Connor Barwin

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Past time to start a thread for this gifted athlete:

Houston Texans Team Report

<DIV =inside-copy>Barring injury, if second-year defensive end Connor Barwin isn't the most improved player on the team, it's going to be a surprise.
As a rookie last season, the second-round pick played defense for only the second year of his football career. Barwin was a tight end at the University of Cincinnati, and he moved to defensive end as a senior.
The Texans brought Barwin off the bench, and he recorded 4.5 sacks, tying for second on the team. Because he has a high motor and is blessed with natural athleticism, including speed, the coaches would love for him to double his sack total.
"He's playing stronger at the point of attack, and he's a lot quicker off the ball, which will really help him as a pass rusher," assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar said. "He's really shown a lot of improvement in areas we need him to improve in.
"Obviously, he looks a lot better than he did this time last season. But he's still got a long way to go, and the more reps he gets, the faster he'll improve."
Barwin, 6-4, 257, played at 265 last season when he had more sacks than any 4-3 defensive lineman as a rookie. He'll continue to come off the bench and play opposite Mario Williams. The other starting defensive end, Antonio Smith, moves inside in passing situations.
"There's a lot of learning that goes into it," Barwin said. "I've worked very hard to get where I am right now. I'm looking forward to training camp because it means we're one step closer to the season."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/notes.htm

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Barwin can be a big-time star at DE so we'll have to see how this works out if he changes position:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle predicts that Connor Barwin will be a starting rush-outside linebacker in the Texans' new 3-4.
McClain expects Barwin to be bookended by Brian Cushing, who can run, hit, and cover and projects as a strong-side, outside 'backer. Barwin will have to face competition, but if he wins will be counted on for the bulk of pass-rushing duties. Pegged by many as a future 3-4 rush linebacker coming out of Cincinnati in 2009, Barwin is a good fit for the role. At least on paper.

Also played basketball at Cincinnati.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If he does get moved to outside linebacker then the Texans are obviously acknowledging his athleticism. The guy runs a 4.5 40 and has a 40 inch vertical which is amazing. He's also in the 250lb range which is linebacker weight.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It does have the potential to be a dynamic duo of Barwin and Cushing as bookend OLBs.

TheAnimal

Guru
Don Wassall said:
I think Barwin can be a big-time star at DE so we'll have to see how this works out if he changes position:
<div></div>
<div>John McClain of the Houston Chronicle predicts that Connor Barwin will be a starting rush-outside linebacker in the Texans' new 3-4.
McClain expects Barwin to be bookended by Brian Cushing, who can run, hit, and cover and projects as a strong-side, outside 'backer. Barwin will have to face competition, but if he wins will be counted on for the bulk of pass-rushing duties. Pegged by many as a future 3-4 rush linebacker coming out of Cincinnati in 2009, Barwin is a good fit for the role. At least on paper.</font>
</div>

It would work out great for both Barwin AND Cushing IMO. They both have the skillset, athletic ability and intelligence to be top notch OLB's in a 3-4. Hell Cushing would even make a good 3-4 SILB as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them make that switch at all.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Let's hope this is true.

<div class="headline" style="background: url(&quot;/img/nfl/teams/icons/HOU.gif&quot;) no-repeat scroll left top rgb(191, 9, 58);">
<div ="p">Connor Barwin
- LB -
Texans

</div>
</div>

<div ="re">

The Texans have "big plans" for OLB Connor Barwin in Wade Phillips' new 3-4 defense.
</div>
<div ="impact">
"People have no idea how big of an injury that was for our
team," coach Gary Kubiak said of Barwin's season-ending ankle injury in
Week 1 last season. He's now expected to start as an edge rusher, moving
to defensive end in nickel situations. Barwin has a legit shot at a
breakout season and double-digit sacks under Phillips.
</div>

backrow

Hall of Famer
i'm very happy for this talented athlete.

Connor Barwin - LB - Texans

Texans OLB Connor Barwin set a franchise record with four sacks of Jaguars quarterbacks in Week 12.

He finished with 10 tackles (seven solo). The monster day brings Barwin's sack total on the season to 8.5, and after a relatively slow start Barwin now has 6.5 in his last three games. Rookie bookend Brooks Reed has six sacks on the season, and the Texans have hardly missed a beat without Mario Williams.

Nov 27 - 10:45 PM

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice to see. Barwin had been getting lots of pressure on QBs, but was just missing sacks, much like Kroy Biermann last year and Clay Matthews this season, so he needed a breakthrough game like this to really solidify his position and reputation. He's only getting better too.

When Mario Williams comes back in 2012, Barwin or Reed will have to become a backup, unless Gary Kubiak has balls made of steel. Maybe Williams' contract will be up next year and they can let him leave or trade him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Barwin was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for November. :thumbsup:

Bronk

Mentor
Barwin is the real deal. he has about 10 1/2 sacks on the season and he's a real playmaker.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a nice article on Barwin. Look for him to shine in Philly this season.

Eagles Have A Very Talented Player In Connor Barwin

by Garry Cobb

For years the Eagles have had major problems trying to contain opposing tight ends. I think they’ll be able to rid themselves of that problem going forward because of the size and coverage ability of newly acquired veteran outside linebacker Connor Barwin. Barwin has all the ingredients needed to defend a tight end. He’s got great size at 6’4″ 264 pounds with surprising catchup speed and the ability to change of direction very quickly.

The former Houston Texan also has the long arms which are needed to get a good jam on the tight end. I think this is one of the most important keys to limiting the effectiveness of the tight end. You’ve got to make it difficult for them to get off the line and into their routes. He’s shown me that he can hold up the tight ends with his jam.

Barwin will be asked to line up as the left outside linebacker on first downs. This will match him up against the opposing team’s tight end because most of the time, teams line their tight end up on the right side, because most offense are right handed. They will run the ball quite a bit in that situation.

I love the idea of matching Barwin up with the tight ends in pass coverage and on running plays. He’s going to be a handful for tight ends whether ti’s a run or a pass.

Barwin showed off his pass coverage skills today at Eagles training camp by jamming tight end Brent Celek to the ground and then running with tight end/H back James Casey step for step for about 40 yards then knocking down a pass intended for the receiver. It was impressive to see a big linebacker like Barwin make the play on the ball. He’s the best matchup the Birds have had against NFL defensive ends, since Carlos Emmons.

I can’t say the same for the linebackers on the other side Trent Cole, Brandon Graham and Phillip Hunt. All three of them took turns getting beaten by the other tight ends. Cole was beaten with two outside moves, while Graham was beaten by a deep throw down the middle then he was unable to stop an outside route. Hunt struggled in his coverage as well.

Here’s the real deal. Eagles defensive coordinator Billy Davis isn’t going to make a habit of having Cole, Graham or Hunt locked up in man-to-man match ups with tight ends or running backs. The defense will likely be in a zone defense when he has these guys dropping into coverages.

Cole, Graham or Hunt will start at the right outside linebacker position and they won’t be there because of their ability to cover the pass. They are there to rush the passer and that’s their number one job. These guys will be in pass coverage only 10% to 15% of the plays.

Back to Barwin, I neglected to mention his pass rushing ability. You’ll see what he can do in that area on second and third downs. There will be occasions on first down when he will be turned loose on a blitz, but he’ll spend most of his time on the early downs, playing the run and covering the tight ends.

http://gcobb.com/2013/07/26/eagles-have-a-very-talented-player-in-connor-barwin/