Craig McEwen

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This young Scottish light middleweight is now 14-0. He's promoted by Golden Boy and works with the best boxing trainer in the world, Freddy Roach.

His biggest test to date will come on Friday. On ESPN Friday Night Fights, he'll be facing tough Brian Vera, the same boxer who defeated the then 15-0 middleweight prospect Andy Lee last year. It should be a good fight!
smiley14.gif

Edited by: JD1986

StarWars

Mentor
I am Scotch-Irish so I have a special connection to these guys. "Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedom."

Blue Devils

Mentor
I've heard nothing but good things about McEwan.

Hopefully he impresses on National TV.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
McEwen is a tall switch hitter, with good hand speed, he's light on his feet and steps around easily, he's got a good chin, and he always works behind a jab. He's white, so you know he has power as it is rare to find a good white fighter that cannot punch. I don't know if he will win tonight, but I do know he can box and if he can't win by knockout he can always rely on his boxing to win rounds. Good luck to him and I hope he beats Vera.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
McEwan won on all three scorecards 97-93. Vera was wild and rough; McEwan used his boxing skills when he could not get the knockout and won on points. I would say though, that McEwan could have knocked Vera out had he put his straight left from southpaw down the centre as Vera threw wild, looping, overhand rights. Anyway, a win is a win and McEwan showed he has skill and defense unlike Duddy who is still mostly an attack man. This win should put McEwan in the top 10 if he is not already.

Blue Devils

Mentor
McEwan fought a good fight. With Roach in his corner I have no doubt he'll continue to improve.

I still think Andy Lee is the better fighter of the two. Lee should have beat Vera when they fought. Once Lee dropped Vera he ignored his skills and tried to slug it out giving Vera his only chance at victory.

JD074

Master
McEwan doesn't have much power, and I think the heat and humidity affected both fighters. But he does move well and he's very tall. He's 6'1", and the announcer said that he's planning to drop down to 154. That's a very tall junior-middleweight!

The Hock

Master
Maple Leaf said:
I would say though, that McEwan could have knocked Vera out had he put his straight left from southpaw down the centre as Vera threw wild, looping, overhand rights.

I saw the same thing. McEwen showed good skills and chin, but I would like to see him straighten out his left cross to add a good left handed fastball to his repertoire. It will come in handy as he moves up.

Blue Devils

Mentor
McEwan fights this Saturday on the Bute-Andrade card in Canada.

His opponent will be James Parison 12-0(3).

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:
McEwan fights this Saturday on the Bute-Andrade card in Canada.

His opponent will be James Parison 12-0(3).
From Fightnews

Middleweight Craig McEwan retained his perfect record, moving to 17-0 with a 79-73, 78-74, 77-75 decision over James Parison, handing the San Diego fighter his first defeat in a battle of undefeated fighters at the Quebec Colisee in part of the undercard action of the sold-out Lucian Bute versus Librado Andrade card. The Scottish import who is promoted by Golden Boy got off to strong start but had too many lapses of inactivity during the eight round bout where Parison was able to land some flush shots. As early as the second round McEwan ate two lefts hooks right on the chin but remained unfazed by the shots that had little mustard on them from the light hitting Parison who has just three knockouts in thirteen fights. By the fifth round Parison was sucking wind and was wild and clumsy in the middle of the ring, but forced back to the ropes by a pursuing McEwan, was again able to counter with some solid right hands. The sixth was almost a mirror of the previous round, this time though with the southpaw suffering a cut over his right eye. The flush shots served as warning enough for McEwan who tried to keep the action in the middle of he ring down the stretch but was severely warned and action stopped for a blow behind the head on Parison who had turned his back on the action.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Craig will face Canadian Kris Andrews 15-8-2(4) on the Jones-Hopkins undercard this Saturday.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:
Craig will face Canadian Kris Andrews 15-8-2(4) on the Jones-Hopkins undercard this Saturday.
From Fightnews

Freddie Roach trained middleweight Craig McEwan (18-0, 10 KOs) defeated Kris Andrews (15-9-2, 4 KOs) via 8th round TKO (2:11). No knockdowns early but Andrews was rocked by a right hand and McEwan followed with a barrage of punches for the finish.

moose

Guru
mcewan doesnt look like he's that good, but he is, I've seen a good number of fighters like that, they dont do anything that great except win.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
McEwen has been matched tough for someone coming off a KO loss: he's fighting Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillan, who is probably the best negro middleweight.

Now I don't consider Quillan to be in the top 5 in the loaded 160 division. Someone like Pirog, Martinez or Golovkin would surely beat him. I think Quillan ranks about #8 or #9 at middleweight.

But McEwan isn't a top 5 middleweight either and should have had a warm-up before going in with him.

Westside

Hall of Famer
McEwen has the grand stage to pull the trigger on an upset of HBO's newest "all hope negro fighter" in Quillin. I said months ago that I view him as a rough Joe Calzaghe. If he has remedy his stamina problems that he had against Andy Lee several months ago, he has a chance to pull the upset and send the negros, DWFs and Caste puppet masters back to the drawing board.

As an appetizer HBO has Angulo vs "yesterday's all hope negro fighter" soon to be a no hoper on the co main event. Big caste boxing match ups tonight with Bute vs Johnson on Showtime.:boxing:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Also we have white fighter Sebastian Demers against negro Allan Green tonight. This is definitely a winnable fight for Demers.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This fight is just a typical set-up by HBO so the public can see a negro dominate a white fighter.

They wouldn't show Quillen fighting someone more talented like Pirog or Golovkin, those guys would beat him.

Similarly, they'll be showing the latest "Great Black Hope" Seth Mitchell against old, inactive, light-punching Timur Ibragimov, but they wouldn't show Mitchell on TV with a talented white heavyweight who would beat him like like Boytsov, Price, Helenius, Gerber or Glazkov.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well that was disappointing. Both are raw, but It seemed to me that Craig regressed. I expected a better performance from him. Yeah, the stoppage was premature but Craig was losing all but one round. He did not look crisp. Quillian did not impress me. If he fought Sergio Martinez another Paul Williams "tree falling" experience would happen to him.

Bute won a UD as expected. Now the cherry on top would be Angulo destroying convict Kirkland.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Angulo vs Kirkland looks like a fight of the year candidate, both were down twice in the first, at this point either can guy can be ko'd.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Kirkland won a great fight. He got dropped and almost out. Angulo foolishly punched himself out in the first. Kirkland got the tko in the 6th I believe. Congrats to him and great fight. Angulo was not thinking right. He probaby thought Kirkland was shot and did not train for a long fight.

Bullsh*t fight, the dumb Perro messed it all up. Now because of him, we'll hear about the so called resurrection of that trash and what makes HBO happy doesn't please me.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Bullsh*t fight, the dumb Perro messed it all up. Now because of him, we'll hear about the so called resurrection of that trash and what makes HBO happy doesn't please me.
You are correct Frenchnative. Angulo F'd up big time. He shot his entire load and did not have any thing left for the next 15 minutes. LOL But he should have paced and probed Kirkland. Now HBO will be hyping Kirkland as the best light middlewieght fighter. That is ok, Canelo awaits in a year or so. But to be fair a great win for Kirkland.