Deontay Wilder, the Amercan Hypeful

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
To be fair, Deontay Wilder has talent and good potential.

He's being poorly managed though, he's fought only the worst imaginable clubfighters except for one decent journeyman (who knocked him down).

It doesn't help a fighter's development to fight nothing but low-level tomato cans.

Helenius, Fury and Pulev have fought much better opposition.

Price has fought only bums so far too, but is now stepping up to fight a decent opponent in his 9th pro fight.

Problem is when you've had 14 fights and your fighting club fighters you're not learning anything. His fight with Dustin Nichols (now on that above link) shows it all, he has some skill but isn't impressing with it. He's not a teenager with time to be brought along slowly. Sconiers had gone 2-5 since Jan '07 and still managed to drop Wilder hard, imagine what even a half decent fighter could do to him...

Parody said:
To be fair, Deontay Wilder has talent and good potential.

He's being poorly managed though, he's fought only the worst imaginable clubfighters except for one decent journeyman (who knocked him down).

It doesn't help a fighter's development to fight nothing but low-level tomato cans.

Helenius, Fury and Pulev have fought much better opposition.

Price has fought only bums so far too, but is now stepping up to fight a decent opponent in his 9th pro fight.
MaybeWilder's management knows something we don't?
Today's heavyweight division has tons of talented fighters, so i think its a lot harder to make it..
the few Amercians that have step up have been put back down, Boswell [who fought lastnight] only had one match in 2010, Malik Scott is MIA. and many more, i just believe they know they can't make it and are sitting and waitting....Edited by: lost

ww

Guru
The latest Great Black Hope/Dope. It does seem to have a good punch, though

Blue Devils

Mentor
Another hypejob but I hope he continues to win so he'll face a Euro heavy in a high profile match.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I always wondered about the term 'clubfighter' maybe fifty years ago they had clubs which regular guys belonged to and fought, but not today. I could be wrong, but does anyone if those clubs exists?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
I always wondered about the term 'clubfighter' maybe fifty years ago they had clubs which regular guys belonged to and fought, but not today. I could be wrong, but does anyone if those clubs exists?

I wondered too, from wikipedia:
A club fighter (or clubfighter) is a professional boxer who usually fights locally and has a mediocre record. Club fighters generally are not nationally recognized and have not won any fights that show the ability to win a championship. The term is often used as a pejorative for over-hyped fighters or for older boxers when they begin to decline. For example, Floyd Mayweather Jr. called Arturo Gatti "a blown-up club fighter," even though Gatti was the WBC super lightweight champion at the time.

A club fighter is less respected than a contender, who defeats journeymen and club fighters in order to establish himself as a challenger for a world title. A journeyman is slightly more respected than a club fighterâ€"often by way of having a superficially good record. But, a club fighter is more respected than a bum, who loses nearly every fight.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Thanks jaxvid for the info, even in the internet age where almost all answers are to be found, I either forget to check or just too lazy to click the mouse.

From this point on, I will use this small incident as my 'sputnik' moment.
smiley36.gif

ww

Guru
jaxvid said:
Westside said:

I wondered too, from wikipedia:

A club fighter (or clubfighter) is a professional boxer who usually fights locally and has a mediocre record. Club fighters generally are not nationally recognized and have not won any fights that show the ability to win a championship. The term is often used as a pejorative for over-hyped fighters or for older boxers when they begin to decline. For example, Floyd Mayweather Jr. called Arturo Gatti "a blown-up club fighter," even though Gatti was the WBC super lightweight champion at the time.

A club fighter is less respected than a contender, who defeats journeymen and club fighters in order to establish himself as a challenger for a world title. A journeyman is slightly more respected than a club fighterâ€"often by way of having a superficially good record. But, a club fighter is more respected than a bum, who loses nearly every fight.

But Westside was right, referring to the origin of the term which may now have degenerated into more or less a perjorative appellation. I think that this feller gives a good explabnation of the origin:

"It is an
old-school rip on a pro fighter who - according to fans, media types,
those in the game - doesn't have what it takes to be a championship
contender. It is used like the old-school "bush leaguer" term for MLB
players.
<div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1296108256595152" ="">

It comes from the time when boxing clubs were more numerous in cities
and were a type of "minor league" where amateurs would move up the
rankings at the local, state and national amateur levels and perhaps be
good enough to turn pro."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070430022304AAPlzc2
</div>

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm not to sure that a journeyman is ranked above a club fighter. Usually journeymen have near 500 records and come into town to lose against the local prospect/club fighter. A true club fighter is Peter Manfredo, while a journeyman would be somebody like Julius Long who lost on the Holyfield card on the weekend. Fighters can drift down the ladder ie Ray Mercer who went from a contender down to journeyman level. Holyfield is slowly doing the same thing.

A club fighter is someone who fights at local clubs, they may have a winning or a losing record but they are very protected as they are the local attraction and fed patsies/bums/tomato cans to pad their record.

iamasadlittleboy said:
A club fighter is someone who fights at local clubs, they may have a winning or a losing record but they are very protected as they are the local attraction and fed patsies/bums/tomato cans to pad their record.
Yes, but club fighter is used alot to mean someone thats at a lower level...

warhawk46

Guru
This is also what hurts the American boxing scene. So many of the local gyms, which used to have club fighters in abundance, are shutting down or have been gone for years.<div>
</div><div>To find something similar, check out the any number of MMA gyms cropping up in cities around the country. These gyms (coupled with very small-time promoters) will often feature local MMA cards where local fighters get a chance to get professional fights. They can build up a following in their neighborhood, but many don't have the talent to go national.... This is what boxing is missing nowadays.</div><div>
</div><div>Boxing, along with football, is my favorite sport. I have a huge fight library and try to watch as often as I can. But, being 230 lbs myself, I prefer to watch the heavies and cruisers. I just wish some of these white athletes in MMA decided to go into boxing. I've no doubt that some of these men, if they developed their punching skills over years, could become excellent boxers. We need an great American heavyweight who is white to come along. Otherwise the sport will keep dying over here.</div>