Columbus wins MLS: Whites excel

Solomon Kane

Mentor
<H1>Schelotto leads Crew to first-ever MLS championship</H1>
<DIV id=writer_info>
<H2 title=""></H2>
<DIV ="gray_dots">
<DIV id=story_nav>
<H3>Updated: November 23, 2008, 8:49 PM EST CARSON, California - Midfield maestro Guillermo Barros Schelotto collected some more hefty bling. Coach Sigi Schmid got a sense of redemption.</H3>
<DIV id=story_content>

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; MARGIN: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=235 align=right ="emailBoothFields"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=50 align=right><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
6249184_36_4.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="caption"></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Jamie Trecker:
Fitting finish

It was a fitting, if not thrilling, finish to the MLS season as Columbus brought home its first MLS Cup trophy.<BR clear=all></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

The 35-year-old Schelotto, a longtime star in his native Argentina, assisted on all the Columbus Crew's goals in Sunday's 3-1 MLS Cup victory over the New York Red Bulls. Afterward, he received the game's MVP award to go with the regular-season MVP trophy he was presented earlier in the week.

Schmid hoisted the Cup in the home stadium of the Los Angeles Galaxy, a team that axed him in 2004, two years after he guided the club to the MLS championship.

"It's a very emotional moment for me, winning this game here in L.A. in front of family and friends. And, to be quite honest, the town that I was fired in," Schmid said.

Alejandro Moreno scored in the first half for Columbus and, after New York's John Wolyniec tied it 1-1 in the 51st minute, Chad Marshall put the Crew back in front two minutes later. Frankie Hejduk added an insurance goal.

"We played a very good second half," Schelotto said through a translator. "The first half was a bit more difficult. We were lucky to get that second goal off a corner kick. After that, I believe we were much better than the other team."

<DIV ="in_info_">
<H3>
<CENTER>Major League Soccer</CENTER></H3>
<DIV ="in_info__content">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=230 align=left><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="caption"></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><BR clear=all>
<H4 ="gray_dots">That rapid response to New York's tying goal was deflating for the Red Bulls, Wolyniec said. </H4>

"The timing of the second goal was disappointing," he said. "We were on a high from tying the game and it's tough to come back."

New York coach Juan Carlos Osorio thought the Red Bulls outplayed the Crew in the first 45 minutes.

"We should have been one up instead of one down," he said.

Then there was a defensive lapse on Marshall's header off Schelotto's corner kick, which Osorio called "too easy."

"In between, we gave a good account of ourselves," he added.

Schelotto, who led the league with 19 assists during the regular season, set up Moreno's goal with a heads-up play near the sideline, Marshall's with a bending corner kick, and Hejduk's with a soft lob.

Schmid said Schelotto even played fine defense.

"He's always helping the team," the coach said.

An example was the play leading to the Crew's first goal, when Schelotto stole the ball from Dave van den Bergh just as it was about to go over the right sideline and tapped it to Moreno. Moreno sprinted into a dribble as defender Diego Jimenez scurried back, but Moreno outraced him and, when goalie Denny Cepero had to commit, Moreno kicked the ball across the mouth and it rolled into the net just inside the left post.

"He (Schelotto) has such great instincts," Schmid said. "The ball that was going out of bounds there, he's got the presence to know to react to the play quickly. It's those decisive moments that turn games."

<DIV ="in_info_">
<DIV ="in_info__btm">Both Columbus and New York were original members of the MLS when it began in 1996, and both were playing in the league championship game for the first time.

They took quite different paths to the showdown. The Crew finished with a 17-7-6 record that was the best during the regular season, while the Red Bulls went 10-11-9 and were the lowest-seeded team in the postseason.

Hejduk, a member of the Tampa Bay Mutiny in the MLS' inaugural season, was appearing in his first league title match. He closed the scoring in the 82nd minute.

"To be honest, I can't wait to have a beer, hang out and party with my friends," the 34-year-old Hejduk said in the interview room. "It's a little bit surreal right now."

Wolyniec scored on a bang-bang play in the box. Dane Richards dribbled through defenders Brad Evans and Gino Padula just outside the box, popped the ball in and Wolyniec redirected it into the goal with his left foot.

The Crew's season-crowning championship completed an impressive turnaround from last year, when they went 9-11-10.

<DIV id=talk_back_community>
<DIV id=tb>
Edited by: Solomon Kane

blue_mentos

It was a great game, and the Crew deserved to win, as they were the best team all year. Congrats to them and the city of Columbus.

Keith Lincoln

The RedBull coach Juan Osorio, has consistently played Latin American players who were terrible, and refused to bench them, even when they deserved to be named MVP for the opposing teams. Hence, their losing regular season record. He only replaced the 3 Latin Americans whom he brought to the team (at an extremely high price for the MLS) when the playoffs began, replacing them with white players. It resulted in the team reaching the finals . However, before the MLS cup, Osorio's obsession with Latin Americans unfortunately returned. He again decided to play the Mexican reject (name is unimportant) at left back. The Mexican's 9 year old girls AYSO level defense was responsible for the first Columbus goal. In soccer, white hatred by announcers and analysists has not reached the level of other sports in the US, which is one reason watching the MLS is more enjoyable in my opinion. John Harkes, a famous white former US national team player questioned why Osorio, didn't start Andrew Boyens a white defensive player from New Zealand. Boyens had been the starter but was out missed one or two games due to injury. Harkes wondered why since Boyens was now 100% was the Mexican still in the starting lineup. The result of Osorio's stupid decision were the goals by Moreno and Marshall. Boyens who is 6'4 or taller would have been able to stay with Marshall and probably prevented the second Columbus goal. Boyens certainly would have played much better than the Mex reject and not allowed Moreno to go in unmolested for the first Columbus goal. The Red Bull post season story provided alittle good news in the ocean of anti-white discrimination in pro and big time college sports we hear and see on a daily basis. When 3 whites who who were considered lacking the talent, and experience, got a chance they took the Red Bulls to the finals.

blue_mentos

good points Keith Lincoln. as a Fire fanatic, I have a big disliking of Osorio. He inherited a fairly talented squad and somehow managed to turn it into a pretty terrible team for most of the season. I have to give them credit for how they played against Houston in the first cup round, but it was almost like RSL let them win with the amount of blown chances they had in a game that they thoughouly dominated. I am also glad that the MLS isn't at the point of non-white advocation that the rest of this nation's leagues are. For most of the season the Crew started no blacks (very rare in pro sports) and I think only two hispanics on average. I'm also happy that announcers are fair in their assessment in terms of player speed and agility. For every time they credited the Red Bull's black speedy winger (forget his name at this time), they also brought in Robbie Roger's pace, calling it elite. This seems consistent across the board, and its a shame that one of the constantly praised speedsters, Donovan, looks to be heading abroad next season. I think he's developed as much as he will in this league and it's probably a good move for him personally, but as a fan of the league, its hard to say goodbye to arguably MLS's best player.

guest301

Hall of Famer
blue_mentos said:
good points Keith Lincoln. as a Fire fanatic, I have a big disliking of Osorio. He inherited a fairly talented squad and somehow managed to turn it into a pretty terrible team for most of the season. I have to give them credit for how they played against Houston in the first cup round, but it was almost like RSL let them win with the amount of blown chances they had in a game that they thoughouly dominated. I am also glad that the MLS isn't at the point of non-white advocation that the rest of this nation's leagues are. For most of the season the Crew started no blacks (very rare in pro sports) and I think only two hispanics on average. I'm also happy that announcers are fair in their assessment in terms of player speed and agility. For every time they credited the Red Bull's black speedy winger (forget his name at this time), they also brought in Robbie Roger's pace, calling it elite. This seems consistent across the board, and its a shame that one of the constantly praised speedsters, Donovan, looks to be heading abroad next season. I think he's developed as much as he will in this league and it's probably a good move for him personally, but as a fan of the league, its hard to say goodbye to arguably MLS's best player.

I also noticed that whenever Dane Richards pace is brought up, the announcer will usually mention Robbie Rodgers in the same breath. It would be nice to see in the MLS all-star game a little 60 yard race during the skills competition. The first four guys I would enter would be Richards, Donovan,Rogers and Hejduk. Are there any other MLS guys you would put in that race? Edited by: guest301

blue_mentos

Yup. Richards is who I was thinking of. I think competition like that would be fun. I know they used to do some games like that such as fastest shot. I think those four would be fine candidates, however, Frankie's pace isn't what it used to be during his prime years. I think Marvel Wynne always pops up in speed discussions, and players like Chris Rolfe and Taylor Twellman look very fast with the ball at their feet, so it would be interesting to see these guys all go at it.

Robbie Rogers has seemingly come out of nowhere this year and I firmly believe that the future of the USA team will be around him and Sacha Kljestan as these guys are top of the line and are still u-23. Huge huge potential for this guy.

guest301

Hall of Famer
blue_mentos said:
Yup. Richards is who I was thinking of. I think competition like that would be fun. I know they used to do some games like that such as fastest shot. I think those four would be fine candidates, however, Frankie's pace isn't what it used to be during his prime years. I think Marvel Wynne always pops up in speed discussions, and players like Chris Rolfe and Taylor Twellman look very fast with the ball at their feet, so it would be interesting to see these guys all go at it.

Robbie Rogers has seemingly come out of nowhere this year and I firmly believe that the future of the USA team will be around him and Sacha Kljestan as these guys are top of the line and are still u-23. Huge huge potential for this guy.

I like the point you made about speed with the ball at their feet. If they ever do this speed contest at the MLS skills competition, that should be the criteria, how fast are you while dribbling the ball down the pitch with your feet.
I am also excited about young stars like Rogers, Kljestan and lets throw in Kenny Cooper as well.

blue_mentos

yea. maybe have cones every 5 or so yards to create a zone that you have to make a touch on the ball within or something. I like Cooper as well. He is still a bit raw, but hopefully can complete his game. He has always had the air presence. He just needs to work on his dexterity a bit and working well in close quarters.

guest301

Hall of Famer
blue_mentos said:
yea. maybe have cones every 5 or so yards to create a zone that you have to make a touch on the ball within or something. I like Cooper as well. He is still a bit raw, but hopefully can complete his game. He has always had the air presence. He just needs to work on his dexterity a bit and working well in close quarters.

Kenny Cooper is a younger, bigger stronger version of Brian McBride with more pace. The national team needs the traditional european type of striker who's tall, strong, can hold the ball while getting bumped and outstanding on corner kicks and other set pieces. Brian Ching has tried to be that guy with moderate success but I think Cooper has more upside.