Chris Long -- DE

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chris Long is a star defensive end for Virginia about to begin his junior year. He is the son of Hall of Fame DE Howie Long. Although we tend to focus on the failure (refusal) of I-A programs to recruit star white running backs, receivers and defensive backs, the discrimination against whites exists at all positions (except kickers lol).

Chris Long is not only the son of a great defensive end who is constantly in the public eye because of his television and movie gigs,Chris was an outstanding high school player in his own right, who as a senior was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Virginia and a SuperPrep All-American. Yet Virginia was the only school to offer him a scholarship. Sound familiar? It's notby accidentthat defenses in the NFL are 90 percent black.

Story: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06242/717367-233.stm

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point Don, and right on as usual. Last night I saw part of the Detroit-San Diego game on TV, and noted how rare the white DT was for the Chargers. I can't remember his name, but he's been in the league for a number of years. It was nice to see even 2-3 whites on their defense in the 1st quarter.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chris Long, son of Hall of Famer Howie,is being predicted by "draft gurus" to be a first round NFL draft choice in 2008. Unfortunately his younger brother Kyle, an offensive and defensive lineman rated the number one (high school)junior football prospect in Virginia by at least one newspaper, has decided to play college baseball instead of college football. According to this article dozens of programs had offered Long a football scholarship. At 6-7 and 280 lbs. he seems ideal for football rather than baseball but what do I know?

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/117191

whiteCB

Master
Yeah I was sorry to hear that. I think a big factor for guys such as kyle long and Smardjiza is that they see baseball as just taking less of a toll on the body. They see these football player's bodies just get totally beat up and they see baseball players having it a little easier. I guess to each their own but I would have to pick playing in front of 70,000+ fans every weekend than your average baseball game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Long is 18th on Mel Kiper's first 2007 "Big Board." Draft Daddy, perceptive as always, comments on how the Caste media is reluctant to credit Long with athleticism:

DD.Comment: We know Long is getting a lot praise from scouts for his "technique" and "motor", but let's not forget this kid is an elite athlete for his size. It's well known that he was absolute dunking machine when he played basketball as a teen. Also, if you watch him on tape, you see excellent sideline to sideline quickness, as well as the strong vertical leap.

Here's Kiper's Big Board. LB Dan Connor of Penn State is #12. He also has Tommy Z ranked first among safeties, and almost all the top QBs look to be white again this year in I-A. At "fullback" Kiper has Peyton Hillis and Owen Schmitt ranked 1 and 2 Jacob Hester is ranked 5th. It looks like Brian Leonard's saga has done nothing to change the typecasting of all white running backs as "fullbacks."

1. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (6-3, 223)
Polished pure passer in the Jim Kelly mold.

2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan (6-6, 320)
Top drawer left or right tackle prospect.

3. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU (6-2, 292)
Disruptive force along the interior.

4. Sam Baker, OT, USC (6-4½, 310)
Exceptional pass blocker with superb technique.

5. Early Doucet, WR, LSU (5-11½, 205)
Super talented, becomes LSU's go-to option in 2007.

6. Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky (6-5, 232)
Big and mobile with a rocket arm.

7. Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College (6-6½, 320)
Should thrive with move from right to left tackle in 2007.

8. Frank Okam, DT, Texas (6-5, 318)
Great physical ability and overall potential.

9. Keith Rivers, LB, USC (6-3, 233)
Has the skill set to become a super blue chipper.

10. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona (5-11, 183)
Experienced cover man who thrives on a challenge.

11. Chad Henne, QB, Michigan (6-2, 222)
Can make all the throws, but needs more consistency.

12. Dan Connor, LB, Penn St. (6-2½, 231)
Big-play performer who finds the ball.

13. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (6-1, 297)
Tampa Bay Bucs style DT with superior quickness and non-stop motor.

14. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas (6-4, 217)
TD-maker who plays fast with pads on.

15. Terrell Thomas, CB, USC (6-0, 200)
Proven cover corner who is both steady and reliable.

16. DJ Hall, WR, Alabama (6-2½,, 189)
Big-play wideout who has shown improvement every year with the Crimson Tide.

17. Bruce Davis, LB, UCLA (6-3, 241)
Combo DE/OLB, ideal as a pass rusher off the edge in a 3-4 scheme.

18. Chris Long, DE, Virgina (6-4, 282)
3-4 DE with great bloodlines who understands leverage and uses his hands as well as any D-lineman in the country.

19. Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii (6-2, 198)
Thrives in QB friendly system with his quick release and above-average arm.

20. Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC (6-4, 268)
Pass rusher who needs to build on strong second half from last season.

21. Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose St. (5-11½, 193)
Ball-hawk with great anticipation and awareness.

22. Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville (5-10½, 175)
Underrated, bringing speed, toughness and great hands to the WR spot.

23. Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson (6-6, 335)
This should be the year the talented bookend maximizes his potential.

24. Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky (6-1½, 195)
Athletic, versatile and tough with a high concentration level.

25. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton, (6-5½, 290)
Intriguing Division I-AA prospect due to his size, athleticism and natural pass-rush ability.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Long is up to 4th on Kiper's big board. he comes off two great games in last three weeks, here's what Kiper had to say about him. he won ACC PotW for his performance, his coach said he's unblockable and called him a best player in college football.

thanks to draftdaddy for providing a link!

ncf_g_clong_200.jpg

Chris has 10 sacks, 1 interception, 7 pass break ups, 6 QB hurries, 1 FF and 1 blocked kick on the season
smiley32.gif

Edited by: backrow

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow Howie Long's son; I am amazed at the consistency that athletic genes are passed down from parents to kids. I'd like to read a study on this.

P.S: I wonder if Howie will ever give caste treatment to white defensive ends again. Maybe that's the trick to get more whites in the NFL, sons of hall of fame players=name recognition=non caste treatment.

hedgehog

Mentor
I watched him the last two weeks, he reminds me of Keith Millard. Very quick off the snap, excellent technique and strength. I think he could play tackle or end at the next level.

backrow

Hall of Famer
man, i was trying to watch Chris Long and Virginia vs VT but i can't listen to these announcers masturbating each other over VT's black QB
smiley11.gif
"magical", "pure athletic ability" "Michael Vick in making" etc...

well, forced myself to watch it anyway, and it was worth it: Chris Long just got his 13th sack of the year and forced a fumble, too!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: backrow

White Power

Mentor
Yeah the espn announcers play with themselves while watching the brotha athletes perform it's the only way the can make sure they keep their jobs.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Chris Long was honored today on Fox's pregame show and it was said that he was a definite top 5 pick in the NFL Draft. Howie must be a proud father seeing his son's number retired and Chris honored in a ceremony by Virginia yesterday. I believe that was what they said on the pre-game show.