Disturbing trend

sunshine

Mentor
The Sports Illustrated snubbing of Roger Federer illustrates an ongoing trend. The media led by SI has turned their backs in one way or another on white majority sports apart from Nascar and the like. The two glaring examples are hockey and tennis. SI has not placed these sports on covers these days whereas in the past they were often featured. Usually a male or female Wimbledon winner would grace the cover etc.. And hockey would get three or four covers a year or so.
Instead covers are reserved for baseball, basketball,golf and football for the most part.
Some might argue tennis and hockey and now boxing are too internationally dominated. But isn't baseball to a degree and even basketball? My hunch is SI has decided that tennis and hockey are unworthy due to two reasons. The lack of US dominance of late. And two, the lack of black "stars" in these sports. And within that is the semi hidden idea that a sport without blacks can't be worthy of such high praise-- The latter points to utter racism and I am afraid that racism against whites plays into their recent decision to snub Federer.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Sports Illustrated has received a lot of criticism in this regard. All of it well deserved. It has abandonded being an all encompassing sports magazine and is now just a shill for the major sports.

It's typical large corportation strategy, appeal to the lowest common denominator. SI once convered sports around the world and will still throw in an occasional soccer or Olympic special but the money from the masses comes from the sports you mentioned.

It's a typical strategy by the you-know-who's that run that business. No surprise. The magazine is a rag now as far as I'm concerned, I haven't bought or read one in years. I even turned down a free introductory offer.

Who cares if they snubbed Federer? It's like getting snubbed by BET, means nothing.