Bryant Gumbel sl*gs Winter Olympics

KG2422

Mentor
He is nothing but an ugly mongrel. You can tell he is part white. Maybe that is his excuse for not being able to whip his way out of a wet paper sack. What a soft slob. He has no business commentating on sports.
smiley11.gif

His comments made it onto Drudge's page.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gumbel's racist remarks finally made the news. This article refers to the "many angry posts at HBO's Real Sports Bulletin Boards." That's us, among others. We helped give Gumbel's anti-white rant some legs!
smiley32.gif
Although this isn't a major site, the article was linked to on the Drudge Report, which gets over 12 million visitors per day.

http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh very often, but today I was driving and turned the radio on. Limbaugh mentioned Gumbel's comments with his usual belly laugh. Rush criticized Gumbel for attacking the Republican Party by calling the Winter Olympics "like a GOP Convention. This upset Limbaugh, NOT Gumbel's remarks that belittled the Winter Games athletes.

White_Savage

Mentor
You know, if any black but Gumbel had said it, I'd be outraged. But coming from a guy who would probably get his ass kicked in a fight with 85% percent of the White men out there (95% if I factor out the old and cripples), it's just funny.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Now that Shani Davis has won gold in the 1000m, Gumbel will probably point out that the only event in which a black affalete competed, he won. This will *prove* that if more blacks competed in the Winter Games, they would dominate those events like they do other sports.

As someone who had to work on a show with Gumbel several times years
ago, I suggest a way to irritate him. Instead of adding to all the predictable
hate mail that he has been getting, merely send him an e-mail that asks
"How's Buffy"? Or ask if he still DEMANDS that camera shots of him standing
show him from the waist up, ONLY! (I believe he had this written into his
contract in the late 80's) I won't get into who Buffy is, heh, but I can tell you
for a fact he screams, cries and wails to make sure that his enormous, and I
mean huge for his size, arse is not shown on camera. He is extremely
sensitve about it. Since he has such racist inclinations, it's time to hold him
to the fire. Wish I had chimed in on this earlier.

Anyway, no matter what Gumbel speaks about, gets into, just fire those
remarks or tidbits at him. He will be rattled, I guarantee it.

I do not know the sexual orientaion of Johnny Wier, but he has proven to me that he is more of a man that Bryan Gumbal.
smiley36.gif
Then again most women have more balls that Gumbal.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If Gumble isn't fired or made to grovel for his job, there is no justice in this world. Think about it if any white journalist said something like well I don't watch the sprints because there are no white finalists what kind of crap would rain down on him. Damn the anti-racist Cosell almost got fired for referring to a player in loving terms as a monkey and everybody knew Howard had no ill will towards Black Americans.........
Edited by: white is right

G

Dont forget all the criticisim Limbaugh faced a few years ago and yet Gumble gets no punishment.

speedster

Mentor
William Houston in today's Globe and Mail dedicated a couple of paragraphs in his Truth and Rumours column to Bryant Gumbel.Houston wrote how many people were offended including NBC Olympic analyst Carol Lewis who is black.But Gumbel refused to apologize saying to those who are offended "don't understand the English language." Apparently Mike Wise of the Washinton Post noted that had Bob Costas complained that the NBA was too black he would be forced to apologize or more likely be fired.I know this is just a small piece but at least Gumby's comments did get some reaction.

texasheat

Actually, a much bigger fish weighed in on Gumbel's ridiculous comments, and it's on ESPN'S website.The article is entitled "On Olympics and color, Gumbel should know better" and it's written by Gene Wojciechowski. His comments echo a lot of what has been said here regarding Gumbel's stupid comments:

"Question of the Day:

Was Bryant Gumbel's necktie restricting the air flow to his brain during a recent episode of "HBO's Real Sports?"

I hope so. Otherwise, Gumbel has some 'splaining to do for his dissing and dismissing of the shusshing and wusshing that goes on at the Winter Olympics.

After saying he dislikes the Winter Games and refuses to watch them, Gumbel casually mentioned, "So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention."

Gumbel then took a blowtorch to figure skaters, calling them, "pseudo-athletes," mocking their "kiss-and-cry area," and criticizing a system under which a "panel of subjective judges decides who won."

OK, let's count the number of true statements made by Gumbel. It won't take long.

Yes, Bryant, there is a paucity of blacks in the Winter Games. Lillehammer was mostly lily white in 1994. Same for Nagano and Salt Lake City. And, there isn't much color in Torino, either.

But Gumbel's not watching the snow-and-ice edition of the Olympics because there aren't enough blacks is like me saying I'm going to boycott the NBA All-Star Game because there aren't any white-American players (the fifth time in the last eight years, according to Michael Wilbon's research). It's a cheap argument, filled with more holes than Johnny Weir's fishnet costume.

Look, I don't know why there aren't more black winter Olympians. Geography? Culture? Economics? I'm also guessing not a lot of kids, black or white, put their heads on their pillows hoping that one day they can medal in curling. And if they do, how much does a whisk broom cost?

If you want to ignore the Olympics because you can't pick Latvia out of a police geographical lineup, or you think the biathlon is an alternative lifestyle, or you're convinced skeleton is the dumbest sport ever invented, then, please, stick a fork in Bob Costas and the NBC fireplace set.

But to do a Gumbel and reach for the TV clicker based on contestant color is ignorance personified.

I'm no ringhead (that's what regular sportswriters call Olympic beat writers), but Austria's Thomas Morgenstern sure looked like the world's greatest ski jumper during his gold medal win in the men's K120. The guy was in the air longer than some commuter flights. Just because he happened to be white didn't ruin it for me. And as far as I know, there isn't an anti-black ski jumping conspiracy in place, is there?

Chicago's Shani Davis became the first African-American to win Winter Olympic individual gold. Is his victory any less meaningful because there weren't any other blacks in the 1,000-meter speedskating competition?

Is it Norway's fault that its population is more than 90 percent Caucasian, and that Norwegians know how to ski better than Bode Miller these days? Their medals have more to do with skill level, not skin color.

And I don't recall Gumbel, who adores golf, popping off about the paucity of blacks when he hosted NBC's coverage of the PGA Tour in 1990. Does he boycott watching the majors because Tiger Woods is the only African-American on a Tour that is whiter than a sleeve of Titleists?

I'm not watching much of these games, but it isn't because I think ice skaters are pseudo-athletes. They're athletes. Period. OK, they're athletes in sequins and chiffon, but they do amazing things on a blade of steel not much thicker than the width of Gumbel's collar stays.

As for the kiss-and-cry area, Gumbel should know better than anyone that those post-skate reactions are what producers call "good television." They have the same things in baseball. They're called dugouts.

And while we're on the topic of getting in touch with your soft side, Davis wore a White Sox cap and held a stuffed toy bear during his victory lap in the 1,000. Gumbel is probably anti-stuffed toys, too.

Yes, Bryant, there is also a panel of subjective judges who sometimes do ridiculous things. Guess what, G-man? The same thing sometimes happens in the diving competition at the Summer Olympics. Remember? You anchored NBC's coverage of the 1988 Summer Games in Seoul.

Of course, the same subjective calls are made by refs during your beloved March Madness. And in baseball by umpires. In football (Seattle Seahawks fans will fill you in) by line judges. And by rules officials in your precious golf. Gonna tune those out, too?

If Gumbel does indeed ditch the Winter Olympics every time they light the flame, then he's missed some hellacious moments: The Miracle on Ice at Lake Placid ... Eric Heiden's five golds at those same 1980 Games ... Bill Johnson winning the 1984 downhill (memo to Bryant: "Real Sports" just did a story on Johnson) ... Great Britain's Michael "Eddie The Eagle" Edwards surviving the ski jumping competition at the 1988 Calgary Games ... Bonnie Blair winning gold at Albertville, and a unified Germany in the 1992 Games ... Tonya and Nancy at Lillehammer, along with Dan Jansen's gold ... Picabo Street's gold at Nagano ... Sarah Hughes' figure skating stunner at Salt Lake in 2002 ... and now Davis' gold at Torino.

You want to stiff the games, Bryant? That's fine. Just come up with a better reason, will you?

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com."

Here's a link to the article:

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojci echowski_gene&id=2337773&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1 pos1[/url]

guest301

Hall of Famer
Welcome to Castefootball,texasheat.Excellent article and first posting. I used to live in Texas the first thirty-five years of my life and I certainly know all about the heat in Texas! Now I know all about the cold weather in northeast Ohio.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bryant Gumbel can make racist remarks about white athletes with impunity, but let him criticize how the mighty NFL operates, and it's instant "controversy." I hope he loses his upcoming play-by-play announcing gig over this because it would be his just desserts for his long, arrogant and unchallenged support of the Caste System.
<H1>Gumbel's remarks about Upshaw get NFL's attention</H1>

NEW YORK -- The job status of Bryant Gumbel, scheduled to be the play-by-play broadcaster on the eight late-season games on the NFL's in-house network, could be the subject of a discussion by NFL officials after Gumbel's suggestion that Paul Tagliabue show his successor "where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash."

Tagliabue said Monday that incoming commissioner Roger Goodell and Steve Bornstein, who runs the NFL Network, will discuss the remarks after Goodell takes office Sept. 1.

Gumbel addressed his closing remarks on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" last Tuesday to Goodell.

"Before he cleans out his office," Gumbel said. "Have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash. By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted. Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch."

Tagliabue's response: "What Gumbel said about Gene Upshaw and our owners is about as irresponsible as anything I've heard in a long time."

Upshaw did not immediately return a call placed by The Associated Press.

However, a number of owners have said that they thought they had given away too much to the union in a last-minute six-year contract extension that added almost a billion dollars in the league's contribution to the players.

And Upshaw told the AP several weeks ago that he was able to get more from the owners than he had agreed to just a few days before the owners finally agreed on the new deal.

Gumbel, once the host of the NBC pregame show and later co-host of "The Today Show," said when he was hired that no restrictions had been put on his ability to comment on what he sees on the field.

"It's a lot like covering any story," he said. "You see what is front of you and you report on it."

The two-year-old NFL Network will televise eight late-season games on Thursday and Saturday nights this season.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2556517