all of them.

Eagles just picked Stewart Bradley, OLB from Nebraska.Edited by: backrow

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The stupidest pick of the draft was Tennessee taking Chris Henry and his 3.5 yards a carry out of Arizona at the 50th pick ahead of Brian Leonard. You could make the argument that Kenny Irons may become a good running back as he was taken ahead of Leonard at 49 to Cincinnati, I had him ranked as my 4th best runner behind Leonard.

This Chris Henry guy had a great 40 yard time of 4.35, but if speed alone makes you a running back lets just suit Jeremy Wariner up to run the ball. I had Henry ranked as my 10th best running back. This pick was a joke. Now he is going to be groomed to become the featured runner in Tennessee. Tennessee is now possibly my least favourite team after seeing them make this inexplicable pick and with their disparaging treatment of Drew Bennett. White Mike I like your optimism, but I have doubts that Leonard will be used as a HB in St. Louis b/c Stephen Jackson is a top 10 running back in the league; and another downside he is very young.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

speedster

Mentor
I made the mistake of checking out foxsports and their draft coverage with their skinny.This is what they said about Dan Bazuin."Always working.Always working.He's a pure pass rusher who makes up for his lack of athleticism by going full-tile all the time".And for Sabby Piscitelli."Fantastic combine numbers running faster than he looked(he was too stiff and didn't move effortlessly)but he cranked out a 4.4 40 at 220 pounds."Need I say more.I'm done with these clowns from here on in I'll make my own observations.

Bart

Hall of Famer
speedster said:
I And for Sabby Piscitelli."Fantastic combine numbers running faster than he looked(he was too stiff and didn't move effortlessly)but he cranked out a 4.4 40 at 220 pounds."Need I say more.I'm done with these clowns from here on in I'll make my own observations.

I am really starting to hate these guys. Seriously! The kid runs a 4.4 40 but is too stiff? Faster than he looked.and didn't move effortlessly.
smiley7.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well we have a handful of things to be happy about.

1. Anthony Gonzalez was a first rounder and will be used by the Colts.
2. Dwayne Jarrett dropped down to the 45th? pick because of his 4.62, 4.67 40 time despite being 6'5 and being considered a likely 1st rounder.
3. Weddle seemed to be treated pretty fairly, but unfortunately he will only be considered a saftey. I think he could make it as a CB. 4.48 speed is slower than almost all corners that normally get picked day one of the draft, but there are some good NFL starters who can't break 4.5 in the 40. Weddle is a very smart cover guy who doesn't bite on fakes much (ie. needs less recovery speed) and shut down Calvin Johnson.
4. I like Greg Olsen going to the Bears, I'm betting he'll be thrown to a lot probably almost as much as Bernard Berrian.

The wild card is Leonard. If he gets his 10 carries a game this season, and does well the Rams may not pay the big money to resign Stephen Jackson when his contract expires (could someone tell me when that is.). If Leonard is used as a HB this year this could be a good draft. I'd prefer the backup HB role to him being used solely as a blocking-pass catching FB.
*Maybe they'll do both meaning they'll line him up as a HB enough for 10-12 carries and on other plays keep him on the field as the blocking FB for pass catching and the occasional carry on the fake. He could have quite a productive season in the latter manor, but for the most part, him as a FB scares me.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=149201

A look at David Ball's eye-popping numbers. 24 receiving TDs in one season! Take into consideration he was double and triple teamed, the college game plays 11 or 12 games, and he often only played 1 half in games! ( UNH domination)

Too slow but had a 284 yard receiving game? Too slow but averaged 18 ypc 2 consecutive years? Too slow but had 3 catches for 80 in the East West game, including a great 60 yard grab? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5lQa5s4Gs

These evaluators make me sick and so does the NFL. Yamon Figurs hardly ever started in college yet he broke into the 3rd round. 2 small school receivers, Laurent Robinson and no-hands Jacoby Jones both were drafted in the early 3rd BEFORE BALL. How is it that perhaps the most prolific 1-AA receiver (who happens to have the best hands in this draft) ever isn't drafted before these 2 is beyond me.

Ball's stock is dropping due to his 'poor speed.' (just under 4.6 when healthy) Yet James Jones' (4.59, 4.6 and obviously black) stock hardly drops at all, still managing a 3rd round selection.
smiley7.gif

I apologize for the ranting (I actually shortened it quite a bit)but I've seen the man play numerous times, and he's too good to get this treatment. Should he not be off the board by at least the fifth round, we can expect another sad Mike Hass story.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
David Ball should have been a early second round pick, Mike Hass should have been a mid second rounder IMO. Good Post White Athlete. I think Ball is a little better than Hass because he is stronger. Both are similar players though.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

jared

Mentor
Overall a pretty decent day with Gonzalez going in round 1 and Sabby, Bazuin, Weddle (the Chargers paid a lot to get him), and Leonard all gone in the 2nd.
I'm a little surprised that Wendling hasn't gone yet. I would expect him, Robison, and Shaw to all be gone by the end of the 4th. The three of them are easily the best remaining athletes at their respective positions.

texasheat

Deus Vult --
I hope your Cowboy buddy has calmed down a little bit. I think it was a helluva trade Jerry Jones pulled off today (can't believe I'm typing that?!?!). Anyway, if Romo is what we think he will be we didn't really need a QB. And, the big deal is the 'Boys got the Browns 1st round pick next year. With the way the Browns have been the past few years this could be a Top-10 pick. That would be smooth!!
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

Kaptain

Master
I've been unable to get to a computer until now to comment on this year's draft. Lots of interesting, but typically caste stuff. It does seem like the draft is more about protected the black "sacred cows" than actually improving a team. I can't comment on everything right now - it's just too much.

IMO, the most disappointing team draft has got to be the Green Bay Packers. Brett Farve is on his last years and at the end of last year it finally seemed like the team was turning around. The GB offensive line is one of few in the league that is all white. Nearly every Packer fan I have talked to here in Minnesota has talked about getting a tight end to replace the incompetent Bubba Franks. Well, Greg Olsen was staring them right in the face with the 16 pick and they passed on him. Olsen ran the 40 2 tenths of a second faster than any other TE at the combine. Favre to Olsen would have been fun to watch this year.

All four picks of the packers so far are coal-black. One of them is James Jones WR out of San Jose State. He played 4 years at San Jose and started just this last year. He had a modest 70 receptions (12.8 avg)and 10 touchdowns. Not bad, but remember were all told that players from the WAC are over-rated - right? Guess they meant only white players from the WAC.

Wait a minute, let's amend that to just "white players" are over-rated. After all, Mel Kiper over-rated Brady Quinn and Greg Olsen. Those two were #1 on his best available almost all day. Who would have guessed that Mel Kiper's list would actually look white-freindly in comparison to the actual draft? That's sad. Edited by: Kaptain Poop