Clint Eastwood-Gran Torino

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
The most pathetic thing about whigger males is that there is no other way to look at them but with contempt mixed with pity, because they are losers through and through.

To decent white males, the whigger is a turncoat and an inconceivable freak. A wannabe, a weakling, a follower and a poseur.

To blacks, the whigger is nothing more than someone to be mocked -- to his face possibly, behind his back most definitely -- even when blacks befriend whiggers, the whigger in question will be exploited at every opportunity, whether it's constant hit ups for cash, or access to his sister and her white girlfriends.

No one likes a whigger, in the same way that no one respects a turncoat. Whiggers will be used for what they have, but no one will ever like them, really.

It's not surprising a weak white boy whigger in that movie refused to stand up for his woman -- not only that, but tried to be friends with their attackers. Any decent white man would have spat in those animals' faces and said "you'll get to her over my dead body," and would have taken at least two of the thugs down with him, one with a broken neck, the other with car keys jammed straight into his brain through his eyes.

beautiful, just beautiful! it's like poetry! *rubs a tear from his eye* excellent post, Gio!
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
guest301 said:
I have enjoyed reading all these posts and am glad to know so many have already seen the movie and recommend it to others. I wanted to make another observation about the movie not mentioned so far here. I may be wrong about this but of the 50 or so racial epithets uttered in this movie I don't remember the "N" word spoken once. I personally never use that word but don't appreciate how that word has exalted status over every other racial epithet. Does anybody else remember Eastwood using that word in the movie maybe when he was confronting those three black hoodlums on the street corner? I know he used spade and spook. Whats funny is even when the white old timers were speaking to each other in the movie, they used words like polock, dago and irish mic as if they were nothing, no big deal.

I just saw Dirty Harry the other day, hadn't seen it for a while. In one part of the movie the police chief is introducing him to his new partner, a Mexican, Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) is none too thrilled. The police chief tells the other guy "don't worry about it, Harry doesn't like anybody: chinks, micks, spades, dago's...."
The guy asks Harry: "What about latinos?"
Harry replies: "Especially spics!"

Thats a funny line,
smiley36.gif
I personally had never heard of the words polock, dago and spic till I started watching All In the Family as a teenager.

Great posts about the pathetic whigger in this movie, Giovani.

It was filmed in Detroit because of the Michigan tax breaks for Hollywood.

There's a Hmong population in Pontiac.

DWFan

Mentor
I've known some wiggers that were really nice guys. They'd stand up for/with you, and would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. This is a small minority of the ones I've known, though...and even with them, I don't have the slightest clue what makes them tick. I just don't understand what they're thinking.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
The most pathetic thing about whigger males is that there is no other way to look at them but with contempt mixed with pity, because they are losers through and through.

To decent white males, the whigger is a turncoat and an inconceivable freak. A wannabe, a weakling, a follower and a poseur.

To blacks, the whigger is nothing more than someone to be mocked -- to his face possibly, behind his back most definitely -- even when blacks befriend whiggers, the whigger in question will be exploited at every opportunity, whether it's constant hit ups for cash, or access to his sister and her white girlfriends.

No one likes a whigger, in the same way that no one respects a turncoat. Whiggers will be used for what they have, but no one will ever like them, really.

It's not surprising a weak white boy whigger in that movie refused to stand up for his woman -- not only that, but tried to be friends with their attackers. Any decent white man would have spat in those animals' faces and said "you'll get to her over my dead body," and would have taken at least two of the thugs down with him, one with a broken neck, the other with car keys jammed straight into his brain through his eyes.

Excellent analysis!
smiley32.gif
You missed the fact that most of the wiggers probably enjoy "servicing" their beloved breathren as well (as they're "naturally included to punk)!
smiley36.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Just saw this movie yesterday. Great movie its too bad this is likely Clint's last movie, because it will be a while before we see such a strong willed white character.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One reason I've grown to like mob movies is because at least the characters are tough, strong-willed White men. Other than the rare movie like Gran Torino, that species is pretty much extinct. I don't support organized crime of course, or the cartoonish levels of violence portrayed in this genre (the Soprano crew were whacking someone with impunity practically every show), but to see White men who don't take crap from anyone is refreshing when every other White man is portrayed by the media as stupid, weak, a nerd, or as a criminal or scumbag of one kind or another.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
One reason I've grown to like mob movies is because at least the characters are tough, strong-willed White men.  Other than the rare movie like Gran Torino, that species is pretty much extinct.  I don't support organized crime of course, or the cartoonish levels of violence portrayed in this genre (the Soprano crew were whacking someone with impunity practically every show), but to see White men who don't take crap from anyone is refreshing when every other White man is portrayed by the media as stupid, weak, a nerd, or as a criminal or scumbag of one kind or another.

I never got into the whole Sopranos thing but there was a show called "Wiseguy" starring Ken Wahl as a Italian FBI undercover agent infiltrating the mob that I thought was pretty good and I started to like mob movies after I got hooked on that show. There was one scene where Vinny(Wahl)and Sonny Steelgrave(mob boss) got out of their car and took baseball bats and beat down the four black thugs that had been following them by car with orders to kill them. To see two tough white guys take on four black thugs and beat them down like that was something that I had rarely if ever had seen on TV before. It stuck with me. I recommend to others here at CF to watch that first season of Wiseguy on dvd.Edited by: guest301

The Hock

Master
With the Soprano's the stuff with Tony's home life got tedious after a while. What also bugged me was all the racial mixing and matching. Tony's daugher had a black boyfriend, his son had a Puerto Rican girlfriend (who looked like she could beat him up)Paulie had a Puerto Rican girlfriend, and Tony's Jewish loanshark associate was shacked up with with a black woman.

I realize these things happen in real life, but not near as often as the show portrayed. Somebody had an agenda and they weren't very subtle about serving it up to the viewer.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I hadn't thought about the mob movies being portrayals of strong white men. It's true though. I'll have to check more of them out. Except the cartoonish violence is a turn off for me. Technically Bruce Willis, Arnold, Van Damm, Stallone, and others are making the same kind of movie. Russell Crowe and Mel Gibson do too. I liked Tom Cruise in Valkyrie, he played a strong figure, and a real life one too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Hock said:
With the Soprano's the stuff with Tony's home life got tedious after a while. What also bugged me was all the racial mixing and matching. Tony's daugher had a black boyfriend, his son had a Puerto Rican girlfriend (who looked like she could beat him up)Paulie had a Puerto Rican girlfriend, and Tony's Jewish loanshark associate was shacked up with with a black woman.

I realize these things happen in real life, but not near as often as the show portrayed. Somebody had an agenda and they weren't very subtle about serving it up to the viewer.

The Soprano children were very annoying, especially the son, who was a miserable wimp about half the size of his hulking father.

There was a lot of race-mixing but also a fair amount of anti-black attitudes expressed. Tony told the daughter's half-black boyfriend that he wasn't wanted. Slur words for blacks were occasionally heard. There was a fair amount of racially charged encounters too, with the mobsters usually doing quite well. There was a "noble" black councilman type too, who turned out to be the typical paid-off political hack with no scruples. And other than the occasional race-mixing, none of the main characters seemed to have any black friends or any social interaction with them at all.

jaxvid said:
I hadn't thought about the mob movies being portrayals of strong white men. It's true though. I'll have to check more of them out. Except the cartoonish violence is a turn off for me. Technically Bruce Willis, Arnold, Van Damm, Stallone, and others are making the same kind of movie. Russell Crowe and Mel Gibson do too. I liked Tom Cruise in Valkyrie, he played a strong figure, and a real life one too.
Mobsters have always been strong white guys, they don't give a crap who you as long as you don't go against them. I hope movies like the Godfather, and Goodfellas make a strong comeback in Holleywood, I'm getting sick and tired of these gay</span> 3-D cartoons</span>. It will provide a good stimulus for young white males. Gran Torino sure seems to be a good sign, Clint Eastwood happens your old school tough white guy.
Edited by: indianwhite

jaxvid said:

All of those actors you mentioned have made very good movies with strong portrayals of white men. Those types of movies still come out, but it seems that white men playing the lead role has dramatically declined in just the last 8 years even. White women have been a popular subsitute recently, as well blacks of course, and fictional comic-book characters, etc.

One exception I can think of is the Bourne series. Now I do not care for Matt Damon at all from a personal standpoint, because he's always there to champion liberal-PC-Multicultural causes. But the character he played in those movies was simply indefatigable. Although I think the reason he was kicking so much ass was due to manipulation by evil white men.

As much as anyone here, I cannot stand the Pauli Shore/Andy Dick portrayal of white characters. It is quite upsetting too to see so many movies where Will Smith plays the hero, even though I enjoy the storyline itself.

G

You have to ask, who produces these movies? Its one thing critique the dreck that is hurled at white men, but that tactic has limited usefulness, it leaves us as reactionairies. But to ask who, whom and what is to find and destroy the hive from where this sh*t comes from.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Don Wassall said:
One reason I've grown to like mob movies is because at least the characters are tough, strong-willed White men.  Other than the rare movie like Gran Torino, that species is pretty much extinct.  I don't support organized crime of course, or the cartoonish levels of violence portrayed in this genre (the Soprano crew were whacking someone with impunity practically every show), but to see White men who don't take crap from anyone is refreshing when every other White man is portrayed by the media as stupid, weak, a nerd, or as a criminal or scumbag of one kind or another.

I never got into the whole Sopranos thing but there was a show called "Wiseguy" starring Ken Wahl as a Italian FBI undercover agent infiltrating the mob that I thought was pretty good and I started to like mob movies after I got hooked on that show. There was one scene where Vinny(Wahl)and Sonny Steelgrave(mob boss) got out of their car and took baseball bats and beat down the four black thugs that had been following them by car with orders to kill them. To see two tough white guys take on four black thugs and beat them down like that was something that I had rarely if ever had seen on TV before. It stuck with me. I recommend to others here at CF to watch that first season of Wiseguy on dvd.

Wiseguy! Pretty good show. I had a manager who looked like a cross between Ken Wahl & Angus Macfadyen(Braveheart, Saw 3-5).
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
guest301 said:
Don Wassall said:

I never got into the whole Sopranos thing but there was a show called "Wiseguy" starring Ken Wahl as a Italian FBI undercover agent infiltrating the mob that I thought was pretty good and I started to like mob movies after I got hooked on that show. There was one scene where Vinny(Wahl)and Sonny Steelgrave(mob boss) got out of their car and took baseball bats and beat down the four black thugs that had been following them by car with orders to kill them. To see two tough white guys take on four black thugs and beat them down like that was something that I had rarely if ever had seen on TV before. It stuck with me. I recommend to others here at CF to watch that first season of Wiseguy on dvd.

Wiseguy! Pretty good show. I had a manager who looked like a cross between Ken Wahl & Angus Macfadyen(Braveheart, Saw 3-5).
smiley36.gif

Yes it was a pretty good show until they got rid of Wahl and brought in the Cuban character, Steven Bauer to take his place, it just wasn't the same anymore.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
DixieDestroyer said:
Wiseguy! Pretty good show. I had a manager who looked like a cross between Ken Wahl &amp; Angus Macfadyen(Braveheart, Saw 3-5).
smiley36.gif

I've seen Braveheart at least a half dozen times.Macfadyen did a great job in his role. Channel surfing recently, I saw him in some recent cheap indy film. He was overweight and was playing some total loser. I know it's all just acting but I was disappointed to see him in suchan undignifiedrole;sadlynoble charactersare few and far between for white men in the movies.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
DixieDestroyer said:
smiley36.gif

I've seen Braveheart at least a half dozen times. Macfadyen did a great job in his role.  Channel surfing recently, I saw him in some recent cheap indy film.  He was overweight and was playing some total loser.  I know it's all just acting but I was disappointed to see him in such an undignified role; sadly noble characters are few and far between for white men in the movies. 

Good point. I have seen the actor who played King Theoden in the Lord of the Rings play some pretty scuzzy and low rent characters in other movies. I sometimes like to think when a actor plays a great role in a movie, maybe a heroic role that somehow playing that part will rub off on the actor in his real life. Most of the time, it doesn't seem to work that way.
I thought Heath Ledger played the great role of Gabriel in the movie that Mel Gibson starred in called "Patriot" about the revolutionary war. Heath really played a stand up guy in that film, war hero and he fought with honor, putting country first even above his family at the time. But then he went on and starred in that gay film "Brokeback Mountain" and ended up killing himself last year. What a waste.