Bryant Gumbel sl*gs Winter Olympics

Matra1

Mentor
According to several forums Bryant Gumbel put down the Winter Olympics on his HBO television show.

I don't have a transcript but one of the posters - 82katana - at the site I've linked to below comes has details.

Gumbel said: the Winter Olympics make a GOP Convention look diverse; the games are just filler between the end of the NFL season and March Madness; and try not to laugh when the athletes are called the world's greatest despite few blacks being involved.

http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID=500000241

guest301

Hall of Famer
What a moron he has always been. He doesn't think it takes talent to be a downhill skier going 80 miles a hour down a slope without getting killed. I would understand if he was only talking about curling but he just truly hates White America and possibly the fact that he isn't just all that important anymore. Except for the boxing ppv's ..who watches HBO for the sports (and him) anyway.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the link, Matra. I posted it on the homepage. Wouldn't be a bad idea for folks here to register on that HBO bulletin board and add their educated opinion about Gumbel's pro-Caste screed. Every comment so far opposes what he said.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Check out CNNSI.com's current homepage. It's as racist as Gumbel, but in a different way. It has the "top ten American Olympians to keep your eye on." Only three of the ten are white men. Two are Negroes -- speed skater Shani Davis and Vonetta Flowers, a bobsledder, probably the only two representatives of God's Chosen Master Athletic Race who will be at the Olympic Village. The rest are white girls. How come Jeremy Wariner wasn't an "American Olympian to keep your eye on" in the last Summer games?

Matra1

Mentor
I've also just started a thread on this at Majority Rights with a bit more text. I've quoted Don Wassall regarding CNNSI.com.

I didn't actually see the show but I can picture his smug face as he said "try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Blacks".
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Matra1

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think we are being to hard on Bryant Gumball. I mean, he is the guy who "cried his eyeballs out" when Joe Frazier beat Cassius Clay in 1971!
smiley36.gif
Gumbel is a bigot and an arrogant skull full of mush! I plan on voicing my opinion about him on the HBO site.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to HBO regarding Mr. Gumbel:

I am writing today to make known my great displeasure and disgust with Mr. Bryant Gumbel's remarks concerning the Winter Olympics.

Mr. Gumbel's remarks were racist and insulting to the athletes, both white and black, who perform during the Winter Games. You might want to inform your "Real Sports" host that there ARE black athletes competing in the Winter Games, although few in number. As a matter of fact, 3 out of the top 10 athletes listed on CNNSI's "Athletes to Watch..." page were black!

Does the fact that the Winter Games athletes consist primarily of white athletes in anyway diminish their relevance? Their worthiness for acclaim?

To the officials at HBO: Would you allow such comments to stand were they said about black athletes by a white host?

I have long been a subscriber to HBO programming, and frequently purchase boxing pay per view events. I have long respected HBO's efforts to produce quality television. I therefore look forward to the swift and just action that I'm sure you will take in this matter.

I expect that you will see the severity of this matter and remove Bryant Gumbel as host of Real Sports, if not fire him from HBO entirely.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's my comments on the HBO board:

Bryant Gumbel might as well come out and admit he is a racist. I have never heard him be openly complimentary about any white athletes. He is like most other "sportscasters" who spread the myth of black athletic supremacy through the media microphones that are so easily supplied to them. He should be fined for his comments at the least, but the fitting punishment would be getting fired. I can't wait to see the white dominated basketball powerhouses of Duke, Gonzaga, and West Virginia lighten up his "superior" March Madness!Edited by: Colonel_Reb

hedgehog

Mentor
I remember about 4 years ago while flipping through the channels I caught the Today show, or whatever that show he does. They said something about a segment on the NHL coming up. As an avid hockey fan I decided to keep the program on until the NHL segment.(I was a bit curious.)
The segment was done by Bryant Gumbel, and Gumbel was grinning from ear to ear to announce that "the NHL's top scorer and top brawler were both African American" (Jarome Iginla and Peter Worrel.) and then he had some segment on those two. I thought how pathetic, I guess this warranted a Today show story.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Derian Hatcher would beat the crap out of Peter Worrell and any other brother in the NHL. He's too busy concentrating on being a better hockey player though.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I recommend actually writing to HBO to express your displeasure, in addition to or in lieu of merely posting on the message board. I know, I know, in reality we are likely to have little impact on HBO, should they even decide to address this matter, but you have to try.

The Duke

As of right now there are 35 comments on the HBO board, all offended to varying degrees by Gumbel. That's impressive. It shows there are a lot of sports fans besides us who don't like anti-white racism in sports. Of course arrogant black supremacists like Gumbel help us because he obviously doen't know the meaning of subtle when it comes to expressing his views.

Gumbel does make me laugh out loud sometimes when they show his face when someone is answering one of his questions. Has anyone ever seen a more smug, arrogant face?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Duke...Bill Maher comes to mind....How about Spike Lee

Deacon

Guru
The ironic thing is Bryant is married to a white woman named Hilary Quinlan. What a f'n dumbass he is! He acts all pro-black but yet loves the white girls. What a damn hypocrite. Your opinion is null and void you dumb sh*thead.

And what about his wife, huh? I wonder what she's thinking. Does she agree with all his anti-white crap, or what? She's white trash. Screw her!!

Gary

Mentor
The Winter games have just started, so far Norway has the most medals 4. We shall see who tops the list when the games are over. Bryant Gumbel and every other racist who dislikes White Men can kiss my rear end!!!

I would pay good money to watch Bryan Gumbel go down the ski jump just once. He wouldn't have to go far, just survive. Then there is the alpine sking, bobsleds, and to see him huff and puff on the cross country skiss.
I admire the athletics of the winder Olympics. Most of their sports are dangerous! Just to survive is an effort in themselves. A true sports fan understands this

bigunreal

Mentor
First of all, Bryant Gumbel has a whole lot of white (and perhaps Indian or Samoan or something else) in him. I don't know anything about his background, but I would bet that he was raised in at least an upper middle-class setting. He is the kind of person who should make us all realize just how hopeless the situation is. He speaks the language well, is obviously properly educated, did not come from the "streets," and doesn't have a trace of "homey" in him. He is, for all intents and purposes, white. Yet he has the exact same kind of twisted, absurd view about race that your average ghetto thug has. Like Charles Barkley and so many other white-hating blacks, he has a white wife. Think about that; how can you marry a person who is a part of an ethnic group you despise? As was mentioned previously, what does this say about her, or Barkley's wife, or any other white married to a racist black? You can post all the messages on that board that you want, and even go to the trouble of sending letters of protest to HBO. They will not do anything to Gumbel. The next time that any media organization, or sports team, or government agency, or any other company or corporation punishes an outspoken black for his racist and inflammatory comments it will be the first time. This has gone way beyond any double standard; is there such a thing as a tripie standard?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Has anyone here seen the episode in question personally? I haven't been able to find a single news story about the comments anywhere on the net, excluding message boards. Although I don't expect HBO or any other media to take exception to Gumbel's statements, I'd still like to verify that he actually said what we've attributed to him. If you find any links or stories about this, please post.

Thanks!

Weltner

Guru
KJV1 said:
I remember about 4 years ago while flipping through the channels I caught the Today show, or whatever that show he does. They said something about a segment on the NHL coming up. As an avid hockey fan I decided to keep the program on until the NHL segment.(I was a bit curious.)
The segment was done by Bryant Gumbel, and Gumbel was grinning from ear to ear to announce that "the NHL's top scorer and top brawler were both African American" (Jarome Iginla and Peter Worrel.) and then he had some segment on those two. I thought how pathetic, I guess this warranted a Today show story.

The black racist devil has always been this way,throughout his entire career;going back 30 years,to his days as a local "personality" to his years on NBC sports coverage,through his days on the Today show,and up to today.And,a pioneer for other racist black sports casters,commentators and "personalities" to pollute the already anti-White propaganda waves of TV.He has always been,and always will be,A BLACK RACIST DEVIL - MORE RACIST THAN ANYTHING HE EVER THOUGHT WHITEY WAS!!!!
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Weltner

Weltner

Guru
White Shogun said:
I recommend actually writing to HBO to express your displeasure, in addition to or in lieu of merely posting on the message board. I know, I know, in reality we are likely to have little impact on HBO, should they even decide to address this matter, but you have to try.

Hell no,HBO won't listen to human like us,and fire his evil ass.HBO has always had a history of political attitudes and midsets,just like his,from the beginning of their network.He'll probably be there til the day he dies,longer than Larry Merchant.Because,HBO is not like regular networks - you know,where you have to get by according to ratings.Shows on that thing can stay on as long as they please.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Weltner

Weltner

Guru
The Duke said:
As of right now there are 35 comments on the HBO board, all offended to varying degrees by Gumbel. That's impressive. It shows there are a lot of sports fans besides us who don't like anti-white racism in sports. Of course arrogant black supremacists like Gumbel help us because he obviously doen't know the meaning of subtle when it comes to expressing his views.

Gumbel does make me laugh out loud sometimes when they show his face when someone is answering one of his questions. Has anyone ever seen a more smug, arrogant face?

More than that,since I checked.

Matra1

Mentor
The Gumbel comments were also discussed at the Lonely Planet forum. That's where I first spotted them. Given the similarity of the remarks attributed to Gumbel at both forums I think we can be pretty sure that he's not being taken out of context.

foreverfree

Mentor
A couple of years ago I watched an NFL Films Lost Treasures show on ESPN Classic. They were showing outtakes from the early Super Bowls. Among the outtakes from SB XI (Raiders over Viqueens) was footage of Mr. Gumbel (then with NBC Sports) welcoming viewers to the SB XI pregame show and saying "The Roman Circus was never so grand" in a tone more suitable for reading a phone book. Gumbel's never put much enthusiasm into his hyping.

John

For all the reasons there are to hate Bryant Gumbel -- and there are meny -- the thing that p*sses me off the most about him is that he was at the forefront of what I call the "Intelligent-Sounding Negro" movement. For reference, James Earl Jones is, of course, the founding father of the ISN phenomenon.

Listen closely to Gumbel when he speaks -- the guy is literally chewing-off the insides of his cheeks in an excruciating effort to impart an odd, pseudo-British inflection to his voice. When added to his natural African-from-America voice, it results in a ridiculously phony quasi-patois (I'm just making-up words here, but there isn't a real term to describe it).

Of course, "intelligent-sounding" ain't the same as "intelligent." Far from it. But to the simple-minded black, he truly believes that they he be just as bright as a White man, if only apes White speech patterns. It's despicable.

You also notice ISN used by each and every black "judge" depicted on each and every fictional television legal drama. Read using Gumbel/James Earl Jones' voice: "Counselor - I will remind you that this is a court of law, and you are to address this tribunal with the proper measure of respect." See what I mean?

JD074

Master
bigunreal said:
As was mentioned previously, what does this say about her, or Barkley's wife, or any other white married to a racist black?

I don't want to even think about it. It's a nauseating thought. I can't fathom it.