Career Advice

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hey everyone, I figured I would come here to get some good, honest advice and tips from you guys. I am 25 and not to sure what I want to do with my life. I have a year of experience in two different places doing admin type stuff. It does not really interest me to much though. I would like to try and find something I have interest in so I can enjoy going to work instead of making it a menial every day task. How did you guys find your career path? is it something you actually enjoy? Any input would be appreciated.

C Darwin

Mentor
"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance,
the wise grows it under his feet."
James Oppenheim

Bloom where you are planted. Happiness comes from within.

JoeV

Guru
How do you feel about the military? Look into the Air National Guard, and take as many deployments as you can!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Leonardfan said:
I would like to try and find something I have interest in so I can enjoy going to work instead of making it a menial every day task.

What interests you? Only you can answer that.Know what your interests are and then begin researching what kinds of careers those interests can be turned into.

The best but not only way to have a job you really enjoy is to start your own business.Of courseself-employment is not for everyone. Most start-up businesses fail and generally you need to already have the capital to start one, or else you have to go into debt by borrowing. But being able to build something successful from scratch through your own efforts is a source of tremendous satisfaction. In spite of the challenges involved, Americans still have wide economic freedom to fulfill their own destiny, which is a major reason why I haven't given up on this country.

PitBull

Guru
Work is called work for a reason. While its true that you don't want to
hate your job, even people who do enjoy their work find it taxing a lot of
times. There is no paradise.

But to your question--

1) What are your interests? Do you DO anything outside of work that is
productive in some way, like a hobby or serious pursuit?

2) If you want an interesting job that may actually pay well, don't do what
everybody else is doing. If there's too much competition, your ladder is
pretty short. I assume you have already been to college. You might want
to look into starting your own business, something that can't be
offshored. Learning how to sell is a good idea. If you plan on starting a
business, you need that experience.

Most of this stuff is pretty personal and hard to give advice on. It
depends on what you like, what your income expectations are, what your
skills and aptitudes are, and where you live. FWIW, I'm a civil engineer,
and its a decent job. Pays fairly well, I can live practically anywhere and
do that job, and the infrastructure in our country gets worse an worse all
the time, which is a kind of job security/outlook that other jobs don't
have.

Also, you have to realize that a lot of people run into your problem a few
years out of school. You learn the job so its not so new and interesting,
and you get a bit bored with it. My advice is to NOT go back to school if
possible (way too expensive these days). Find or learn outside of that,
on-the-job if possible. I think its important for all white guys these days
to think ouside the box on work, as we are targets for elimination all
over. Owning your own business is one way to do that. I'm sure there are
others.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan, if you're looking for a career, look for something that has a solid future and cannot be "outsourced" overseas or to an illegal invader. Decide if you want something blue-collar/trade or white-collar professional and see what the requirements are for that type of position/career. Watch out for these larger multi-national corporations, they have absolutely NO allegiance to American workers and will layoff thousands to save a piddly 2-3% on their bottom line. Also, look for a career sector that won't fluctuate too much with economic changes. In the business world, always remember to CYA (Cover Your @$$) and DTA (Don't Trust Anyone)...especially in (what was) Corporate "America".
smiley2.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Have you considered the sex industry? It's hard to break into but I understand the fringe benefits are great.
smiley36.gif

But seriously, what about welfare? Why work, wouldn't you rather sit around all day and hang out? Think about it, what do people want most? Time off from their jobs. Being unemployed is like being on vacation all of the time, without all the hassle of travel. And there's plenty of money to be made in the black market.

Enough joking around. Go into sales. It's almost like not working. Sell stuff to people. You already have learned how stupid people are from the way they swallow the lies of the caste system. Just think of all of those suckers with money to spend. As a salesman you can travel, play golf, go to the strip clubs and ball games with clients. It's a great life. You just have to learn to lie. Look at lawyers, they're the biggest liers of all and they're loaded. But skip all the school and the education costs. Start selling stuff. You'll be glad you did!

KG2422

Mentor
Teach and coach. Fight the system we are always complaining about. That's one way to do it.Edited by: KG2422

Menelik

Mentor
KG2422 said:
Teach and coach. Fight the system we are always complaining about. That's one way to do it.

I would strongly advise against that if you are looking to "fight the system." I teach in a public school and it is very politically correct. I suspect that all public schools are. I have seen teachers fired or not have their contracts renewed for bogus reasons and not being able to do a damn thing about it. The county I work in is Title I, low on the socioeconomic scale, and predominately black. I enjoy the job and am treated very well but I also don't make any waves or call undue attention to myself. I keep my political and personal views to myself. I was hired to teach history and thats what I try to do.
smiley2.gif