Discourse in sports media

C Darwin

Mentor
I DVRed the one of the shows on ESPN called "Whose #1. This show was on the biggest NFL draft busts of all time. After watching it once, it was obvious that it was filled with tons of the stereotypical descriptions of blacks and whites. I felt like I needed to post regarding the show, but I didn't want to b!+ch. So I watched it again, keeping a record of each players race and how the experts of ESPN described them.

This show consisted of a list of 20, with the 20 & 19 slots going to the Cardinals and Bengals organizations respectively. So out of 18 individuals, 9 were black and 9 were white. Of the top ten (understanding that this is a ranking of the biggest busts) 7 out of 10 were white.

Now for the descriptions.
Un-athletic: 2 whites, 0 blacks
Injury plagued: 1 white, 4 blacks
Drafted too high: 0 whites, 3 blacks
Quick or speedy: 0 whites, 6 blacks
Cursed: 0 whites, 4 blacks
Implied the use of steroids: 3 whites, 0 blacks
Mobile: 2 whites, 0 blacks
Big / large / huge: 3 whites, 0 blacks (Big Daddy's size was not mentioned)

There were obviously more descriptions, but they were either unique or were used equally between the races.

Needless to say, the entire list was made up of men that never lived up to their expectations. What I found most remarkable is how the ESPN explained the phenomenon of their draft position. 7 of the 9 whites were described as "hyped". No blacks were described using the word hype. 4 of the 9 blacks were described as "great" by consensus. Tony Mandarich was described both ways.

Twice in the program the ESPN Experts stated how there were players who had better careers later in the draft. Guess how the races matched up? In both accounts, it was in reference to a bust white player when there were other blacks that ended up having better careers available in the draft.

BOYCOTT PRODUCTS ADVERTISED ON ESPN!!!
Edited by: C Darwin

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scouts Inc. on ESPN Insider preview every NFL game each week. In this week's analysis of the Saints-Falcons game, they write:

"The key to Saints' attacking schemes will be the proper run fits from their linebackers from an inside/out position. Although they are not an overly talented group, the Saints have gotten solid production against the run out of SLB Scott Fujita, MLB Mark Simoneau and WLB Scott Shanle."

There it is -- the obligatory racist qualifier. The Saints are the only team that starts all white linebackers, so they just had to throw that in there. After all, how could they possibly be "talented" when they're white? Everyone knows that, and just to make sure they know it we have to draw attention to whites' lack of athleticism again and again and again and again. . . it's nothing but Basic Propaganda 101. Repeat the propaganda over and over until it isunthinkingly ingrained inthe brainsof your subjects.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Did anyone else hear Chris Collinsworth on the Dan Patrick (radio) Show today. As P.C. as Dan is, he did not flinch when Collinsworth brought up the stereotype of the "slow, white WR." Collinsworth said the stereotype of white men -- that whites make slow receivers and cannot play CB -- is pervasive and is frequently discussed in locker rooms. Collinsworth said even his old Coach, Sam Wyche, was surprised to learn that he (Chris) ran a sub- 4.5 40 yard dash time.