DISGUSTED

Tom Iron

Mentor
What a bunch of malarkey. The Giants couldn't make it to the game to play the Vikings. As many of you know, I'm an older man. Years ago, I worked up on the "Iron Range" in Minn. That's well north of Minneapolis where the game is to be played. It was a matter of pride up there that nothing ever was cancelled due to snow. It seemed if an old ladies sowing circle was scheduled to meet on a certain date and it was snowing, they just got in their cars and went as if it were in the mid 70s and sunny. It never occured to them not to go. Of course, they understood when one of their number had died since the last meeting. They were very flexible that way. But nothing less than death was considered a reaonable excuse for not coming.

Now these idiotic jerks (the Giants) can't even get to the game. Baloney!!!

Tom Iron...

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Hey Tom Iron, it was the same way when I lived in central Montana. Folks didn't think twice about going out in blizzards with 30-40 below wind chills.

Below zero temperature never changed the routine: Kids waited for the bus, grandmothers went to the market, etc.During high school basketball season, if a game was in another town, sometimes hours away, they drove to it.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Maybe the players themselves (such as Eli Manning) are raring to go regardless of weather, but it's the team administrative staff and the NFL in general that are protecting themselves against safety and legal liability issues.

Probably the NFL really wishes the game could go off as scheduled, because it's probably really expensive and inconvenient to reschedule things like that. Plus the game is probably sold to capacity, and the ticket holders might get mad or whatever.

It's too bad it's not like 1965 or so, when the players would line up for scrimmage in a dark alley or in a Woolworth parking lot rather than call it quits.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey Tom Iron, I'm not sure what this post is about. I can't see any reason why the Giants would avoid Minneapolis for the game, as last I heard, the Vikings don't play at Metropolitan Stadium anymore, but in a temperaturee-controlled dome, where it's always 72 degrees and sunny
smiley1.gif

I do know that their flight was diverted here to KC as the Twin Cities airport was closed, and now the dome has collapsed under the weight of snow (not the first time this has happened). Now they get to play in DETROIT, of all places, tomorrow night.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Hi FootballDad,

Yeah, sometimes I don't make myself as clear as I should. I didn't mean the Giants were trying to avoid playing the Vikings. I was talking about their not getting themselves to the place where the game is to be played.

Interesting that now the game is going to be played in Detroit. I guess playing outdoors at the University of Minnesota ballfield is unacceptable anymore. I guess Minnesotans don't do outdoors anymore. We used to icefish/drink ourselves blind out on the lakes all the time. Drunkeness is the big sport in northern Minn. They used to have a saying when leaving a bar up there, "one for the ditch" (the sides of the roads are ditched).

Tom Iron...

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the clarification, Tom, sometimes it takes awhile for the gist to ram its way through my skull
smiley1.gif
. You are correct, if the Patriots and Bears can play in a snowstorm, why can't the Giants and Vikings? I am old enough to remember the "Met" and the purple people eaters.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think it's a case of the airports being closed. If you can't fly there you can't get there.

Here in Detroit there is a lot of noise about the game, tickets are free at the box office. But the weather is bad here too so I don't know that there will be much of a crowd. On the bright side it will be the first game featuring TWO professional football teams to play in the city since the Superbowl a couple of years ago.
smiley2.gif

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I also heard this morning on a radio show that one of the main reasons that the game could not be moved to an outdoor facility was because the Giants did not pack cold-weather gear.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Back in the 70's the Vikings had a reputation for freezing out their opponents in NFC playoff and title games. They played the Rams and many people felt if the games were on a neutral site the Rams probably would have beaten them once, but the Vikings bogged down their offense because of the cold. Once they went indoors they completely changed their offensive philosophy.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey Tom Iron, it looks as though the Vikings were listening to us
smiley2.gif
as they will be moving the Monday nite game against the Bears to U of M's stadium for a night of real cold-weather football! Proponents of old-school all-weather football rejoice!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Here's another reason to be disgusted with the Giants. What the heck is their coach running out on the field and yelling at the punter for? Weren't there ten other guys on the field who missed the tackle as well. What about all the points the sorry defense gave up to Vick? Was that the punters fault as well? Just digusting watching that.

Tom Iron...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
Here's another reason to be disgusted with the Giants. What the heck is their coach running out on the field and yelling at the punter for? Weren't there ten other guys on the field who missed the tackle as well. What about all the points the sorry defense gave up to Vick? Was that the punters fault as well? Just digusting watching that.

Tom Iron...

From what I've heard the punter wasn't supposed to kick the ball to Jackson. Coughlin is a piece of sh*t anyway. He wouldn't dare yell at the brothers because they would all turn on him.