CF Player of the Week 6

Who was the best white player of the week?

• Wes Welker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Walter

• Kevin Curtis

• Chris Cooley

• Aaron Kampman

• Total voters

backrow

Hall of Famer
1. Wes Welker, WR Patriots: he had career high 11 catches for 124 yards and 2 TDs! he also added 5 nice returns, for 18.4 avg

2. Kevin Walter, WR Texans: career best 12 passes for 160 yards, led all receivers this week

3. Kevin Curtis, WR Eagles: 5 catches for 121 yards, 1 TD

4. Chris Cooley, TE Redskins: career high 9 catches and his first career 100 yard game (105) plus 1 TD

5. Aaron Kampman, Packers: 9 tackles, 2 sacks

Previous winners:

Week 1: Matt Giordano, S Colts
Week 2: Barrett Ruud, LB Buccaneers
Week 3: Kevin Curtis, WR Eagles
Week 4: Dallas Clark, TE Colts
Week 5: Brian Leonard, RB Rams

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Gotta go with my avatar (for this week).

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Walter. Did more with less playing for the Texans than Wes did with the Patriots. Welker is actually being acknowledged around the league and in the media as a pretty good receiver, whereas most people think Walter is a scrub. Biggest caste breaker of the week gets my vote - Kevin Walter.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If I had seen Walter play this week, I may have voted for him, but Wes did it on nationwide TV and got into the endzone twice plus racked up serious return yardage.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Walter and Welker are going head to head! i couldn't make up my mind either, but went with Walter, just because EVERYONE doubted this guy. he is a real caste victim proving the system wrong, in my eyes.

Kaptain

Master
I had to go with Walter because weeks from now we can still point out how many white recievers have led the league in recieving weekly.

Welker's performance was a very close second. He makes every catch look so easy and then immediately is running down the field. It seems like he is always open catches everything that is thrown his way. It's not all just being a patriot either, Welker seemed to do the same thing with Harrington as his quarterback last year. He is actually better than even I thought.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"It's not all just being a patriot either, Welker seemed to do the same thing with Harrington as his quarterback last year. He is actually better than even I thought."

Me too, I thought Wes Welker was in the Brandon Stokley mold. Not true. He has much better speed and quickness than Stokley, and seems stronger, tougher, and infinately more durable.

I just loved how a white WR torched the crappy Dallas secondary on a national stage this past sunday. Roy Williams is possible the worst cover safety of all time, Newman has injury problems and has been getting burned every sunday since he came into the league, and Henry actually isnt too bad from what I've seen. If you watched the game, the Cowboys contained Randy Moss for a long time, but Wes ran by everyone ALL game long.

I would LOVE to see the Pats win the superbowl this season. I mean, look at the positives: Superstar white QB, all-white offensive line, a super-fast white WR, and maybe 3 whites on defense (DE Mike Wright). Good luck Patriots.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Since amazingly explosive and athletic DE Jared Allen, who had 2.5 sacks and a FF last week, isn't one of the options -- I'll vote for a WR.

BTW, Jared Allen is the definition of a Caste breaker!

In the contested battle between Welker and Walter --- my vote goes to Wes Welker!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Since amazingly explosive and athletic DE Jared Allen, who had 2.5 sacks and a FF last week, isn't one of the options -- I'll vote for a WR.

BTW, Jared Allen is the definition of a Caste breaker!

In the contested battle between Welker and Walter --- my vote goes to Wes Welker!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

yeah, it was between Kampman and Allen, with Aaron having more tackles than Jared. i do give him tons of props, as you can see in KC Chiefs forums.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Allen is reminiscent of Keith Millard and Mark Gastineau -- unstoppable!

Kampman is a great player too, always around the QB plus makes lots of tackles.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Walter. Did more with less playing for the Texans than Wes did with the Patriots. Welker is actually being acknowledged around the league and in the media as a pretty good receiver, whereas most people think Walter is a scrub. Biggest caste breaker of the week gets my vote - Kevin Walter.

This is the exact thinking I had when I placed my vote for Walter. Fans were ready to write him off and he came through with a huge game as the go-to receiver. He was probably even being shadowed by a second player with all the injuries the Texans had to their WRs which makes his performance truly amazing. Walter showed he can beat a number one CB in this league and be a go to guy.

Everyone knows Welker is good already. Welker is a second option though in New England and knows his role as the slot WR. Having Randy Moss and Tom Brady on the field with him certainly helps nothing to take away from his performance though, he looked great!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
"It's not all just being a patriot either, Welker seemed to do the same thing with Harrington as his quarterback last year. He is actually better than even I thought."

Me too, I thought Wes Welker was in the Brandon Stokley mold. Not true. He has much better speed and quickness than Stokley, and seems stronger, tougher, and infinately more durable.

I just loved how a white WR torched the crappy Dallas secondary on a national stage this past sunday. Roy Williams is possible the worst cover safety of all time, Newman has injury problems and has been getting burned every sunday since he came into the league, and Henry actually isnt too bad from what I've seen. If you watched the game, the Cowboys contained Randy Moss for a long time, but Wes ran by everyone ALL game long.

I would LOVE to see the Pats win the superbowl this season. I mean, look at the positives: Superstar white QB, all-white offensive line, a super-fast white WR, and maybe 3 whites on defense (DE Mike Wright). Good luck Patriots.

Welker isn't faster than Stokley. I believe Stokley runs a 4.44, Welker runs in the upper 4.5s. Welker is more elusive and a better route runner though.

It truly is amazing that Welker was given a chance as an undrafted 5'9 white WR who barley cracks 4.6 in the 40 yard dash. I think Welker is one of the very rare white WRs who was treated fairly.

Usually a small white WR has to crack 4.5 in the 40 yard to get a look, even when they do everything else well and are unbelievably productive in college. The NFL scouts don't give white WRs the benefit of the doubt for playing faster than their speed like they do w/ black players when looking at their game tape.

How many Wes Welker type whites are out there that never get a chance? We all know there's lots of them. Welker proves blazing speed surely isn't the most important skill in a WR.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Angelcynn

Guru
Wes Welkers my fave player but I had to go for Kevin Walter because he did get most the most yards in the NFL for week 6 which should open not only the Texans fans eyes but every NFL fan out there who must be thinking 'who is this whiteboy'?

A shout out to Zach Thomas aswell who got 10 tackles and 2 assist, once again leading the Dolphins all black defense bar Roth after coming back from concussion. What an absolute legend!!!
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
It truly is amazing that Welker was given a chance as an undrafted 5'9 white WR who barley cracks 4.6 in the 40 yard dash. I think Welker is one of the very rare white WRs who was treated fairly.

I disagree. Welker was a record setting punt returner for Texas Tech and also a big play wide receiver.He was very elusive and quite fast enough in the "game speed" department. In spite of that he went undrafted, then was cut by San Diego in '05 despite being a standout in training camp and preseason games. He was picked up by Miami, and despite being a standout for the Dolphins in the '05 regular season, Nick Saban was ready to cut him in '06 according to several news reports.

Welker barely survived in the NFL, but because he is such a great player he perservered and eventually thrived. He was one of the lucky ones; Derek Abney, Welker's mirror image in size and big play ability, was summarily dispatched from the NFL after being a late round draft pick by Baltimore. But yes,Welker is just one of a very few white receivers playing in the NFL, the bare tip of what should be a huge iceberg of white wide receivers who have gotten no opportunity at all.Edited by: Don Wassall

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well, we certainly both agree he has game speed. I was pointing out that he doesn't have blazing speed from info I got according to an article that was linked in our forums recently. The article said he was a 4.6 guy in speed. However, it stated that Welker runs the L drill in 3.8 seconds which is a drill that "very elusive players" usually run in about 4 flat, so Welker's 3.8 is off the charts. The article also said that Welker clocks good 10 yard dash times, a great 3 cone and short shuttle times.

That's flat out amazing that Saban almost cut Welker after a good '05 season. Even for Saban that's ridiculous, not that I don't believe it!

G

Welker was never treated fairly. Did anybody watch the Dolphins last year?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Cassiodorus said:
Welker--one tough white man.

He had better be tough. I was reading a Yahoo column and the writer made an observation about Welker.

1. New England Patriots: "Does anyone get pummeled as hard and as frequently as Wes Welker? "

Hmmm.So, does Wes get pounded because he is small and not nifty enough to avoid tacklers, or do the bros make it a point to stop him and punish him if given the chance?