Christophe Lemaitre "White Lightning" 9.92 and 19.80! -- Part Two

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Just an FYI . . .
Christophe Lemaitre ran 6.87. The slowest time of the 12 participants.
I don't know why he even bothers.

I shouldn't have said that, because it's obvious why Lemaitre bothers . . . to collect an appearance fee!
There's no love of the sport and desire to compete there. And I don't believe there ever was with Lemaitre. That was his biggest problem.
You know he's only 31 yrs old. Guliyev is the same age. Bingtian Su is a year older. They both competed individually at the Tokyo Olympics last year.

Imagine if Matthew Boling never improved after this year. Imagine that this year will be his all-time peak, and he will go downhill starting next year.
Wouldn't that be disappointing?! He's only 21 yrs old!
But that's what happened with Lemaitre. He ran his PBs at the age of 21.
Bingtian Su ran his 100m PB at the age of 31
Guliyev ran his 100m PB at the age of 27, and his 200m at the age of 28.

That's what so annoying about Lemaitre. He had more potential than anyone, including Boling; and it was his lack of desire, determination, and dedication (not injuries, opportunities, or bad luck) that left his huge potential unfilled.

Yes, he was perhaps the greatest white sprinter of the past several decades; yes, he was the first sub-10 white sprinter; yes, he won bronze medals in the 200m at the Olympics and World Championships . . . . but he could have, should have, done so much more.
He had once in a lifetime talent, and he only needed to dedicate himself to harnessing that talent. But he didn't. He didn't have the desire.
So for me, that leaves a bitter taste.
But I understand that for many of you, the taste is different.

Last edited:

freedom1

Mentor
Lematire was pure natural ability. I don't know that there was ever any training involved. I remember how we used to joke about his lame training. He just didn't want to be bothered with all that painful/hard work, professional coach stuff. He was a drug free, genetic freak who ran on once in a generation natural talent.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Lematire was pure natural ability. I don't know that there was ever any training involved. I remember how we used to joke about his lame training. He just didn't want to be bothered with all that painful/hard work, professional coach stuff. He was a drug free, genetic freak who ran on once in a generation natural talent.

Very well said and it's so true. He was just born to run and could do so effortlessly without even having much strength. The stronger he got the slower he became. What a natural
born wonder kid. It's a shame he didn't last longer but he left us memories to last a lifetime and I thank him for that. Congrats on a good career Christophe Lemaitre. One of the longest and most popular threads on this board ever. We had start a 2nd part of the Lemaitre Thread. Amazing Sprinter and I wish we would see him at his peak 1 last time. We
won't but at least we have videos to look back on his 1 to 2 years of greatness where he was actually feared by most sprinters on earth because of his talent!

sprintstar

Mentor
None of will ever know what was and is in his mind when it comes to track and sprinting. Could he have done better? Yes Should he have done better? Yes Will we ever know the truth? not unless he tells us...plain and simple.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Pierre Carraz, the coach of Christophe Lemaitre died 4 months ago.
I don't know how much credit he should get for Lemaitre's success; but I have to think he played a significant role in Lemaitre's shortcomings. Of course, I can only speculate. We don't know what his coaching and training were like, and because he and Lemaitre did so in France, it was even harder to know. But there will always be that strong feeling of what might have been....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't know how much credit he should get for Lemaitre's success; but I have to think he played a significant role in Lemaitre's shortcomings. Of course, I can only speculate. We don't know what his coaching and training were like, and because he and Lemaitre did so in France, it was even harder to know. But there will always be that strong feeling of what might have been....

God bless Pierre Carraz and his family. I'm sure Christophe took this very hard. They were very close. I think Pierre helped to keep
the very shy introverted Christophe comfortable in large social settings. He was always painfully shy and being in the spotlight had
to be very hard. Then add on the fact that he was the first white to ever go sub 10 and sub 20 it was a media and fan circus. Very hard
for a socially akward kid. What a talent and yes there were a good match despite us all wanting more. May he rest in peace.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I have seen a few boxing trainers that only trained amateurs take a pro to the top but after the pro's career stalls usually the two part ways. Lemaitre didn't seem to have that single mindedness that all champions have. As others have stated winning two individual bronze medals at the world level is a significant under achievement for somebody of his talent.

Carraz to me was Joe Martin staying with Clay/Ali and guiding his pro career. I don't think that rural French club had any other world level sprinters in there history and might not have had many national level sprinters either.

PS I do think Lemaitre was robbed of another bronze in the 100 meters as there is NO way the "Monster" was clean in Seoul in 11'.

mastermulti

Master
God bless Pierre Carraz and his family. I'm sure Christophe took this very hard. They were very close. I think Pierre helped to keep
the very shy introverted Christophe comfortable in large social settings. He was always painfully shy and being in the spotlight had
to be very hard. Then add on the fact that he was the first white to ever go sub 10 and sub 20 it was a media and fan circus. Very hard
for a socially akward kid. What a talent and yes there were a good match despite us all wanting more. May he rest in peace.
hear, hear!