Clay Matthews, OLB

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Matthews may have an even better season this year. From Weenieworld:

Clay Matthews played the second half of last season with a stress fracture in his lower leg.

From Week 9 through the NFC Championship Game, Matthews was listed as "probable" on the injury report with a shin injury. It turns out that he was playing through a small fracture that entire time, which could help explain why he had just four sacks in Weeks 9-17 after racking up 10 in Weeks 1-8. It's scary to think what Matthews can do now that he's at 100 percent.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Clay w/ an INT in the Pro Bowl. :)

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Clay has 61 sacks in his first six years as a pro! Hoping for a big 2015 for the Claymaker!

Joe

The (((media))) is really coming after Clay, stating he's getting slow, not as effective, the same BS as last year with Jordy Nelson.

Truthteller

Mentor
Earlier this week white outside linebackers/edge rushers Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed retired on consecutive days.

Social justice warrior Barwin, a good friend of Chris Long, was in the same draft class as Clay in 2009. In retrospect, the "experts" and the DWF's agree that was a terrible draft, in terms of busts. Black busts to be more specific. All of the white defensive players drafted in the top couple rounds had very good careers -- Brian Cushing (1st round), Clay (1st round), Laurinaitis (#35 overall), Barwin and Paul Kruger. All are retired, except for Clay who is the last one standing, for now?

Will Clay III get an 11th season in Green Bay? Would be great to see him finish his career with the team that drafted him, but he did have a disappointing 2018 season, by his standards -- only 3.5 sacks in 16 starts. His first 9 years in the league he averaged about 9 per season. Also, with the emergence of white outside linebacker Kyler Fackrell it's possible his playing time might be severely limited with the Packers.

Perhaps moving on might be best for him? His former position coach/NFL mentor Kevin Greene had a similar lull in his career and was able to re-jump start his career after he left the Los Angles Rams for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the mid-1990's. Next he wound up starring for the then expansion Carolina Panthers. Greene is in the NFL Hall of Fame because he was able to accumulate sacks in Pittsburgh and Carolina. Clay III is the son of Clay II, who left Cleveland after 13 or 14 seasons (I don't remember of hand?) and was able to extend his career elsewhere in the NFL after Belichick let him go. Clay senior lasted almost two decades as an NFL linebacker.

Clay III needs 16.5 more sacks for 100. If he gets it, his chances of making the Hall of Fame go up. Kevin Greene, who was recently let go as Jets linebacker coach, had 160 sacks over 15 seasons.

Where Clay II might land, who knows? Patriots and Jets make some sense? Rams, Giants, Chargers? Who knows? But I hope he does get to re-jump start his career?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Id like to see Clay finish his career in Green n Gold. He had a down year but I'd keep him around as a spot starter/rotation guy. It would bode well for him if GB can somehow move Nick Perry and his huge contract(4+yrs 40mil) and bring back Clay on a 1yr 5mil type deal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Earlier this week white outside linebackers/edge rushers Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed retired on consecutive days.

Reed and Barwin were both released; they didn't retire. I think you meant to type "released" instead of "retired." Reed was signed today by the Cardinals to a one-year $2 million deal.

As far as Matthews, he's been on the decline for several years now and isn't nearly the force on the field he used to be. His father and his uncle Bruce were two of the most durable, long-playing players in NFL history.

What has Barwin received in exchange for playing the role of "good goy" and being a virtue signaling SJW? Neutrality from the (((media))) instead of negative articles like the ones targeting Clay Matthews?

People are selling out for less and less these days. Remember when Judas at least got 30 pieces of silver out of it?

Joe

Id like to see Clay finish his career in Green n Gold. He had a down year but I'd keep him around as a spot starter/rotation guy. It would bode well for him if GB can somehow move Nick Perry and his huge contract(4+yrs 40mil) and bring back Clay on a 1yr 5mil type deal.

Clay really didn't have a down year, Pettine admittedly used him in more pass coverage. Which should tell you the secondary was a sham as usual, even though Black DB coach is lauded as the next Vince Lombardi by the Packer's (((sports writers)))

Joe

What has Barwin received in exchange for playing the role of "good goy" and being a virtue signaling SJW? Neutrality from the (((media))) instead of negative articles like the ones targeting Clay Matthews?

People are selling out for less and less these days. Remember when Judas at least got 30 pieces of silver out of it?

Good post, I thought I was the only one that felt like this about the (((media))) coverage.